Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times

Advertisements

I recently composed a "functional resume" for a job at my husband's workplace. The managers there were eager to receive my resume and have me in mind for a few open positions that my husband has talked with them about re my qualifications and about how I have very similar background experience.

They got the resume and cover letter yesterday and told him to tell me to go online and complete the application for the corporate office.

The app wanted "last 3 jobs" or "last 10 years" and account for all periods of unemployment. Well, fearing that if I listed ALL the jobs of the last 10 years (with 3 lay-offs in 7 years) and these jobs not encompassing the periods of employment where I had the most specific experience for the job I am applying for, I sort of "lied by omission" on the application.

Meaning, I only put the jobs down that I listed on the functional resume and my periods of unemployment, some of where were really times when I worked other jobs that I did not list.

Now I am worried that I did that and that this might cost me this job if they somehow found out.

Do you think I blew it?

I sure hope not because I really want this job and truthfully I felt that if I listed all the jobs and lay-offs then that would harm my application too.

I am educationally over-qualified for this job but I have wanted to transition into this field and even took some coursework for it when I was long-term unemployed. I am desperate for a new career direction, which this would give me.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
Pure speculation for my reply here. Not really sure if it will hurt your chances or not, hard to say being a total outsider. I think it makes sense what you did on the online application (leaving out irrelevant jobs). I personally believe what helps you more obviously is they know about you through your husband and the online application is a must to get a job there as it is most anywhere these days.
You also don't know how many other people they may consider for all those jobs.

I have no idea the size of this company, but some medium to larger-sized companies have policies about employees being related to each other. Sometimes both related employees can work there, but in different departments while other companies do not allow related people to be hired on at all. I think that could be a potentially bigger issue than what you did with your online application.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
No point worrying about it at this point. Just assume it is fine and see what happens.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Don't fret. You'll be fine. I did a 6-month stint at a company before quitting and left it off my resume as well.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
IF -- IF -- you are ever asked about it....answer very matter of factly presuming you did nothing wrong....(which you didn't). You presumed they wanted only relevant information and experience.....and move on.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Your best bet I would say is email or contact the person who asked you to fill out the online application and explain you had given them a functional resume and why. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Thanks for all your responses! I did take your advice and emailed that I was only providing ''related positions'' on the app.

Evidently it was acceptable as I got called yesterday and I have an interview tomorrow!

If the issue comes up I will explain it via the use of a ''functional'' resume.

Wish me luck!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
It's too late to worry now. Just have a drink and forget about it.

My resume does not match the job application. A resume should have only "relevant experience". A job application will request for "entire work history" or "relevant work history". For relevant experience, they do not want a fast food job from 5 years ago. The entire work history may be used as a background check, so they will require the fast food job.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I think it all depends on the company and how thorough of a background check they decide to do. One time I applied to a position that will ultimately require a top secret clearance. I made sure to put down everything because I'm quite certain I wouldn't get away with lying about anything.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Thanks for all your responses! I did take your advice and emailed that I was only providing ''related positions'' on the app.

Evidently it was acceptable as I got called yesterday and I have an interview tomorrow!

If the issue comes up I will explain it via the use of a ''functional'' resume.

Wish me luck!
I hereby wish you luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment