Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:49 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times

Advertisements

bioscience is great if you get a PHD, otherwise it is a slog of epic proportions. Any industry primarily run by academics is going to have a lot of posturing and credential flashing.

IMO transitioning to project management, engineering support, or other more operational roles within the science industry (i.e. working for a company that makes a LIMS system or a biotech) is a nice way to keep some momentum with your science background while getting out of the research track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 03:36 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
That's one of my plans is to go for my CLS. I've got a BS and MS, and 7-8 years of full time experience in lab environment under my belt, hopefully I just have to take the test and not do much else. I've looked into the process and looked into the area and I can easily get $60k a year if I go this route.
No you have to take an entire extra year internship/class combo. Most cost 15-20k in tuition. When you pass everything, then you can sit for your ASCP. Unfortunately you can't just study for the test, you have to go through a NAACLS accredited CLS program to be eligible to take the exam.

If you already are at the MSC level look into Pathologist's Assistant. Pay is a good 8-10k higher and you have a bit more autonomy. It's a 2 year masters degree I believe. Physician's assistant is another thing to consider if you like working with patients rather than in a lab, and would probably net you 80-100k a year.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
bioscience is great if you get a PHD, otherwise it is a slog of epic proportions. Any industry primarily run by academics is going to have a lot of posturing and credential flashing.

IMO transitioning to project management, engineering support, or other more operational roles within the science industry (i.e. working for a company that makes a LIMS system or a biotech) is a nice way to keep some momentum with your science background while getting out of the research track.
I agree on the LIMS systems, not enough qualified people there! Then again, in order to get into this field, having a degree in computer science would be highly helpful. Biology/Chemistry PhDs are often overspecialized and lead to long term post-doc hell. An engineering or computer science PhD grad would be much more sought after by companies as their skills apply to a much wider variety of industries, and they have excellent math and problem solving skills. Even in biotech/medical device industries they would have much better job security and could command a higher salary. Engineering support roles and the like might go to a science grad, but it's much likelier to go to an engineering grad if possible. Choose your major wisely people!

Lots of R & D is contracted out to CROs that hire people as temps and pay very low. Another large portion is going overseas. The reason is R & D is just costly and seen as an "expense" by management. The cheaper it can be done the better. Marketing departments are often held in higher regard by management because they directly bring in money in the short-term to the company.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
No you have to take an entire extra year internship/class combo. Most cost 15-20k in tuition. When you pass everything, then you can sit for your ASCP. Unfortunately you can't just study for the test, you have to go through a NAACLS accredited CLS program to be eligible to take the exam.

If you already are at the MSC level look into Pathologist's Assistant. Pay is a good 8-10k higher and you have a bit more autonomy. It's a 2 year masters degree I believe. Physician's assistant is another thing to consider if you like working with patients rather than in a lab, and would probably net you 80-100k a year.
I looked into going the CLS/MT route but most of what I read didn't seem worth it. It is a lot of extra work for not much better pay $38-50k, seems a dead end job, bad hours, kind of the bottom of the health care hierarchy, a lot of complaints about the enviroment and condescending treatment from doctors and nurses, Also a lot of states with less regulation they use MLT's more. Eventually I think what will happen is there will be no distinction between MLT's and MT's and everyone will need a BSC and license and get paid at MLT rates.

If you are going healthcare you might as well go PA, PT, Med, Nursing, pharm, or full on MD rather than set your self up for more poorly paid lab B_tch Work.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
Wow, this thread is an eye-opener. My 13-year-old son is mainly interested in math and science at school. I had always thought that these fields were promising career-wise and had been subtly pushing him towards a high school that specializes in these areas. Do those with experience think that there are any fields of science (or math) that are worth pursuing for stable and relatively well-paying work? Now I'm thinking that a general education would be a better idea for him at this point.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:40 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Sure healthcare, engineering, computer science, or have him study business mathematics, financial modeling etc. Just stay away from lab science and science grad school.

Science BSc=poverty
Science MSc=same as BSc
Science PhD=Post doc Limbo and/or poverty

Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM

162 posts, read 228,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
BTW arround here the difference between $35k and $70k here is living in a crap-hole apartment scraping by to a decent middle class lifestyle. and that is $1026 biweekly vs $1892 especially if you took student loans to finance that expensive biology degree that netted you the pay of a fast food manager who is better off because he/she doesn't have student loans.
Sad to say, cashiers and the HS graduate driving the fork-lift were getting paid more or equal to the amount I was when I graduated with a BS in Biochem.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:49 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Sure healthcare, engineering, computer science, or have him study business mathematics, financial modeling etc. Just stay away from lab science and science grad school.

Science BSc=poverty
Science MSc=same as BSc
Science PhD=Post doc Limbo and/or poverty
Thank you - that's valuable advice. Actually he's really into math, but I didn't have any idea of what one could do with a math degree. Do you know if business mathematics and financial modeling are fields that someone gets into with a math major, or would someone study finance/business? Any other fields that are worthwhile for someone studying math? It's really what he's best at so far.

Edit: Do people here think the long-term prospects for computer science are good? I'm concerned with jobs that could potentially be outsourced. I've done some work in translation, and downward pressure on wages are extreme due to outsourcing.

Last edited by yodel; 11-13-2013 at 07:01 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

Are you serious? Sounds like a scam to get money, why on earth with an MS and 7-8 years of experience would I need to go back to school for another year... Before you could just take the test (years ago anyways). I looked through the list, I only see 4-5 courses I didn't take in college. That I wouldn't mind but I don't want to repeat all the other junk... :P Lame.... oh well!

I'm done with school, never going back. Only way I'd consider it is if it were 100% paid.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Thank you - that's valuable advice. Actually he's really into math, but I didn't have any idea of what one could do with a math degree. Do you know if business mathematics and financial modeling are fields that someone gets into with a math major, or would someone study finance/business? Any other fields that are worthwhile for someone studying math? It's really what he's best at so far.

Edit: Do people here think the long-term prospects for computer science are good? I'm concerned with jobs that could potentially be outsourced. I've done some work in translation, and downward pressure on wages are extreme due to outsourcing.
Engineering if he likes math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment