Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:51 PM

486 posts, read 991,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I think for most people, public sector is better. In NY public workers get good pay/benefits and the public employee unions CSEA, PEF, NYSUT, and NYSCOPBA are extremely powerful. But the public sector basically guarantees you a lifetime of mediocrity. For some, private sector is better because you have the chance to do more good (or evil). Most will not, but in the private sector you have the chance.
In NY state government jobs are highly coveted. Government workers in NY make great pay and have good benefits. Personally I have never met a NYS government worker who quit his/her government job to find a "better" job in the private sector.

Good luck getting a government job in NY if you don't know anyone who can get you in the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
In NY state government jobs are highly coveted. Government workers in NY make great pay and have good benefits. Personally I have never met a NYS government worker who quit his/her government job to find a "better" job in the private sector.

Good luck getting a government job in NY if you don't know anyone who can get you in the system.

You have to know someone to get a government job in NYC?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
Here's a comparison of federal compensation vs. private sector compensation.
Federal Pay vs. Private Sector Compensation - NYTimes.com

Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM

238 posts, read 315,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You have to know someone to get a government job in NYC?
I remember when I was still in college, my mother was still working for the Post Office. She told me she could talk to a good friend who could get me a job where they both worked right after I graduated. I declined.

I've worked for both public and private sector. I agree about job security, great health benefits, and the PTO..right now, I have been working at my job for nine years, and I am about to get 4 weeks vacation plus 2 weeks sick come July 1st.

I am remaining in the public sector-I learned an added bonus recently. Because I have 100K in grad school debt loans, I qualify under Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Just pay on time for ten years, and the rest of my debt is forgiven.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a public sector job, but I've never been in a union. The problem with that is that when it comes time, like now, for politicians in a bad economy to give those greedy public sector workers what-for in order to impress their constituents who imagine that the public sector employees sit at their desks playing solitaire all day, it's the non-union people who get their salaries and benefits cut. The union people are working without a contract now because any negotiations will mean that they also lose stuff, but since elections and campaigns have a schedule, the politicians can't wait around for that to be resolved.

It's not so bad for me because I've been there long enough that I'm OK as far as my pension and benefits go. The newer people do not get the same benefits we do and haven't for at least a decade. The people in power are making it as difficult and unpleasant as possible for long-time employees in order to force them out the door, and it's pretty much working.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I am really getting sick and tired of people thinking that ALL government workers are overpaid, lazy, union employees!

My daughter is a civilian employee with the Air Force, a DOD employee. She has a BS is software engineering and a MS in systems engineering, both from high level schools. She works hard, has been published, has received awards, and has been one of the youngest people put in charge of some important projects because she gets things done, and done correctly (she is currently not quite 30). She has top level security clearance and is currently working on cybersecurity fixes, as well as ways computers can keep our troops safer in the field and in the air. She is extremely busy with many top level projects, as well as having to deal with contractors and all the government red tape, and other crap (male & military egos) etc. She had several job offers right out of college, including Lockheed-Martin, but really wanted to be in civil service for the variety of experiences and responsibilities she would have. But since she has only been there since 2005, she does NOT.........REPEAT NOT.........have the huge pensions, etc. of the older workers. She has her own 401K, just like many private sector jobs as well as a very minimal pension. She hadn't gotten a raise in 2 years, and when she did it wasn't huge, as everybody assumes. She is NOT UNION either. Many, many of her friends from college in private sector are making much more than she is (Google, Amazon, Microsoft), but that doesn't bother her as she feels is is making a difference for the country and enjoys the actual work.......just not the political crap.

So yes, by all means, lets cut the pay and benefits people like my daughter. After all, we all KNOW that DOD employees are just a bunch of lazy, incompetent, overpaid government employees that are totally useless and do absolutely NOTHING for their country!!!! She is actually considering trying to move to another part of the government because of all the crap that she has to put up with as part of the DOD. Just exactly what this country, and our troops, need.........to lose people like her to other areas, or to the private sector.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
One thing I just learned about being a government employee is you don't see "medical" on the pay stub for deductions.

I been looking for the word medical for like 6 weeks and was finally told by my supervisor that you don't see medical on the stub in regards to health benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment