Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

As I went through my mail in my mail box at work today I realized that a personal card with a hand written note and a photo had been sent to me by a former employee. She'd married and moved to the other side of the country and she and her husband just welcomed their new baby boy last December.

During the pregnancy she and I stayed in touch. This was her first child; I've raised 5 kids. She asked me a lot of questions and we became rather close. She said she'd sent me a card and photo of the baby a while back, but I never received it. So she sent it again and this time told me it was on the way.

We've got a secretary here that's the nosiest person I've ever met. Now, I'll go ahead and preface this with the fact that I do not like her as a person at all. From the day I began here I've had to remind her of her place a couple times when she started telling me what to do. She's the secretary. I'm a manager.

Now, I don't pull the manager card, it's not my style. I don't see any difference between an Executive member and an hourly associate. I eat lunch and hang out with hourly associates all the time. All of my employees have said I"ve been the easiest boss they've ever worked for. I'm not a micro-manager at all; as long as they do their job and meet deadlines I don't bother them. I don't think they should have their job and be paid if I can't trust them to do the work.

Anyway, this secretary seems to think she owns the place and can be very difficult. However, she's really good at sucking up to the boss so she's always gotten away with murder, which makes life even more difficult. But when I went through my mailbox today, I realized that my personal mail was already opened! She's the only person that gets the mail - it's policy here - so I know she's the one that opened it. I was livid!

So, if mail is sent to me at work - personal mail - does that mean the hotel has the right to go through it? Am I being too sensitive? I mean, there was nothing big in there. Just a thank you note for being there for her when she needed someone and a picture of the baby. But what if it had been a truly 'personal' piece of mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It's best to have your personal mail delivered to your home.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:45 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Privacy laws pertain to the person the mail is addressed to, not the street address. So addressed to you and not the company, you would be entitled to privacy. Furthermore, any inspections of mail would need to be part of a uniform company policy by someone who follows established guidelines for what will be opened and what will be done after the contents are viewed. They should never throw away your mail without your permission.

You should never plan to have personal mail sent to work, but obviously you can't control what other people, i.e. the senders, do. If people know your work address, it is bound to happen occasionally. So you need to put a stop to this behavior by the secretary. Not just for you but for everyone else that works there too. This is one occasion where the manager card is necessary.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Privacy laws pertain to the person the mail is addressed to, not the street address. So addressed to you and not the company, you would be entitled to privacy. Furthermore, any inspections of mail would need to be part of a uniform company policy by someone who follows established guidelines for what will be opened and what will be done after the contents are viewed. They should never throw away your mail without your permission.

You should never plan to have personal mail sent to work, but obviously you can't control what other people, i.e. the senders, do. If people know your work address, it is bound to happen occasionally. So you need to put a stop to this behavior by the secretary. Not just for you but for everyone else that works there too. This is one occasion where the manager card is necessary.

In some cases you may have to if you are expecting a package that is too big to fit in your mailbox that's being delivered by UPS and you are not home to get it.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
In some cases you may have to if you are expecting a package that is too big to fit in your mailbox that's being delivered by UPS and you are not home to get it.
There are millions of workers who can't have mail delivered at work--service sector workers, first responders, federal workers, etc. Entire segments of the workforce. Somehow they manage to get by.

Rent a mailbox at a package store like Mailboxes Etc where they will let you use their street address for package delivery, or make an arrangement with a neighbor who is home during they day. Or arrange for Saturday delivery. Or have it held at UPS/Fedex and pick it up on the weekend or your day off. There are plenty of ways to get around having mail delivered at work.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

It depends -- sometimes that will make it worse, they might not open the mail but they'll pay extra attention if they think someone has something to hide. Snoops love any hint that there's a good reason to be snooping.

Sometimes the workplace mail rooms are very careless -- if your name looks like someone else's name, that's who gets your mail, people can open mail advertantly or inadvertantly.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
As I went through my mail in my mail box at work today I realized that a personal card with a hand written note and a photo had been sent to me by a former employee. She'd married and moved to the other side of the country and she and her husband just welcomed their new baby boy last December.

During the pregnancy she and I stayed in touch. This was her first child; I've raised 5 kids. She asked me a lot of questions and we became rather close. She said she'd sent me a card and photo of the baby a while back, but I never received it. So she sent it again and this time told me it was on the way.

We've got a secretary here that's the nosiest person I've ever met. Now, I'll go ahead and preface this with the fact that I do not like her as a person at all. From the day I began here I've had to remind her of her place a couple times when she started telling me what to do. She's the secretary. I'm a manager.

Now, I don't pull the manager card, it's not my style. I don't see any difference between an Executive member and an hourly associate. I eat lunch and hang out with hourly associates all the time. All of my employees have said I"ve been the easiest boss they've ever worked for. I'm not a micro-manager at all; as long as they do their job and meet deadlines I don't bother them. I don't think they should have their job and be paid if I can't trust them to do the work.

Anyway, this secretary seems to think she owns the place and can be very difficult. However, she's really good at sucking up to the boss so she's always gotten away with murder, which makes life even more difficult. But when I went through my mailbox today, I realized that my personal mail was already opened! She's the only person that gets the mail - it's policy here - so I know she's the one that opened it. I was livid!

So, if mail is sent to me at work - personal mail - does that mean the hotel has the right to go through it? Am I being too sensitive? I mean, there was nothing big in there. Just a thank you note for being there for her when she needed someone and a picture of the baby. But what if it had been a truly 'personal' piece of mail?
Emails received on your company email address are the property of the company, and they have a right to go through it if they want. If you want to have private correspondence with people, you should use a personal email address.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:20 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's best to have your personal mail delivered to your home.
I'm aware of that. Did you read all the post or just the title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Emails received on your company email address are the property of the company, and they have a right to go through it if they want. If you want to have private correspondence with people, you should use a personal email address.
I knew they could read e-mail, just wasn't sure on personal e-mail.

Apparently some missed the reason it was sent here. It was a former co-worker. She and I became friends after she left. I didn't know she was sending me anything. The only address she had for me was work. I never asked anyone to send anything to my place of employment.

Thanks Kodaka - that's kind of what I was thinking. I did send an e-mail to the HR Director about it. I figured since I have pre-existing feelings about her to begin with, maybe this should be handled by someone that's not directly involved and can be more fair / less biased.

That said, I've talked to 2 co-workers this afternoon that both said she's gone through their mail as well. This includes guests that have sent personal thank you cards to staff. I'm just floored that anyone would have the nerve to open anyone else's mail. It's certainly not something I'd ever do. I guess we're all different though. She's made it quite clear she thinks she and the GM are the only people on property that should know every single thing that goes on around here.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
She's made it quite clear she thinks she and the GM are the only people on property that should know every single thing that goes on around here.
She's probably allowed to do this -- has done it all along and will continue to do it (long after you're gone). Things go on in many businesses that shouldn't. And sometimes these people get by with things because they fill the "right" people in -- they are even protected. If you try to take them on, you can be the one hurt in the end. You may be better off to move on to another job that doesn't allow this kind of thing in the first place.

I've seen more than one time where someone "mistakenly" opened someone else's pay check envelope - and they got by with it.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:47 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:

So, if mail is sent to me at work - personal mail - does that mean the hotel has the right to go through it?
Yes and no.

If you were absent from the workplace, and the piece was addressed as: "mrs1885 F&B Manager", your employer would be entitled to open it. If it just said "mrs1885", your employer would not be permitted to open it. They would only be permitted to refuse it and return it to its sender, un-opened. Having said that, it is quite possible that a postal automation machine could have ripped the letter open. For that reason, i personally would tread carefully on leveling a snooping accusation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment