Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,740 times

Advertisements

I once applied to a scam. It appeared legitimate, and then they'd call me but not leave a message.

Out of curiosity, I called them back over the weekend. They had NO message machine, just some automated message from a VoIP company...which made me suspicious.

I decided to pick up the phone when they called and they said where they were located. It was too far for me anyway, so I used that as an excuse. I did a quick google search and immediately found results about what a scam they were. What they do is sell their "job" as "executive administrative assistant," but actually give you perfume and drop you off in the middle of Minneapolis!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 12:15 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
It's Craigslist, aka scam city.

You're better off looking elsewhere for employment. Not saying there aren't genuine and real employment jobs on there, but it's mostly scams, and you have to end up filtering through a lot of garbage.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:46 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim12234 View Post
He just sent me this:

Kim,

You have failed to answer your phone. I will request you provide to me both your Home and Cell phone numbers. The material you are to get are listed below:

1. Business Size Check Paper ($24 for a pack at Officedepot)
2. FedEx Envelopes
3. FedEx Airway bills

You can get enough of the envelopes and airway bills as many as you can pick up. I wait your reply with the both phone numbers as requested.

Thank you,
Tim
Uh yeah, what the job here is that he wants you to mail the fake checks out for his scam. Do NOT get involved in this!

Old 08-03-2014, 05:16 PM

19 posts, read 30,368 times
Yes those jobs are totally scams. I have experienced very similar scams when I was searching for a home on craigslist a few months back. They asked for the same exact information and said that the place was mine know questions asked. All I had to do was send them the deposit and they would send me the keys because they had just moved to Africa. LOL. I don't really believe someone would fall for that

Old 08-07-2014, 01:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brie15243 View Post
So... I received this e-mail after responding to a job posting for a medical assistant.

"Hello,

I am replying back to your message concerning the job posted on Craigslist in which you're interested in,your application was received, unfortunately the position already been filled, but there's another position to be filled, if you will be interested.I have gone through your email and am quite impressed, i think you are the right person for this job I will deeply appreciate all genuine efforts to help me monitor and keep up to date with all my activities. I Most very often get my hands occupied because am working with many companies both states and outside, so it is imperative for me to have a worthy assistant who can Monitor and keep me up to date with my activities. As my assistant, your activities among other things will include: Make travel arrangements and Order office Supplies, running personal errands, Check Processing Filing documents mailing services, receive my mails and drop them off at UPS office, Shop for Gifts, Bill payment (Pay my bills on my behalf), Sit for delivery (at your home) or Pick items up at nearby post office at your convenience. Posting ads Quality communication etiquette Skills and good organizational skills Serious sense of humor required and mandatory to work with me Ability to handle highly sensitive and confidential information Perform duties with accuracy, quality, and integrity. You will be working 3 days in a week and you're to choose any 3 days of the week from Monday to Saturday that Will be preferable to you and you will be working 5 hrs. in these 3 days and that will be from 9 am-1 pm and we will be offering you $400.00 per week.

About me: My name is Adam Lambert I have a family of 3 and i deal with Art craft. I travel alot, hence the reason why I need an assistant to handle my affairs for Me on the home front when I am away on business which is usually quite often. I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away on a Business trip. I am in France so there will be no interview this position is home-based and flexible you can be in any location, working with me is basically about Instructions and following them, I need someone who can be able to meet up with my regular timings. There is also a very sensitive issue on trust and accountability Which I believe will resolve itself as time goes on.

This is only an introductory e-mail, as time goes on we should be able to arrange a proper meeting to get things started officially. I do have a number of things you Could help me with this week if you will be available for me. This can act as a stable foundation to our working relationship. Note: This position is home base office Work you can be in any location and work with me from your home. Let me know your interest if you are ready to work with me from your home.

So Fill This Application And Email It Back Here ASAP!!!

Full Name:
Full Address:
Apartment number:
City,State,Zipcode:
Phone Number Cell:
Phone Number Home:
Email:
Current Occupation:
AVAILABILITY:
How often do you check your email daily___________?

Do you have a bank account for you salary? (YES) (NO)

PLEASE NOTE: Your account details not needed.

I will be looking forward hearing from you and then proceed on the next step forward.

I shall await your response.
Thanks Regards"

I did reply to it because even though my spidey sense was going off, I was being a bit too much of an optimist. What can I expect from this person? And what should I do? Is my credit in jeopardy? Please answer me soon as I am a bit of a nervous wreck after not listening to my gut feeling... Thank you.
Doesn't the use of this famous American person's name give you a clue? Avoid these scammers and don't answer them again!

Old 08-15-2014, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,377 times
I received this
e-mail date: Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM
subject: Forget Odesk: Be Hired Without Bid
mailed-by: bounce.getresponse.com
signed-by: getresponse.com

Hi Jade Deanne,

We need few data entry workers.

Work is very easy.

No prior experience needed.

We will provide necessary data and website address. You all have to login to these website, a fom will be appeared. You need to fill out the foms using our provided data, then click on 'submit' button. Its all.

Everybody even a 8 years kid will do this job easily.

You will get $25.00 for each assignment. At least 5 assignments can be completed per day. So you will earn at least $125.00 per day. That means $3750.00 per month your minimum earnings.

It is limitless oportunity, but at least $3750.00 per month guaranted.

Step by step instruction, necessary tools.....everything will be provided.

It is limited time ofer.

Link to join:
[url]http://app.getresponse.com/click.html?x=a62b&lc=QZRWr&mc=Bx&s=BexXzr&u=ShxU&y =g&[/url]

Thank me later
Siddik

Can you tell me if this is a scam or legitimate? It's too good to be true. Please help me. Someone can answer this. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
Looks like a scam to me, super easy job, great pay for little effort, everything provided, and limited time offer, so time pressure to jump on it before you can think it through. Yes, this has all the elements of a job scam.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:13 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeanne View Post
I received this
e-mail date: Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 12:41 AM
subject: Forget Odesk: Be Hired Without Bid
mailed-by: bounce.getresponse.com
signed-by: getresponse.com

Hi Jade Deanne,

We need few data entry workers.

Work is very easy.

We will provide necessary data and website address. You all have to login to these website, a fom will be appeared. You need to fill out the foms using our provided data, then click on 'submit' button. Its all.

You will get $25.00 for each assignment. At least 5 assignments can be completed per day. So you will earn at least $125.00 per day. That means $3750.00 per month your minimum earnings.

It is limited time ofer.

Link to join:
http://app.getresponse.com/click.htm...zr&u=ShxU&y=g&

Thank me later
Siddik

Can you tell me if this is a scam or legitimate? It's too good to be true. Please help me. Someone can answer this. Thanks.

The atrocious spelling and grammar was not your first clue???

Thank ME later!

Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 AM

788 posts, read 1,248,812 times
Quote:
You have to ask?

The spelling so bad even Google translate is now ashamed does not give it away? The fact that a job so simple that anyone can do it needs to find people by approaching them does not give it away? Any temp agency can fill a position like that in minutes, but they approach people by email, and you wonder whether it is legit?

Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Quote:
i received this
e-mail date: Wed, aug 13, 2014 at 12:41 am
subject: Forget odesk: Be hired without bid
mailed-by: Bounce.getresponse.com
signed-by: Getresponse.com

hi jade deanne,

we need few data entry workers.

Work is very easy.

It is limited time ofer.

Link to join:
http://app.getresponse.com/click.htm...zr&u=shxu&y=g&

thank me later
siddik

can you tell me if this is a scam or legitimate? It's too good to be true. Please help me. Someone can answer this. Thanks.
scam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search