Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

That salary of $80,000 is not much for a Director, especially in an area like Pleasanton, CA.
Our equivalent in Seattle is making over $100k and does no labor, that is all done by union maintenance staff. A director is a fairly high level manager, responsible for contracts, budget, planning, hiring and evaluating employees. The company would have been smarter to have kept a lower level laborer position to do this work, since many of his duties no longer exist with no staff. At this point it would make sense for him to contract out the work and have the company pay, justifying his salary by having him manage the contracts, but it sounds like that's not an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
$80k is not particularly great pay in Pleasanton.
One thing he should do is make absolutely sure to deduct the $600 from his taxes as an unreimbursed business expense (since it is).

Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
80k might not be a lot in California, but I doubt he is hurting. He is 59 correct? I doubt he is spending like a mad man. Does he have a wife?

$600 isn't a lot either way. You also have to understand that his department is just him now. You could hire 2 schmucks for 30k a year and still be saving 20k. If he complains I doubt he will have his job for much longer. His job is a labor job...cleaning a building is labor. It doesn't matter if he is 59 or 29. Age doesn't matter to the company. He can pay the $600 and keep his job or get fired. The simpler way is just pay the money and be done with it. $600 for a 35k building is super cheap anyways.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
No way in hell would I ever pay for this out of my own pocket; this is a business expense which the owner is 100% for.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
No way in hell would I ever pay for this out of my own pocket; this is a business expense which the owner is 100% for.
But if in his job description it says "clean the 35k sqf building every 2 years" and he can't do it that is grounds for being fired technically. He outsourced the job to someone else. It might not sound fair, but if it is in the job description he better get his almost 60 year old butt on a ladder and get a cleaning or since he makes a decent amount of money pay someone else. The manager above him doesn't want to clean the building so it is outsourced to the department maintenace man. Which he then outsourced since he can afford it. That simple.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
But if in his job description it says "clean the 35k sqf building every 2 years" and he can't do it that is grounds for being fired technically. He outsourced the job to someone else. It might not sound fair, but if it is in the job description he better get his almost 60 year old butt on a ladder and get a cleaning or since he makes a decent amount of money pay someone else. The manager above him doesn't want to clean the building so it is outsourced to the department maintenace man. Which he then outsourced since he can afford it. That simple.
Hardly think a Department Manager with two degrees, Business Administration and Environmental Science... qualifies as "Maintenance Guy"

As to the job description... you are 100% correct and no where does it say anything about scrubbing anything...

Instead it says things like Manage, Direct, Hire, Contract, Supervise, Compliance, Licensing, Administrate, Budget, Plan...

So that is the crux of the problem... it is a Director Position that the new kid boss doesn't respect...

Who knows... maybe the new boss is just testing the waters to see how far someone will go before quitting?

Saw him this morning... and the area cleaned was 525 lineal feet covering 3 sides of the building...

I've had similar things at my job where my personal vehicle was looked upon as the de facto company truck... after it went from an occasional thing... I quickly put a stop to it and started taking the bus to work...

Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I've had similar things at my job where my personal vehicle was looked upon as the de facto company truck... after it went from an occasional thing... I quickly put a stop to it and started taking the bus to work...
My son is a manager for a small seasonal business and uses his truck to pickup supplies. There is not really an alternative.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
My son is a manager for a small seasonal business and uses his truck to pickup supplies. There is not really an alternative.
I work for a hospital... not really seasonal by any definition.

Just for liability... I'm surprised corporate would expect employee's to regularly use their private vehicle without a written policy...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
An employee that uses their own vehicle for company tasks should be paid mileage, at a minimum, should really also be subsidized for the auto insurance too.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
An employee that uses their own vehicle for company tasks should be paid mileage, at a minimum, should really also be subsidized for the auto insurance too.
It's one of those things we are supposed to suck it up and deduct as unreimbursed work expenses on taxes.

At $135 to fill the tank of my 1/2 ton Chevrolet plus my insurance also dings me for extra mileage... not much, last year it was $35 extra because I drove 6100 miles instead of 5,000

I try not to drive the truck unless needed because mpg is about 14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment