Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,532,453 times

Advertisements

So what would you change about your job search if, like me, you are still unemployed over 6 months.

I am at 8 months, my UI is coming to an end shortly, what would I have done differently?

I received a somewhat sketchy offer in October and looking back I should have taken it and used it to leverage something better. I was interviewing at the same time for my dream job and it looked like I was going to get an offer from them as well.

I should have taken the sketchy offer because I am experiencing the common disqualifier which is we only want people employed.

At the time I didn't want to take the sketchy offer because I thought it would unethical to accept a job, get an offer and accept from my dream job, and bail on company 1, plus it was a bit vague on details. Not anymore. This board has reminded me how brutal and ruthless the job search is. I will take the next decent offer, keep my mouth shut about still looking, and bail when I get a better offer. Job jumper here I come.

Why should we as employees be held to a higher standard than employers. Employers will fire you at a whim so why not do the same. Karma.

The job search is so brutal that I won't even tell my friends where I am applying because they are former co-workers and direct competition. I have literally been beat out by former co-workers for the exact same position I applied for. Sounds paranoid, but my friends hate the current employer and are looking to, plus they have the advantage of being currently employed.

When I was employed I would get recruiters left and right. Now that I have time no. I have gone through the entire interview process, 3 interviews, twice and received no offer. One the job was cancelled by co. and the other I was outclassed, more exp from other candidates.

So what would you do differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM

400 posts, read 1,512,009 times
you haven't described your job search tactics or strategy just the situation of declining an offer and not being offered anymore. without knowing what you're doing how can one give advice on how to change. regardless, everyone will tell you the easiest way to a job is through networking and being recommended by someone who currently works at your target company. if that isn't possible you have to show that being out of work hasn't affected your skills at all. show that you are just as confident as those who are employed, your skill set is just as strong, and that its the company loss that you are no longer with them. also shot for jobs that your are more than qualified for i.e. - you have two years experience as an analyst shot for a job that part of a trainee/ development program that requires no experience... or shoot for temp jobs or jobs that may be in the target industry or with target company to get a foot in the door i.e. - if you want to work in advertising perhaps you can get a job as a file clerk or assistant within your target company until they get to know you and will hire you as an account exec or higher level role. also you can volunteer . good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM

Thanks car, I wasn't really looking for advice, just reflecting and asking others to do the same. I am by no means an expert but I already do all the things suggested network, approach hiring managers I know of in my industry, refer in by friend, apply online. I do all of that. I don't think there is anything wrong with my search I made a critical mistake not taking that mediocre offer. I could have used that employer to spring board to something better, now I am the guy that has been out of work for 8 months.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,614,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post

Why should we as employees be held to a higher standard than employers. Employers will fire you at a whim so why not do the same. Karma.
That's right.

I last worked job A on 12/20. I started job B on 12/21 and took vacation through the end of the year from job A. I also collected my Christmas bonus.

On 1/1 my yearly vacation reset to 2 weeks and my yearly clothing allowance also reset from job A. So I took it... All the while continuing to work job B.

On January 14th I emailed my resignation to job A... After I had collected my 3 weeks vacation and $350 clothing allowance. I wonder if they were mad?

I could care less. I have my reference if needed... They didn't hesitate to fire a co-worker on 12/18... 3 days before we got our Christmas bonus. I made sure I got paid before I left for a better opportunity. I wasn't about to forfeit all that vacation time.

My point? Don't pretend to care about your employer's interests because they don't care about yours.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,482,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Thanks car, I wasn't really looking for advice, just reflecting and asking others to do the same. I am by no means an expert but I already do all the things suggested network, approach hiring managers I know of in my industry, refer in by friend, apply online. I do all of that. I don't think there is anything wrong with my search I made a critical mistake not taking that mediocre offer. I could have used that employer to spring board to something better, now I am the guy that has been out of work for 8 months.
Can you consult or do something similar in your type of work?

Wishing you and everyone here who is truly trying to find a job the best of luck. It is a totally different world out there for those who haven't applied for a new position in the last 3-4 years. It's important to stay positive and it's hard to stay positive.

MSR

Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Can you consult or do something similar in your type of work?

Wishing you and everyone here who is truly trying to find a job the best of luck. It is a totally different world out there for those who haven't applied for a new position in the last 3-4 years. It's important to stay positive and it's hard to stay positive.

MSR
Thanks that's what I was thinking of of. Doing the same thing as an independent consultant. Even if I don't make much money, I would be able to bring sales lead to a paid employer looking for the same types of clients.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,151,422 times
I would work on my resume and interview skills, especially with mentors with management experience at Fortune 500 companies. They can offer great advice on a resume and interviewing from employer's point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment