Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 AM

8 posts, read 9,597 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I graduated six years ago with a joint BA in criminology and anthropology. I originally was intent on getting a P.H.D. and living a life of academia, but after some soul searching I decided against. Nearing graduation (1 semester before) and six months after I looked for work. I ended up landing something unrelated. I hated it. I was a legal secretary. I kept looking diligently while employed, but I couldn't find anything more hands on in my field. I lived that for about 2.5 years before I couldn't stand it. I quit figuring if I'm going to be really unhappy with my job I might as well make a lot more money doing it.

Now for the past 3 yeas I have been stripping. I don't plan on quitting this right now (it's good money and good for saving), but over the long term I need some kind of career. I am not all that confident about breaking into my degree despite how broad it is. Not at all, really. I tried and failed that for years. Now though, I am not that confident about getting back as a legal secretary. I mean, I put Dancer on my resume instead of stripper, but I don't think it's making much difference.

What should I do? I'm 27 right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Can't you just put on your resume that you are a waitress at that club?

Also, if you want a higher degree, get a Masters in something useful like accounting, MIS, engineering, or maybe go to law school. Criminology and anthropology are pretty useless degrees.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
I agree with not using "dancer" as a job title. Use waitress, bartender, or something like that. Make your resume focused on the skills you did at the previous law position and your education. Start volunteering on a regular basis, so there is some recent experience that is not "waitressing".

Walk in to places to give resumes if possible. Good looking women always get jobs.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
you need a cover, something that could translate into marketable skills... You could get a business license or have sort of freelance bullsh*ter to fill the gaps

Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Attaching a professional looking photo of yourself on your cover sheet for resumes can go miles, especially if you are attractive.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 AM

110 posts, read 330,738 times
ever try breaking into sales? being a stripper, I assume you're attractive and can easily talk BS with clients. Two qualities that are excellent to have in sales.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Congratulations on your education, impressive. On your resume put entertainment coordinator or something similar. With your degree a career as a criminologist, crime scene technician, or even becoming employed at a University would be something for your future. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Marry Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo_Melissa View Post
Hi everyone, I graduated six years ago with a joint BA in criminology and anthropology. I originally was intent on getting a P.H.D. and living a life of academia, but after some soul searching I decided against. Nearing graduation (1 semester before) and six months after I looked for work. I ended up landing something unrelated. I hated it. I was a legal secretary. I kept looking diligently while employed, but I couldn't find anything more hands on in my field. I lived that for about 2.5 years before I couldn't stand it. I quit figuring if I'm going to be really unhappy with my job I might as well make a lot more money doing it.

Now for the past 3 yeas I have been stripping. I don't plan on quitting this right now (it's good money and good for saving), but over the long term I need some kind of career. I am not all that confident about breaking into my degree despite how broad it is. Not at all, really. I tried and failed that for years. Now though, I am not that confident about getting back as a legal secretary. I mean, I put Dancer on my resume instead of stripper, but I don't think it's making much difference.

Non-sexist reply

Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo_Melissa View Post

If I were the person considering hiring you, I might be very impressed with you as a person and what you could bring to the company, but I already see red flags.

I would have to consider the effect your presence would have on assuming and catty employees in a hyper PC corporate work environment were your past career choice to become known.

I can just see some yahoo planning a bachelor party and...well, you get the picture.

The whole thing screams future litigation.

As for you saying you were a cocktail waitress at a strip joint, forget that too.

Unless you look like Chewbacca in a thong, no one will believe you didn't take the stage.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Looking over the other posts, I think the idea of changing your past job title to something like waitress or something along those lines is a very good idea. I believe you will be fine finding new work as long as no one knows about your past work. You still have time on your side to figure out what type of work you wish to do. Good luck with your decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment