Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM

548 posts, read 891,285 times

Advertisements

I applied to work at Pavilions grocery store this past Thursday night. I was thinking of going in person next Wednesday and asking the manager if they got my application and when would the interview take place. Do you think this is a good idea? What should I wear? Should I bring my resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,810 times
Well just because you put in your application doesn't mean you get an interview? Wish it was that easy.

Going in person or even calling in a week is a good idea though. They might throw a lame excuse at you if they don't want to hire you, but it is better than sitting at home and waiting for people to just give you a job.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,077 times
Grocery store? Now theres a future for you .

Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM

355 posts, read 913,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Wow, that's not nice. There are no jobs that should be beneath anyone.

Go in person, where a nice polo with Chino pants. Make eye contact, firm handshake (but not crippling). Bring your resume if there is relevant work history.
Good luck!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
its a job.

id say it couldnt hurt to show up. it may be a total waste of time, but it would only increase the chances of meeting with the manager and possibly getting hired; not decrease them. definitely make sure to dress nice. probably for this level job, business casual would be fine to show up in. make sure to look well put together and look like you would be easy for a manager to work with. there are a lot of clowns out there and appearances do matter.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM

The only work history I have is writing is this;

Revolver Magazine (Online/Print Magazine)
July 2012 - Present –Volunteer Writer
• Interviewed contributors via email, telephone, and face to face.
• Met every daily deadline successfully, with 100% completion of all assigned reports by specified deadline.

Metal Maniacs Magazine (Online Magazine)
November 2009 - Present - Contributing Writer/Photographer
• Wrote articles of CDs, DVDs, Interviews, and Show reviews.
• Shot photographs of the band’s performances at their showcases.
• Met every daily deadline successfully, with 100% completion of all assigned reports by specified deadline.

All Access Magazine (Online Magazine)
December 2008 - Present - Contributing Writer/Photographer
• Wrote articles of CDs, DVDs, Interviews, and Show reviews.
• Shot photographs of the band’s performances at their showcases.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
what position are you looking for? for most jobs, i would see that work history as relatively useless. but if its what you got, then its what you got. its better than doing nothing. an entry level position in a supermarket probably doesnt require much of a work history.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,810 times
Don't listen to crestliner he is a fool. Any job is better than no job and being a leech on the tax payers.

I wouldn't bring a resume since it has no relevancy here. Just dress to impress and give it a whirl. Like someone else said it won't hurt the chance of getting the job. Might not give you more of a chance, but certaintly can't decrease.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,472 times
you should definitely go in and introduce yourself. it shows ambition and strength. you should be dress business casual. if the manager isn't there then you should ask for his name, phone number and typical schedule. then you can call and speak to him. good luck.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what position are you looking for? for most jobs, i would see that work history as relatively useless. but if its what you got, then its what you got. its better than doing nothing. an entry level position in a supermarket probably doesnt require much of a work history.
This is all of the work experience I have right now. I have been applying to retail jobs, McDonalds, Jack in the Box jobs, and newspaper and magazine related jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search