Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times

Advertisements

youre making it into a bigger problem than it has to be. you should mind your business and learn to tune out outside noise. you can get earplugs, close your door or tune into the radio. there are always people in every company that exhibit this type of behavior (not working, socializing excessively, talking loudly...) while it is a pet peeve for many, the only behavior that you can truly change is your own. often times when one complains about such pettiness the only one who becomes alienated is the complainer. your new so you have to adapt to their style not vice versa...

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I am new to this job but there has to have been an issue with this before since there is a sign in the hallway saying "Please speak quietly".

I do not want to alienate anyone but it is difficult to do my job with the distraction.

Pick your battles.
You are new, she isn't. Obviously this behavior has gone on so long it is routine. It has to be common knowledge. It is a big deal to you, but probably status-quo to other people in the office. As ridiculous as it might seem, the person who is in the "right" could be labeled a "trouble maker" in some situations. Sad, but a very real concern.
I might wait a while to bring it to higher-ups attention.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
I guess I will close the door and see if anyone gets the message. It just seems like a pain to get up and close it three or four times a day.....
Close it once. Don't reopen it if you know she keeps coming back and if open/close many times per day becomes a problem. Leave it cracked a half inch of you are afraid that closing it makes you seem isolated.

Heck, I would close it from the time I got in until I left every day. Why not.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
I would close the door. As others have said YOU are the newbi. Complaining could do more harm than good.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
I guess I will close the door and see if anyone gets the message. It just seems like a pain to get up and close it three or four times a day. Like some of you have said maybe she will get the message after I do it a few times.

Other people chat about stuff but they have the sense to talk at a low volume and sit inside the offices. Maybe because she works in the warehouse she is used to talking a little louder than normal but there hasn't been ONE time since I started working there six months ago that I wasn't aware that she was in the area.
I would close the door. It may be a pain, but it is for two reason: One, to keep her converstations w/ the peer across the hall at a minimum noise level...and Two...To keep her from turning to your office doorway eventually, and pestering you.

I can relate. One of my best friends worked in my same office years ago. He wanted to share my office once, rather than share w/ another person. I adore this friend, but he is a chatty Cathy....I knew I'd never get my work done. It is so annoying to have people talking within your hearing while you are working and trying to stay focused. It's too bad that time management isn't addressed more frequently in an office setting. Good luck on this and please update I'd really like to know if closing the door helps.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Honestly though, how much of a pain is it to close your door three or four times a day? That probably takes a total of less than a minute combined.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
This is far too minor of an issue to complain about. You will end up looking silly and/or immature if you do.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
I work in cost accounting/cost estimating and I had a deadline for work this Friday. As hard as I tried to ignore this woman talking about her dog and her plans for the weekend she was less than three feet away from me at the time and talking very loudly. When she stops to chat with someone up the hallway 30 feet away I can hear hear as if she is talking at normal conversational levels.

Management KNOWS this is an issue in this office otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money to place a sign in the hallway saying please keep your voice down. Maybe I should just go out in the hallway and ask her to respect the sign?

I am not worried about my job at all. They could replace me of course but it isn't likely and if they did I could find work somewhere else. Frankly it pissed me off that this idiot had nothing better to do than *** while I was trying to get some work done. It is unprofessional.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:41 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Noise reduction headphones?
Can you see her from your desk, so you can use them only when she's there?. Better yet if she can see you put them on, maybe she'll get the message.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
Good that you have a door to close, I am jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment