Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:25 PM

61 posts, read 115,838 times

Advertisements

I have a Job, but I want a career. After skimming through hundreds of jobs, entry level jobs at that I'm realizing that my associates degree basically does nothing for me. Almost every job requires a Bachelors degree. Thats where the problem is. I would have no issues going to school except for the fact that I can't really afford it. Newborn + wife with a masters that can't find work+ the $50,000 for the masters=stuck in my job.

Maybe I need to find a job that will put me through school? Or government grants?

Something that bothers me about the required bachelors. I'm not going to say that I deserve a chance at a higher level job, thats for an employer to figure out. But...I know many of people without a bachelors that would be a huge asset to a company in a more important roll, but because they dont have that piece of paper they aren't even thought of.

Anyone else with any thoughts, or with the same issue? Anyone with any tips for someone with motivation and ambition but no money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
What is your degree in? Where in Upstate do you live?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM

Liberal Arts and I live in the Binghamton area.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
It's not worth helping people who are tight lipped and won't say what their exact degree or job is.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,234 times
there are grants and loans for school. also some companies will pay for you education. i've seen many lower level employees work their way up while the company paid for their education. also you can start at a cheaper school or community college then transfer to a 4 year school for the last two years. the less it costs you the better. good luck.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:58 PM

I dont understand who you are saying is tight lipped?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
Liberal Arts and I live in the Binghamton area.
What type of work do you do now? If you can get in with SUNY you can pursue your degree either for free of a very low cost--I can't remember which. That's how my brother got his MBA.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
I dont understand who you are saying is tight lipped?
Ignore Jesse. The only thing he ever contributes is his tale of woe about beating up a senior citizen and how he's been unemployed for four years but lives comfortably on SSDI and likes to dress in women's lingerie. Unfortunately I'm not kidding.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
there are grants and loans for school. also some companies will pay for you education. i've seen many lower level employees work their way up while the company paid for their education. also you can start at a cheaper school or community college then transfer to a 4 year school for the last two years. the less it costs you the better. good luck.
Thanks for the info. I really want to try to do the schooling without adding any debt. And unfortunately I missed the window for the education assistance, the company I worked for is now owned by another company that doesn't offer education assistance. Do you by any chance know where to apply for grants, or maybe point me in some kind of direction?

Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What type of work do you do now? If you can get in with SUNY you can pursue your degree either for free of a very low cost--I can't remember which. That's how my brother got his MBA.
Right now I'm a printer, but would like to get into some kind of entry level business position, maybe engineering or some kind of environmental science. I'll have to check into SUNY. thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment