Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times

Advertisements

H1b's are suposed to be paid at prevailing wage which is easy to get arround. All they have to do is point to an American even if he is being paid the lowest 1% of his profession and say see we are paying an equivalent wage.

Also employers can work them 80 hours a week and flog them with a whip and they can either put up or get sent home to work in the rice patties.

They also are supposed to prove no American is qualified so they just write the job ad so rediculous specific and the qualifications so inflated noone is qualified or they just rip all the candidates apart in the interview. Oh so you haven't worked with ACME PCR machine1235 version 2 revision 1 on a Tuesday before.

Oursourcing and H1b has pretty much killed science in the USA. Any job they can't cut or send to China India they import H1B and use the high number of unemployed scientists here to offer obsecenely low wages ($15-20hr) and keep them on contract so they don't have to give benefits. Most of the people that gradauted with me either deceided to teach (more lucritive), left the field, or went into healthcare professional school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times
This was the goal all along, of course. But since companies only exist to make money, we should all be just fine with this as our nation's living standards slide into an abyss of debt and squandered opportunities.

It's a sick joke, but remember - every time you see impossibly narrow job postings or "jobs" that are never filled, one of the reasons for these "jobs" may be to just exploit visa labor at terrible wages. Same idea when the talking heads call out for "more scientists and engineers!" - what they really mean is "we need more cheap labor to abuse!" They'll be fine with visa workers, though their real dream is to grind down American living standards to the point where we'll all be happy working for a bowl of rice a day. But so long as profits are made, who cares - or so I'm often told!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM

29,834 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
This was the goal all along, of course. But since companies only exist to make money, we should all be just fine with this as our nation's living standards slide into an abyss of debt and squandered opportunities.

It's a sick joke, but remember - every time you see impossibly narrow job postings or "jobs" that are never filled, one of the reasons for these "jobs" may be to just exploit visa labor at terrible wages. Same idea when the talking heads call out for "more scientists and engineers!" - what they really mean is "we need more cheap labor to abuse!" They'll be fine with visa workers, though their real dream is to grind down American living standards to the point where we'll all be happy working for a bowl of rice a day. But so long as profits are made, who cares - or so I'm often told!
Oh, but haven't you heard, we all benefit when said company boosts their quarterly dividend payout 1.5%

It's a white shoe boy club and we ain't invited...

Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Oh, but haven't you heard, we all benefit when said company boosts their quarterly dividend payout 1.5%

It's a white shoe boy club and we ain't invited...
Haha - that is so true!

The funny part is that years ago, buying stock actually was an investment of sorts in the company, which in turn would led to more jobs, products, etc. That's probably way before my time, of course. Like you said, we're not invited!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,238,212 times
I've seen some pretty gross abuse of the prevailing wage title in the existing H1B immigration law. The US DOJ has not given a hoot, not under Obama/ Holder, nor under GWB before.

I've seen recruiters admit, without apparent shame and in writing, that US citizen workers are too expensive for a position, so they are recruiting overseas for positions in the US and will get them H1B visas somehow once the end client accepts the candidate.

I've witnessed Indians relocate, or more aptly, be forced to relocate with family, because the H1B visa company (which owns -- almost an indenture -- their ability to work in the US) assigns them a temp job across the country. This in turn has led to a crazy common denominator on Dice or Monster -- employers advertise for temporary positions without listing work location. Actual work location is in Des Moines, or in Omaha, or in Little Rock. After interviewing citizen candidates, the employer indicates that relocation is mandatory. For a SIX-MONTH CONTRACT!

I've seen dozens of citizens fired (mostly in their 40s and 50s) and the entire department re-staffed the following day by 100% H1B foreigners at half the wages. Same exact jobs, half the pay.

I've got dozens of stories about H1B. It's astonishing how it's decimated the US tech worker industry, and entirely in the last 10 years. Yet it is pushed, and pushed hard every year by the large businesses in the tech sector.

Meanwhile, we have thousands of citizen kids graduating every year with tech degrees and no jobs. Why? Student loans that would make the minimum-wage entry level pay (that's your "prevailing H1B wage") financially unfeasible.

H1B is to tech jobs as Mexican immigration is to entry-level California jobseekers.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
We need to get the STEM graduates employed before we allow more in. Our President wants more of them but the demand is not sufficient. Retirements alone will not create enough openings.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:19 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cheap labor -- that makes for very nice profits for the CEO's. It's no secret that the elites want unlimited immigration no matter how high unemployment rates of Americans are. Immigration was higher than ever when unemployment rates were very high. Why pay an American $60,000 a year when it's very easy to find foreigners very pleased with making $30,000 for the same job.
This is exactly why we must vote democrat!

US senator promises more L1, H1B visas for Indians - NDTVProfit.com

Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I hope this was meant as sarcasm. In reality this issue knows no party lines. Both sides have traitors among them, as well as true patriots. Chucky and Harry fall squarely on the traitor side.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
When most people talk about accounting, I think they mean Big4 auditing. That's what I think of. Bookkeeping is not the same as accounting.
There is certainly more to accounting than audit and bookkeeping. I think you are wrong when you assume what most people think of.

Companies have long been outsourcing their accounting functions to India. AP/AR/General Accounting. I see it every day.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,674,237 times
Silicon Valley braces for high stakes H1B visa lottery | abc7news.com

Too mad to comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment