Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 AM

2 posts, read 14,386 times

Advertisements

Sorry I'm new to this forum site but I was hoping to find some insight on how to find internships and make myself qualified for them. I'm an undergraduate student working towards a bachelors degree in accounting. I have no prior experience at all working anything related to accounting. What are my best options? I really need some advice.. perhaps from people who are in the accounting field. How did you start out? Where should I look? How do I make myself qualified? I'm only in intermediate accounting but I would like intern something related to my future career. I have worked for multiple short-term (3-5 months) jobs such as retail. I always worked summer jobs but quit right before school starts so I can focus on school. I don't really have any references either.. I don't know how and where to start. Any advice would help.. thanks. And to be honest I'm still debating on whether to change my major to a different area of business as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,098 times
You didn't state what year you were. Since you already seem to be in the program, I'd assume you are a Junior or a Senior?

Does your school have a career resource center that posts information online for internship openings? Have you looked at the big accounting firms in your area? I'd ask some of your professors, since they have (hopefully) worked in the field, could be a wealth of knowledge in your area.

Be prepared to take unpaid work. It sucks, but don't completely rule that out. All of my internships in college (finance related, but still) were unpaid and helped get my foot in the door for my current job.

If you must, consider going into non profit as well if it becomes hard to find anything else.

Come back with more specifics and hopefully we can help. Good luck to you.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:57 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
You need to go through your college placement center for this questions. They should have accounting companies that come on campus to recruit students for internships.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
You have to work the career center and accounting society.

The career center will have internships with generic every day companies. They are more likely to hire a novice.

The accounting society will have actually accounting firms. They tend to be very picky about GPA, personality etc. Even for internships.

Also make sure to work the other students in your class and teachers. Some of them will already have accounting jobs. You have to find those people and talk to them. Get to be their friends and tell them about how you are looking for an accounting gig. They will hook you up with a job if they like you.

You have to work all three avenues and make sure your resume and presentation is spotless. Despite what other say, accounting is a tough industry to get into to. If you don't play your cards right, you will end up not getting into accounting and probably end up with dead in job not in the industry.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 14,386 times
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm currently a junior. I will most definitely look into what my university has and talk to the advisors and professors. The main thing I am worried about is that I lack the experience needed for any internship, perhaps even an interview. I understand that you have to start somewhere but I feel that most students like myself would already have an intern or job related to the field by this time. How can I set myself apart from other students? And I honestly would not mind unpaid internships. I could use the extra money but I feel experience is what I mainly need at this point.

Also I have looked at multiple internships before. Even my Accounting professor sent out an email that one of her previous students were looking for a bookkeeper but as soon as I read the requirements asking for previous years of experience in related fields, references, advanced knowledge in specific areas and all these things, I just simply don't feel that I'm qualified. Maybe I should wait until my senior year after I have taken more courses?

Once again, thanks for all the information. I will definitely look into the career center at my university.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinh223 View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm currently a junior. I will most definitely look into what my university has and talk to the advisors and professors. The main thing I am worried about is that I lack the experience needed for any internship, perhaps even an interview. I understand that you have to start somewhere but I feel that most students like myself would already have an intern or job related to the field by this time. How can I set myself apart from other students? And I honestly would not mind unpaid internships. I could use the extra money but I feel experience is what I mainly need at this point.

Also I have looked at multiple internships before. Even my Accounting professor sent out an email that one of her previous students were looking for a bookkeeper but as soon as I read the requirements asking for previous years of experience in related fields, references, advanced knowledge in specific areas and all these things, I just simply don't feel that I'm qualified. Maybe I should wait until my senior year after I have taken more courses?

Once again, thanks for all the information. I will definitely look into the career center at my university.
I really think Junior year is a great time for you to get an internship. I started getting them ASAP (I have been working since 15 but got formal "internships" Junior and Senior year). Like I said, if you find it hard to get an internship at Jr level, see if you can volunteer or even job shadow an accountant. This could be just a few hours a week. Any experience/exposure you can get will HELP you.

I'm currently doing a stint in HR and I can tell you that it's a tough world out there for recent grads. Even if someone interned for free or shadowed, it looks like you actually did something with yourself.

The only reason I mention non profits so much is usually because they'll be more open to letting a student volunteer or shadow. You could even check out craigslist, I often see a lot on there.

Yes, everyone needs to start somewhere. People hiring interns know that you basically know jack, but they'll hopefully use you, even if it's to do some "grunt" work. That opens the door for you to see a companies accounting processes, even if you are informally teaching yourself. Take opportunities that are available and make things happen for yourself, people are impressed by driven younger people.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
...Yes, everyone needs to start somewhere. People hiring interns know that you basically know jack, but they'll hopefully use you, even if it's to do some "grunt" work. That opens the door for you to see a companies accounting processes, even if you are informally teaching yourself. Take opportunities that are available and make things happen for yourself, people are impressed by driven younger people.
^^^This is what I was going to suggest.

Rather than only focusing on an accounting internship, try to find any PT job at an accounting firm (or in an accounting department) and suck up all the knowledge you can. If there are any openings there or if anyone sees your eagerness/willingness to learn, they might consider you for an actual accounting position or to fill-in for someone who's out for some reason. Then you'll be able to prove yourself worthy for a FT permanent position in the future.

My sister is an office manager at a CPA firm in New Mexico. Their errand runner/messenger quit and they can't seem to find anyone who'll take the PT job.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Depends what you goal is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
^^^This is what I was going to suggest.

Rather than only focusing on an accounting internship, try to find any PT job at an accounting firm (or in an accounting department) and suck up all the knowledge you can. If there are any openings there or if anyone sees your eagerness/willingness to learn, they might consider you for an actual accounting position or to fill-in for someone who's out for some reason. Then you'll be able to prove yourself worthy for a FT permanent position in the future.

My sister is an office manager at a CPA firm in New Mexico. Their errand runner/messenger quit and they can't seem to find anyone who'll take the PT job.
If you aspire to work for "name" firm, grow beyond straight 'accounting' into 'business consulting', work in a 'strategic role' of client firm when you're still young enough for it to matter or otherwise not likely to be satisfied "grinding it out" I would strongly recommend sticking to the "narrow path" prescribed by the guidence office AND busting your tail impressing the higher ups that you are "smarter than your average bear"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment