Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM

105 posts, read 144,231 times

Advertisements

The dynamic on this board is very interesting when it comes to the subject of unemployment- in the simplest of terms, some see it as the end of the world, while some realize life goes on and will do anything they can to capitalize on a bad (or good) situation.

Think about the question on a few different levels- what would you do if you were terminated or lost your job through attrition tomorrow? What would you do if you chose to quit to move to another state where you thought your prospects may be brighter, or if you chose to quit because you find your workplace to be just too toxic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 PM

340 posts, read 914,173 times
I'll chime in and say that I'll be leaving my current position within the month. Of course there are many reasons, but the main reason is to finish school faster. I'll be done with school in December '13 as opposed to December '14. With the coming public health/medical/insurance boom, my public health degree will be in high demand.

Honestly, not having an income for me isn't the end of the world because I am still living with my parents, the thing that scares me ****less is not having a job when my student loan payments start to be due.

Oh well, no sense in worrying about things you have no control over at the current time.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,486 times
I was laid off in FL 2 years ago and left that state due to a lack of job prospects after getting an offer here.

If I were to lose this job tomorrow I'd start looking for a new one... and would draw WA unemployment which has a max weekly benefit over twice the FL benefit.

I have 8 months expenses or so saved up and my $552 weekly benefit per WA DOL calculator would hold me over a while... My line of work (CNC machining) has a lot of work in this area due to Boeing.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Do what I always do... Search for another job. In the past 10 years, I have worked in a wide variety of occupations and acquired several marketable skills. As I've always done, I would just job search in the areas I have experience. Even if it paid $10/hr, it's still a job, and would hold me over until something else came along.

Heck, I've been feeling rather tired and sluggish for awhile. I know I need a vacation. If I could have a month to myself, I would travel the country, visit family, enjoy my life while I'm still relatively young. Along the way, I could drop off resumes in places I enjoy. I would love to move down south, and know some places that pay well in my line of work, which is the major drawback of the south.

And really, I've lived in this state for 2 1/2 years now. I'm feeling like this wouldn't be a bad time to think about moving somewhere else. Last time I was job hunting, I sent resumes to employers around the country. I was surprised how many were interested in seeing me in all corners of the country. I settled for something local, but I'm sure many opportunities exist elsewhere.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin84 View Post
The dynamic on this board is very interesting when it comes to the subject of unemployment- in the simplest of terms, some see it as the end of the world, while some realize life goes on and will do anything they can to capitalize on a bad (or good) situation.

Think about the question on a few different levels- what would you do if you were terminated or lost your job through attrition tomorrow? What would you do if you chose to quit to move to another state where you thought your prospects may be brighter, or if you chose to quit because you find your workplace to be just too toxic?
Well, I just got this full time job after only having part time jobs for a year and a half....so I haven't quite recovered financially just yet.

Therefore, if that did happen, tomorrow, I would freak the hell out. I would seriously freak the hell right out because there is no safety net anymore...that was used up in that year and a half. I have to rebuild.

Ask me in a year, I might have a different answer.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,404 times
After I left the Air Force I had a sizable savings (Plan A). I had made the decision to leave the year prior and prepared by selling anything that was unnecessary and had value (My Harley, My Quads and my boat.) We paid off all of our credit cards and signature loans, mostly through selling the things I previously mentioned. Debt is the first thing you want to get rid of.

If I lost my job tomorrow..... I would call up the other companies I would have been hired at had I not taken my current job. (Plan B)

If that didn't work, I have some military benefits to fall back on (Plan C) and if that still was not enough I would use my Military and engineering school connections. (Plan D)

I set myself up early in life for success. I owe a lot to my decision to join the US Air Force and give 100% effort in everything I did. I set myself up so well I don't really even think about the possibility being unemployed.

If I had to move to plan E I would find old colleagues and then move to where they could get me a good paying job.

plan F is a low wage job like $12-15/hr at a job shop.

Plan G is to use my good credit to get a credit card and hope too much time doesn't pass before I find a job.

Plan H is to grovel to my Doctor aunt for a loan.

Plan I is to try and drum up business for odd jobs.

Plan J is to work at a min wage or less job.

Plan K is to move to Cuernavaca Mexico, my wife would love that and we both speak spanish. but I'm a little to red white and blue for that nonsense.

Plan L is to grow weed, in my storage unit, hey it's in Washington!.

Plan M is to see if my animals will do something adorable enough to my own you tube channel.

Plan N is to prostitute myself.... to whoever.

Plan O rent a room in house out. or rent my garage out as a storage unit.

Plan P Unemployment Insurance.

Plan Q Ask the church for assistance.

Well you get the point....... there are so many options. I can not understand how anyone ends up homeless.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,480 times
I'd be pretty upset at first, but then rejoice for the opportunity to pursue my dream of moving to another country.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM

57 posts, read 86,233 times
i am choosing to become unemployed this summer until sometime next february. why? so i can enjoy vacation and downtime for the next six to eight months. i live well below my means and my expenses will be minimal. my wife will be working fulltime/overtime and she wants me to have some peace in life. my goal is to unwind, enjoy some hobbies (free), as well as visit parts of the city and engage in all of its free activities while bringing my lunch from home. it's going to be a good summer/autumn/winter! : D

so yeah, that's what i would and am going to do. life's too short. i am going to stop and look around and enjoy it for once.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
If I get laid off after 62 and can't find anything quickly I'd be happy to retire and not go through the job search meat grinder again.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM

23,553 posts, read 24,064,911 times
I would accept the situation, take a short breather and look for another job.

Always think positive and count your blessings. At least you are alive, which is a blessing, and can search for another job.

Remember that you can learn a new skill during the time you are unemployed, reach out to friends that you haven't talked to, spend some quality time with your kids, and complete projects that you did not have time to complete while you were working.

The chances are high that you will find another job, if you are flexible and willing to work.

Always: keep cool, stay positive, persevere and something positive will happen when you least expect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment