Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 14,520 times

Advertisements

So here is the story, I applied at my current Pizza Delivery job nearly two years ago with completely open availability, willing to work any hours any day in order to receive the job. We receive our schedule for the upcoming week on Sundays and are expected to be able to come in as scheduled (a perfectly acceptable expectation I might add) and our days on/off and hours for each scheduled day are almost ALWAYS different from week to week. As you can immagine, with a different schedule each week and not much notice (Sunday schedules) it can often be very had to make plans to get out and do the things you want to do each week.

I see new hires come and go who are able to get consistent schedules to work around school or other activities. I have been working here for nearly two years now with a different schedule each week and it is starting to wear on me a bit. I am hoping to eventually get a consistent schedule with the same two days off each week, but the boss generally will not accommodate a consistent schedule unless the employee has a specific obligation that the employee needs to be present for (school, sports, ect) and often "forgets" to schedule these days off for the employees who DO have obligations outside of work. Basicly, the vibe I get is that unless I have a proper excuse, ill be stuck with this random schedule forever, especially since my boss knows that I currently have few outside-of-work responsibilities.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to approach the situation, or perhaps some help thinking up a false "obligation" to clear up two consistent days off each week. I believe that after showing up on time as scheduled for nearly two years, and calling out few enough times to count on one hand I deserve a more consistent schedule the same as these other new hires who have school a couple days a week or whatever.

Any advice for me?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
What is in your life that might create this obligation? You don't say you are married; so I assume you are not. You don't say you have kids; so I assume you do not. Those are the two most common "things" that would create the obligation. So tell us a little about yourself. Would you consider volunteering to create the obligation?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 14,520 times
Unfortunately I am not married, and fortunately, I do not have kids. To be one hundred percent honest, I'm just a kid in his mid twenties looking for the same two days off each week. In a pizza delivery job I work weekends guaranteed, so these two days off will be in the middle of the week. Like a Tuesday/Wednsday sort of thing. Unfortunately, I don't play any sports, or go to school so - I'm just sorta stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding this totally random scheduling.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,275 times
It sounds like you haven't approached your boss about this before. You also seem to be a fairly honest and hard working employee. You have seniority, and have a good attendance record. I think the best best for you would be to avoid the 'false obligation' approach and to be straight up with your boss and ask him for what you want. The worst that can happen is he'll say no (don't hold me to that, you know your boss better than I do). Are you hesitant to be upfront about it? I'm curious because I'm in my very early 20s and the honesty policy has worked very well for me.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:44 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Which two days off would you like and do you think you're most likely to get? I'd just tell my boss that I need tuesdays and wednesdays off. If he says no, then I'd probably go with the a made up obligation--like school.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
If they won't give you a schedule with the same 2 days consistently off, is there any way that you can recommend that the boss create the schedule further in advance? Or at least tell you in advance what 2 days you will have off? Otheriwse, I don't think there is that much that you can do.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:46 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Only you know your boss well enough to decide if he's approachable or not. If he is just talk to him. Maybe your excuse could be that you want to take a weekend trip once in awhile. As long as you're willing to be flexible with it I don't see why he'd have a problem with your request.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
If they won't give you a schedule with the same 2 days consistently off, is there any way that you can recommend that the boss create the schedule further in advance? Or at least tell you in advance what 2 days you will have off? Otheriwse, I don't think there is that much that you can do.
Pretty much. Generally in retail and food delivery, the schedules are made based on anticipated volume and unless you have a real reason to need a consistent schedule, it is not going to happen.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
My daughter had the same problem with her job. Even though she has worked there for two and a half years all of the new hires came in and requested certain days & hours off for school, etc. and got them. Since my daughter is sort of soft spoken they never took her requests and complaints seriously. It continues to be a problem.

Pick a day that seems like a less busy day at work and start to volunteer that day. You don't need to tell your boss that it is only every other week for two hours. But say that you need every Wednesday (or whatever day you choose) off and insist on it. That way you can make doctor and dentist appointments in advance and make other plans. If that works out try for a second day.

Also, having shifts made out farther in advance would be helpful as well.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My daughter had the same problem with her job. Even though she has worked there for two and a half years all of the new hires came in and requested certain days & hours off for school, etc. and got them. Since my daughter is sort of soft spoken they never took her requests and complaints seriously. It continues to be a problem.

Pick a day that seems like a less busy day at work and start to volunteer that day. You don't need to tell your boss that it is only every other week for two hours. But say that you need every Wednesday (or whatever day you choose) off and insist on it. That way you can make doctor and dentist appointments in advance and make other plans. If that works out try for a second day.

Also, having shifts made out farther in advance would be helpful as well.

Good luck to you.
Thsi may work. But, OP, be prepared to lose hours. Even if you have been getting 38 hours per week with open availability, I guarantee on the application near availability it says your availability effects your hours. You tell them there are days you are not able to work, expect your hours to drop. Possibly significantly. A LOT of times in retail the people with the open availability get close to 40 hours per week because when the schedules are made around all the other requests the person with the open availability is there to fill in the schedule gaps. What I am saying is, even if you had 40 hours one week and were off tues and wed does not mean you will continue to get 40 hours when you request those days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment