Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM

79 posts, read 286,068 times

Advertisements

My skill set needs a revamp, but unsure which to work on.

I've been programming for over 15years, and the route I took was Pascal to Delphi, and eventually some SQL.

My company is using Visual Studios and MS SQL for the current development, and some C#.

In concept, the codes and theories are similar. I just need to learn the syntax.

But I am wondering if this is worth mastering, or should I try other language and development platforms?

When I look at job listings, I often see Oracle or PeopleSoft. I wonder if this is a good alternate to pursue.

If any of you want to share your coding transitions over your careers, I'd appreciate your perspective of the matter. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
I am a lead in a large-ish C#/.NET shop. I mostly focus on web apps. I have about 8 years experience overall.

It all depends on what you want to do.

PeopleSoft and Oracle Apps can be very lucrative *if* you have the business domain knowledge. Generally these areas tend to dominated by consulting firms, so the high rates mean lots and lots of travel. It's also often not particularly technical, mostly configuring vendor products, report writing, etc. A lot of people get there via the Business analyst route.

If you like software development, my advice would be to learn C#/SQL through and through, make sure to get good web skills, and learn some modern tooling like O/R mappers, MVC patterns, etc.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 PM

79 posts, read 286,068 times
Thanks for the input Sassberto.

My current project is C#/.NET using MS Visual Studio to convert our current Win32 app into web base. So I'll get this mastered and see what other project I can get later next year.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I took my current job with knowledge mainly in C++ ((high school actually tought something useful)) and a touch of SQL (running a game server) but I quickly adapted to the Visual Basic, .Net and FoxPro environment. I'd say master as many languages as possible.

I'm going to be taking on a big promotion and raise as a result of my flexibility.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,549 times
Currently working with FoxPro (and FoxPro-based legacy applications, ie - TeleMagic) as well as some older call tracking software (really old, company no longer exists). I also do some SQL and SuprTool related work as well.

I've been looking at going for an Oracle Certified Professional certification. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:46 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Around here there seem to be far more MSSQL development and DBA positions than for Oracle. Oracle positions are often more lucrative, though.

ANSI-standard SQL works in both Oracle and MSSQL though.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:04 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Oracle jobs tend to be either DBA / Admin jobs or using the bundled tools (i.e. Oracle Apps). DBA work is quite lucrative but not easy to get into, you need lots of experience and a good reputation (would you let a greenhorn run the corporate financials database?)

Generally the Oracle world is dominated by contractors, you can do very well if you have the skills and experience. Most new development work is happening on SQL server, there is more opportunity over there. Personally if I had to do it all over again today and was just starting out I would probably concentrate on SQL Server 2005, in particular mastering the Reporting Services and SSIS.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Guy across the street worked for Oracle. Made some SERIOUS money. We only saw him on the weekends. Spent his time between Texas, California, New York, and Nevada (I think). He was real tired of airports and airplanes. When IT went south so did the job.

He retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment