Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,497,102 times

Advertisements

Let me first say I am not talking down to anyone that has gone this route I just wanted to find out from hiring managers and HR if taking a job completely out of your field and much below your skill level will hurt you future chances for a good job.

I have been out of work since last June and have been working hard to find work in my field high tech sales. I have a lot of exp. and a good track record I have made it to finalist in the hiring process 4 times and no offer, one of them the position was cancelled the others they picked someone else.

I am considering maybe even doing some sort of retail job but after working in high tech sales or investing and finance working at Walmart or Target looks bleak but not for the reason you probably think.

I am concerned if I went to work in retail it would really hurt my future chances to get back into high tech sales. I try and think about it from a hiring manager's point of view and they see 12 years of high tech sales and then 9 months at Target and now he wants to work for us in high tech sales don't think so.

So what do you think does it hurt my image for future employment or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 08:10 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,522,759 times
Going for target mobile?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Going for target mobile?
You mean like smart phone kiosk sales? If so I would consider that. I have actually applied at some positions I am overqualified for including inside sales.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
it doesn't look great on your resume - i wouldn't do it if i had the choice. but a lot of the time people don't have a choice. i think it's surmountable (and *should* be understandable in this economy), but it does raise questions.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,522,759 times
Yes that's what I mean. But they are hesitant to hire people who may leave quickly for something better. Many of these retail stores are using outsourcing for salespeople in stores. You have to find the company they hired, not target or best buy directly.

Edit to add. The outsourcing company IS looking for people interested in moving upward, so your experience might be helpful. But you still have to start at the bottom.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 PM

29,848 posts, read 24,947,456 times
What exactly is a "job below you" entail? Is that a job that doesn't utilize all of your available skills? A job that doesn't afford your desired and perceived standard of living?

I don't think any job is below me. The way I see it, unless you're going to create your own job, your only option available is to take the best option/offer available. If none of the options are to your liking, you must then consider creating your own. If the market will bare it, or if there is a use for it, you can then have a job you feel suits your liking.

Does taking a lower job hurt you long term? Not nearly as much as allowing yourself and your skills/experience to stagnate. I would much rather hire someone who at least has proven they can show up on time to a job with regularity than hire someone whose been channel surfing for an extended period of time.

And I would be happy to give a run down of some of the crappy jobs I have done over the years that most people wouldn't think highly of, or would never consider doing themselves! But hey, I gotta eat, and some of those crappy jobs pay pretty good when no one in lining up to do them! But when other opportunities have presented themselves, I have had no problem jumping back into the game. To be honest, I think those lower level jobs made me work harder at perfecting my skills and growing my knowledge once I found something better.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times
From a hiring manager's perspective, if you had, say, 10 years in a particular career track and then 1 year doing something else, I wouldn't hold that against you.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,685,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What exactly is a "job below you" entail? Is that a job that doesn't utilize all of your available skills? A job that doesn't afford your desired and perceived standard of living?
to me, it's a job that doesn't use my skills. hiring managers like to see a career trajectory that puts you in progressively more responsible positions. i've even seen job descriptions that spefically require that. they also don't like to see people ditching jobs after a short stay, which is what you might end up doing if you take a lower-skilled job while looking for one that better suits your career.

reasonable managers will realize that nowadays more and more people have to take whatever job they can get, but it is still more desirable to have a resume that shows that you advanced and were able to choose your roles thoughtfully. that's easier said than done, of course!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM

Andy et al; the way I would view it if I was a HM is this. We have this guy Colorado that is multi year President's Club award has many other sales awards and now he is working at Walmart or Target. If no one else wanted this guy except retail why should I?

I have done everything in high tech sales B2B from selling to SMB to enterprise hardware, software, network services to all size of companies.

I am actually considering doing commission only sales just to stay in the industry and be in contact with companies so I have access to leads which will make me more attractive as a candidate.

I already went back to doing some part time work, which is ending, with my previous employer mainly to fill an employment gap, but that is not high tech sales per se, it's helping running a small hedge fund, doing int. IT work, jack of all trades and master of some. So if I do retail for 9 months now I am out of true high tech sales for almost 2 years which will make it even tougher.

As I mentioned, I am applying for jobs I am overqualified for like inside sales in high tech. I could probably manage the team quite frankly.

I am considering doing sales at Verizon Wireless I need to find out more info about it pay, benefits, etc. Benefits are something I need.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 PM

29,848 posts, read 24,947,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I am actually considering doing commission only sales just to stay in the industry and be in contact with companies so I have access to leads which will make me more attractive as a candidate.
If sales is your forte, this is what I would do. I keep hearing that a lot of sales jobs are now becoming commission only. One of my friend's dad does this. Does ok. Not great. But doing ok this days is like doing fantastic a decade ago

I think companies are just very unsure of the economy right now, and they can't afford to make commitments now that they can't keep 4-6 months from now. Seriously, a lot of companies have been playing this wait and see game for years now after the recessions was dictated over by our comrad in chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment