Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM

171 posts, read 407,539 times

Advertisements

This is my resume:
[scribd]156218719[/scribd]

I'm looking for my first full time job in this field, because I love to write. However, this is my first time doing something like this, I'm 18. Any tips and help you all can give me would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I would not count on your writing experience to get you a technical writer job. That is one area that almost always requires experience. You will need to show the ability to plan and execute equally well independently or within a team, facilitation and presentation skills, have strong interpersonal skills and most importantly organizational skills. Since you would be taking technical and business information and rewriting it in a way that can be easily understood and utilized by non-technical people, you need technical experience. Typically this comes from being a "super user" of a database management software system, where you work with the application developers as a liaison with the other users. Doing screen captures, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material means some graphic arts experience.

Based on your resume, content writing, which is more website based may be more appropriate, but only if "running a website" means that you have some HTML experience.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:11 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default Some advice

1. Buy your own domain name. GoDaddy.com Host your website there. Take the cheap route. Search for a GoDaddy Promo Code before you buy. Your website is: about you + portfolio
2. Join LinkedIn
3. Get 100 business cards made. Cheaply. As plain as possible. http://www.vistaprint.com/contact-ca...ds&xnav=TopNav Your email address would be joe@joethewiter.com and not joe@gmail.com
4. Talk with your parents' friends about opportunities.
5. Look at Fiverr: Graphics, marketing, fun, and more online services for $5. The pay is very low, but you can gain some experience.
6. Think about specializing in a field.
7. Buy any 3 books by Jay Conrad Levinson about Guerilla Marketing and read them. Alibris has cheap used ones.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 PM

171 posts, read 407,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would not count on your writing experience to get you a technical writer job. That is one area that almost always requires experience. You will need to show the ability to plan and execute equally well independently or within a team, facilitation and presentation skills, have strong interpersonal skills and most importantly organizational skills. Since you would be taking technical and business information and rewriting it in a way that can be easily understood and utilized by non-technical people, you need technical experience. Typically this comes from being a "super user" of a database management software system, where you work with the application developers as a liaison with the other users. Doing screen captures, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material means some graphic arts experience.

Based on your resume, content writing, which is more website based may be more appropriate, but only if "running a website" means that you have some HTML experience.
I have HTML experience so I think I'll go with this. Do you think it's possible to find one working online? I can't move around because of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Buy your own domain name. GoDaddy.com Host your website there. Take the cheap route. Search for a GoDaddy Promo Code before you buy. Your website is: about you + portfolio
2. Join LinkedIn
3. Get 100 business cards made. Cheaply. As plain as possible. http://www.vistaprint.com/contact-ca...ds&xnav=TopNav Your email address would be joe@joethewiter.com and not joe@gmail.com
4. Talk with your parents' friends about opportunities.
5. Look at Fiverr: Graphics, marketing, fun, and more online services for $5. The pay is very low, but you can gain some experience.
6. Think about specializing in a field.
7. Buy any 3 books by Jay Conrad Levinson about Guerilla Marketing and read them. Alibris has cheap used ones.
Thanks for the tips and book suggestions!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 PM

475 posts, read 1,371,369 times
You can go to one of the tech sites that are conduits for one off contractors.
https://www.elance.com/

I don't know the demands of it but once you've accomplished something, perhaps it can work.
However as a non-technical major in college, the going notion has always been, it's easier to learn how to get your tech ideas across with some editing help, then to get the tech in your brain good enough to write about it. The other posts confirm this. You need to become somewhat techie to be able to write about it. I mean unless you want to earn money translating/creating manuals or something for TVs/DVDs whatever, then maybe learning Mandarin would be more useful as you could help out a huge number of amazon product manuals, from bookshelves, desks, all the stuff right off the ship.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Elance.com or odesk.com

Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM

122 posts, read 155,986 times
Wow, you're just completing high school and you've already had a lot of job experiences. Pretty impressive if you ask me. It's possible for you to find a job in oDesk or Elance; however, you've mentioned that you're looking for a full time job so maybe you could go to https://www.staff.com/
They're offering only full time online jobs, you might be hired by a huge company there. Just try it out. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
243 posts, read 367,010 times
I work from home as a content writer, editor and ghostwriter. I recommend going to work-at-home sites that have job postings and discussion forums to help you sort through the scams and the good companies. Don't know if I can post links here, but there is a lot of information on wahm.com, workplacelikehome.com (you have to join this one to access it) and realwaystoearnmoneyonline.com. There are worthwhile content writing and other types of writing jobs out there, but you have to weed through the ones that pay ridiculously low rates or steal writers' material. I've found these sites to be especially helpful in that respect.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
Your resume should be impeccable regarding punctuation and style. Have someone good proof it for you. I suggest putting "Education" last, since my mind came to a screeching halt at you still being in high school. I say hit 'em with your best shot before telling them your educational status.
I don't think OP would get a job as a tech writer in a company or anything that formal. (I worked for two years as a tech writer in software companies after getting a rigorous certificate in it, and having worked in news copyediting for many years). I do agree with the online bidding jobs, like guru.com and elance, where it isn't about resumes but about work done. Maybe OP should give him/herself more credit for the software and hardware work and maybe find something there as an in. It's easy to find writers- it's harder to find techies who can write. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment