Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Metropoulos & Company and Apollo Global Management bought the former Hostess brands and say they will produce Twinkies, Ding Dongs and HoHos just fine without the help of the Teamsters Union.
The new company will make a major investment, nearly $60 million to reopen at least four bakeries within the next two and a half months. They’ll also be hiring nearly 1,500 employees.

Your next Twinkie will be 'union free' | www.whiotv.com

Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
People love those brands. Glad to see them returning to the shelves.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
Will not taste the same. The non-unionized wage slaves making them will be apathetic that they are not valued or paid a living wage and it will show in the foods quality.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM

827 posts, read 1,089,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Will not taste the same. The non-unionized wage slaves making them will be apathetic that they are not valued or paid a living wage and it will show in the foods quality.
Lol yeah right.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 PM

I'm delighted 1,500 new jobs will be created.

I'm a fan of Twinkies, so I know I'll be buying them again.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
I liked the cupcakes with the white swirls. Hoping those come back. Betting the non union employees will manage to get the swirls right.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 AM

I needed the break from Hostess as I want to lose a few pounds, but enjoy them too much, so I'll be buying again shortly. I'm sure they will be as good as ever.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:22 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
"The president of the bakers union is still confident their workers will be back soon saying “only our members know how to get that equipment running, a work force off the street will not be able to accomplish that."

They will just hire a few experts in the industry, and probably pay them pretty decent. The rest of the workers will likely be typical poverty level working class, likely receiving government assistance. None of that will change after they begin a career as a Twinkie maker. Higher profits, cheaper twinkies, and an ever ballooning federal, and likely state deficit. None of this benefits me at all, as I don't eat that crap. Why are my tax dollars subsidizing this madness?

"Metropoulos had a quick answer pointing out the plants are in places with high unemployment.
They are confident there will be plenty of qualified and eager employees ready for a steady paycheck."

Of course they will be making twinkies in the location with the highest unemployment. More desperate workers willing to work for less. The state/city will probably trip over themselves to offer incentives at the expense of the tax payer to convince the company to do business there. Happens repeatedly, especially down south, there the majority of our federal dollars are sucked into. If this region requires so much federal funding to feed it's workforce, why are they allowed to offer tax incentives to steal jobs from the north, where wages are actually livable and fewer workers require government assistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm delighted 1,500 new jobs will be created.

I'm a fan of Twinkies, so I know I'll be buying them again.
They weren't really created. Positions were eliminated when Hostess threw in the towel, and then created again. These "new jobs", or reincarnations will pay less. Less tax revenue, and less money to be spent stimulating the economy. Not something to really cheer about at all, especially if we could do the math. A large percentage of these new hires will likely require government dollars to make ends meet, but the company itself will probably find all sorts of ways to minimize their tax burden.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
"
They weren't really created. Positions were eliminated when Hostess threw in the towel, and then created again. These "new jobs", or reincarnations will pay less. Less tax revenue, and less money to be spent stimulating the economy. Not something to really cheer about at all, especially if we could do the math. A large percentage of these new hires will likely require government dollars to make ends meet, but the company itself will probably find all sorts of ways to minimize their tax burden.

Many corps have closed before with even larger job losses, with no new ones added back.

I'm delighted to see new jobs out of this, hopefully this time with a sustainable cost structure..might even be able to carry >1 item on a truck.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 AM

[quote=andywire;29314047. If this region requires so much federal funding to feed it's workforce, why are they allowed to offer tax incentives to steal jobs from the north, where wages are actually livable and fewer workers require government assistance?.[/quote]

Stolen-how-LOL? The workforce quit by refusing to even consider the best offer on the table. Wonder how 92% of their last paycheck looks now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment