Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 PM

103 posts, read 326,000 times

Advertisements

Right now I work in the restaraunt industry. Im a cook, and lately I've been no longer wanting to be a cook. I work at the best restaraunt in the state, people come from all over to try to work at this restaraunt. But lately I just fell that I need to get out if the restaraunt industry, it really hit me when after a busy dinner service I saw one of my co-workers who's around 37 (looks like he's 45) sweating and leaning over the sink tired as a dog. I said to myself I can never be that, even though I know he makes good money (about 18/hr). I just feel I should leave the restaraunt industry for awhile because I'm seriously kind of tired of it not physically but more mentally, sometimes the thought that I'm going to be really busy just drives my day down. It's not that I can't Handel my station or anything like that because I'm the best sauté chef there and that's like the hardest station. It's just I'm tired of working hard at work. I've been thinking about going to work at boeing or something like that. Do you guys think I should try switching career fields for awhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Right now I work in the restaraunt industry.
This is NOT a career position.

It's a get by on in a new town until something better happens position.
Or a pay the bills until school is over and the hours work position.
Or a need some extra cash part time job position.

Quote:
Do you guys think I should try switching career fields for awhile?
I think you should first find an actual career (or some sort).
Even if you had a real career position you should expect some a change up in that.

It's not uncommon for people to go back to school an change careers 3 times before retiring.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Sometimes, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. There is nothing keeping you from exploring your options, but perhaps if you are good at what you do now, you should find a way to continue on the path you are on, but in less of a pressure cooker atmosphere.

Do you just go from sous chef to Boeing? Do you have an aeronautical engineering degree you aren't telling us about?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 PM

103 posts, read 326,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sometimes, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. There is nothing keeping you from exploring your options, but perhaps if you are good at what you do now, you should find a way to continue on the path you are on, but in less of a pressure cooker atmosphere.

Do you just go from sous chef to Boeing? Do you have an aeronautical engineering degree you aren't telling us about?
No, I don't have any type of aerospace degree. But there is a big boeing plant in my city and I have a few friends and extended family that work there and I was thinking about giving it a shot. But like you said I'm pretty good at what I do now but I just don't want to be in a position where I'm in my 30's (I'm 20 now) and look up one day and think damn I should have done something different.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:36 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
What area do you live in? $18/hr will get you by, but it's not what I would consider a career level wage. I would look to some other form of work if you're having doubts at this point in your life. Think of how many years it took that 37 year old cook to reach $18/hr. Probably doesn't have much put away for retirement and will be working past the traditional retirement age to get by.

The only reason I would recommend sticking with this work long term is if you plan to open your own restaurant in the future. That comes with it's own challenges, and it's anything but secure, though the upside is greater than what you have right now.

The big advantage you have right now is that you can work part time while attending some form of secondary education. I guess the big question would be, what interests you? Do you want to open a restaurant one day, or do you want something else?

You mentioned Boeing... You can't simply show up and expect a position there. Most of their new hires possess some form of in demand skill set up and above a pulse. Depending on your interest, you could take trade classes and work to gain some relevant experience. Expect 4-5 years of work/school before you will have an appreciable skillset that would be useful for them. CNC machining is a popular choice, and there is solid demand for them (good ones) at Boeing. You could also attend engineering school if you're good enough at math and don't mind 4 years of college.

Be advised... Boeing has been eliminating jobs for years. Much like other manufactures, their goal is to do as much as they can with as few workers as possible. They have also been eliminating in house jobs in favor of outsourcing work to various suppliers around the country. You could make good money working for one of Boeing's many suppliers, but it would be a far cry from a Boeing wage. Oh yea, and those jobs are not immune from elimination either...

It's a jungle out there. Good luck in your pursuits.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 PM

43 posts, read 92,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John8818 View Post
Right now I work in the restaraunt industry. Im a cook, and lately I've been no longer wanting to be a cook. I work at the best restaraunt in the state, people come from all over to try to work at this restaraunt. But lately I just fell that I need to get out if the restaraunt industry, it really hit me when after a busy dinner service I saw one of my co-workers who's around 37 (looks like he's 45) sweating and leaning over the sink tired as a dog. I said to myself I can never be that, even though I know he makes good money (about 18/hr). I just feel I should leave the restaraunt industry for awhile because I'm seriously kind of tired of it not physically but more mentally, sometimes the thought that I'm going to be really busy just drives my day down. It's not that I can't Handel my station or anything like that because I'm the best sauté chef there and that's like the hardest station. It's just I'm tired of working hard at work. I've been thinking about going to work at boeing or something like that. Do you guys think I should try switching career fields for awhile?

YES! If you're unhappy now, it's only going to get worse as you get older. I don't know what your plans are, but even if you had your own restaraunt, it would be even more work and being on your feet all day in your twenties, is very different from doing it when your forty! If you can, go back to school, college, trade school, anything to increase your value in the workforce. If you're not ready for that then, try Boeing but I have a feeling that won't be easy either. Things only get more complicated when your older, marriage and kids have a way of changing things and you never know what life is going to throw at you. People always say: "it's never too late!" but sometimes it is, the time to make a move is NOW! They say when choosing a career path, you should do something that you enjoy so much, you would do it for free. If you don't know what you want to do, start with what you like! Good luck.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,920 times
You've still got time to change; are you in college? As for your 37 year old co-worker it's probably the stress that makes him look like 45. Continue working until you find another job something that you enjoy. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
I definitely would figure out what you want to do and get more education if not learn a trade of some sort.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This is NOT a career position.

It's a get by on in a new town until something better happens position.
Or a pay the bills until school is over and the hours work position.
Or a need some extra cash part time job position.

I think you should first find an actual career (or some sort).
Even if you had a real career position you should expect some a change up in that.

It's not uncommon for people to go back to school an change careers 3 times before retiring.
I changed careers at age 40 and again at 57, enjoyed all 3 but really love this last one. Started the first at age 22, out of graduate school. For someone age 37 $18/hour is not good money, that's the time when people will have several kids that will need to go to college and $36/hour is pushing it. You are at a good age to be able to get additional education and/or training for a career that you can stick with and have a comfortable income.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
like it or not a lot of the population manage to get by on much less than $18 per hour. I'm not saying anyone should settle for a dead end job... everybody should follow their dreams... but it's doable.. perhaps not in Seattle or San Francisco or NYC...

The problem with starting over is it takes money..college is expensive.... but if you do the math and have the persona to succeed in your new field go for it... I'm lucky enough to have blue collar work that pays more than $18. Not much more though. I could make up to $24 at my place of employment if I changed positions.

Sadly we will never have the standard of living our parents and grandparents have, where they could survive on one income manufacturing things back when america made stuff, before the technological revolution and the art of automation. Unless your relatives just happen to buy or inherit a lot of land.. really getting a head for someone without a lot of money is somewhat tough these days... the rich get richer and the middle class stagnate... they work more and more hours for less and less money as the rich get richer and richer... something will break eventually.. you can only beat a dead horse for so long before it will not get up no matter how much it's beaten...

something will happen to redistribute the wealth again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment