Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

I just find it appalling that one would cry that she can't take the second job offer because she doesn't have a car.

OK, hard to believe.

I had no money when I had my first job offer 300 miles away. I used the job offer to secure a loan for a brand new car and I moved to a place that was 5 minutes away from the company. I was paid $35K in a country with a much higher tax rate - I get exactly $1200/month after all said and done.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it is ILLEGAL for people to live in an office space.

it would be colossally stupid to allow employees to sleep in the office, which is why most places don't allow it.

i take it back though, there are certain circumstances where people are allowed to sleep where i work, which is a hospital:

1. the nurses who man the life flight helicopters, who work 24 hour shifts with 6 hours of sleep time. they are on call during that time and sleep in the hospital.
2. when there is a disaster (such as a huge blizzard) when emergency vehicles have to go and get the critical hospital staff and they are stuck at the hospital for days.

but they don't just let people stay here because they're having trouble getting to work. and this is a place that is set up for people to sleep in, not an office where, again, it would actually be illegal to have people staying there.

i used to work at an office where everyone who worked was truly like family. but i can't imagine asking them if i could stay there overnight (unless, again, we were stuck there in a blizzard or something) because that would just be bizarre and inappropriate.
Please go back and read again. I never said "living." All I said was to stay overnight for a few days. Three would be the max.

Again, that was just an idea. If doesn't apply, then doesn't apply. Find a different way.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What if she's a prison guard, she could sleep in the cell, right? Maybe she's anstranaut who can sleep on a space shuttle.

Please don't be ridiculous. I just gave a few examples. Maybe they apply and maybe they don't but certain they prompt you to think of ways to overcome the problem.
I think the suggestion of sleeping on your employer's premises, either inside the workplace or in the parking lot, because you are either carless or homeless, is not viable and would not be met with enthusiasm by any business owner or manager because, at the very least, it would open the company up to all kinds of unnecessary and unwarranted liability issues. I also think any employee who would attempt to do so would end up quickly being unemployed in the worst case scenario or would end up being looked upon as a weirdo or an inconvenience at work in the best case scenario. Let's make some real world suggestions instead of ridiculous ones, okay?

Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
here's what i would do:

1. swim to ireland
2. gather and dry some rushes from the bogs
3. weave the rushes into a working automobile
4. drive back across the ocean
5. go to work in the morning.

GOD the OP must be a total LOSER if she doesn't do something as simple as that! she'd only have to do it ONE TIME. i have personally done it 87 times, in the snow, uphill.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Please go back and read again. I never said "living." All I said was to stay overnight for a few days. Three would be the max.

Again, that was just an idea. If doesn't apply, then doesn't apply. Find a different way.
"staying overnight" is "living" and is just as illegal as staying there a month, or a year. offices are not for people to.... let's say "lodge" in so you don't get all fussy again. they're not for people to stay overnight in! that's generally not legal!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:49 PM

219 posts, read 439,571 times
Here is a legit work from home job
Legitimate, meaningful work from home - LiveOps
Here is another
https://jobs.alpineaccess.com/

If you have to travel from city to city you might want to look into megabus, their fares are really cheap. You could depending on weather, distance, and health combine some sort of mass transit with a foldable bike. The foldable bikes are allowed on the bus and you can buy one for less than 200 on ebay.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Personally, I would have moved on week 1. If not, certainly within the week after I got a warning for missing work.
Guessing she would have done so IF SHE HAD ANOTHER JOB!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:52 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
here's what i would do:

1. swim to ireland
2. gather and dry some rushes from the bogs
3. weave the rushes into a working automobile
4. drive back across the ocean
5. go to work in the morning.

GOD the OP must be a total LOSER if she doesn't do something as simple as that! she'd only have to do it ONE TIME. i have personally done it 87 times, in the snow, uphill.
You forgot the hand to hand combat with the shark on the way there.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
"staying overnight" is "living" and is just as illegal as staying there a month, or a year. offices are not for people to.... let's say "lodge" in so you don't get all fussy again. they're not for people to stay overnight in! that's generally not legal!
Nothing illegal unless the employer flat out ban such activity i.e staying in the office over night.

I wish my company bans that!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Guessing she would have done so IF SHE HAD ANOTHER JOB!
She said she had another offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment