Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:50 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times

Advertisements

feels good, but i don't know if i'm gonna take it.

i already tried to turn it down once (well remove myself from consideration) because of the money, then they asked me what would work for me and i came back with about 30% more than they had previously offered and they said yes and offered me the job.

the area is everything we want, except that it's not a great place for my husband to start his business. not terrible, but not as good as some of the other places we are looking.

i got the pay up from crappy to ok, but my husband has some independent income right now that makes it acceptable. he will not have it indefinitely, though.

it's a contractor position, so no benefits, and extra unpaid work and taxes (i factored that into my pay negotiation, but i was conservative)

to top it off, i had an excellent phone interview today and moved on to the second interview for a job that pays really well and is also right up my alley.

while i was waiting for that call, i got a call from another place where the guy was so excited about my experience that when i told him the pay wasn't going to work for me, he said he'd find out what the absolute max was and get back to me.

then while i was on the phone doing the interview, i got a call from ANOTHER place to set up a phone interview.

all of these places are in locations that are much better for my husband's business.

i feel so conflicted; on one hand i feel like i should take the offer i have. it's a neat job that is interesting to me and will look impressive on my resume, and the people seem nice. and i have had SO MANY interviews; i don't feel like having these new ones is any kind of guarantee.

on the other hand, it could be very very tough making it work in a new area with this job. the work varies with the season and the first month and a half will be pretty slow. and my husband's business is really his dream and i want him to be able to pursue it. plus obviously if his business does well, we do well.

i dunno, i am just venting while i mull this over, but i'd love to hear other people's thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM

30 posts, read 96,178 times
keep looking. it seems pretty clear to me that negatives outweigh positives....well, you seem to emphasize negatives far more, which tells me that you really don't want this job.

good luck.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Well congrats you got an offer, that's good. Sleep on it if you can, make a spreadsheet comparing pros and cons. I would probably take it at this point.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:25 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Go out and celebrate being in demand. Things will be more clear when you recover from the hangover. :-D

Old 05-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseccus View Post
keep looking. it seems pretty clear to me that negatives outweigh positives....well, you seem to emphasize negatives far more, which tells me that you really don't want this job.

good luck.
well, living in an area we love is a big factor, even if it doesn't take many letters to say it! it's beautiful, affordable, home to interesting people and things, close to a lot of places where we love to go, far enough away from our parents for me but close enough for my husband (i love both sets of parents but i don't want to see them once a week)....

the job is also something i'd love to do and it uses my favorite skills!

you're right though, i am leaning toward saying no.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:00 PM

382 posts, read 664,383 times
YAY!! You give me hope and congrats.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:02 PM

thank you!

now i'm leaning toward saying yes, by the way. dammit!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Your husband's business. How long has he done this business. Is he likely to change plans and do something else? I would hate to see you turn down a great job because of your husband's business, only to see him switch careers in 6 months anyway..even though you sacrificed your job for his business.

Can he tweak his business plan for the new area? Or make a living doing something else in the new area? What else do you love/hate about the new area?

It's real important to do a job that you love that uses your favorite skill. I don't think I would turn it down if it was me. Especially if hubby's business is going to be new anyway.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 PM

it will be a new business, but it's something he's had a lifelong interest in.

the problem with the area is not so much the lack of a market, but there's a lot of competition. and the market is not gigantic, and is sort of seasonal.

in the area around where his parents live, there are a couple of places where there is a big gaping hole where his business should be. basically no competition.

we're also looking in philly, where there is a lot of competition but also a HUGE market.

it's possible if we lived in the area for a while and got to know it, he could find his niche. it's hard to say.

it's hard to think of what else he can do, because he destroyed his hands doing his job for 20+ years. now he can't do that, and he can't do anything else that requires him to grip for more than a few seconds or more than a few times in a row with his right hand. or type. or do a lot of other things. opening a car door handle can be really painful to him.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
it will be a new business, but it's something he's had a lifelong interest in.

the problem with the area is not so much the lack of a market, but there's a lot of competition. and the market is not gigantic,...
Maybe he can get a job working for the competition, rather than starting his own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search