Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,554,119 times

Advertisements

So, a family member of mine (with a penchant for lying) works for Tru Green. He's been there for about 4 months, and claims to make $40K/year plus commission. Now, I can't say whether or not the salary part is true, but recently he showed up at my house with a late model Mazda 6. He claims that he broke 3 performance records in April and that the company rewarded him with a new car. Apparently they even put the car in his name, per his claim. He explained that, even if he quit, the car would remain his. While I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm not really buying the story. Does this sound remotely believable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:53 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,154,772 times
First prize: a Mazda 6
Second prize: a set of steak knives
Third prize: you're fired!

Glengary Glen Ross aside, he "won" a car worth almost his annual base salary after 4 months selling lawn care services? Hard to believe.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM

392 posts, read 704,789 times
If I have to guess, I would say "Tru Green" is code for his mary jane side business. Puff puff pass bitchez

Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,658,788 times
New car compliments of Enterprise or Avis for the week.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 PM

29,848 posts, read 24,953,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
If I have to guess, I would say "Tru Green" is code for his mary jane side business. Puff puff pass bitchez
Well, they do deal with grass... Just a different variety than you are thinking.

Lawn Care | Lawn Care Services |TruGreen

Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 PM

119 posts, read 410,580 times
While I think it's fair to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, I don't think that 4 months of work would get a car as reward, unless you somehow discovered the combined cure for cancer (all types), HIV and stupidity. Also, very few companies will award a car free and clear, though I know Avon and the like do so on a yearly basis. I think he's just over his head trying to impress some people, and I hope it doesn't come back and bite him in the rear.

With such people, I just nod and smile and tell them congrats, then move on. Sounds like they're out for attention. A Mazda 6 costs in the mid 20k's. They'll give him $40k/yr PLUS commission (which apparently is really high with all of his record breaking... records must've been really weak if you can break 3 in a month, especially after only working there for a month or two), and PLUS a $25k car? Yeah. No. Amount of believability? About 5%, just because of his lack of seniority and the type of business

Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, they do deal with grass... Just a different variety than you are thinking.

Lawn Care | Lawn Care Services |TruGreen
Uh, yeah. He was making a joke.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCelestina View Post
While I think it's fair to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, I don't think that 4 months of work would get a car as reward, unless you somehow discovered the combined cure for cancer (all types), HIV and stupidity. Also, very few companies will award a car free and clear, though I know Avon and the like do so on a yearly basis. I think he's just over his head trying to impress some people, and I hope it doesn't come back and bite him in the rear.

With such people, I just nod and smile and tell them congrats, then move on. Sounds like they're out for attention. A Mazda 6 costs in the mid 20k's. They'll give him $40k/yr PLUS commission (which apparently is really high with all of his record breaking... records must've been really weak if you can break 3 in a month, especially after only working there for a month or two), and PLUS a $25k car? Yeah. No. Amount of believability? About 5%, just because of his lack of seniority and the type of business
Your first sentence made me spit out the water I was drinking! I feel bad for his parents, because they are really believing this nonsense. I just think they've been lied to so much that they honestly want to believe he is telling the truth for once. Either way, it's not the worst thing he could've done, but he spends so much effort trying to escape criticism from his folks that he lies about things he could otherwise just be honest about. I think he bought and is financing the car on his own, but since he's 21 he doesn't want his parents telling him what a stupid idea they think it is, since they gave him their old car to drive (which runs well). However, my cousins and I are getting some entertainment out of it, and we know that when we all see each other in a few days, we're going to pressure the truth out of him.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
LOL, I wish he was selling some MJ. I'd help him reach his sales goals!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:39 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,778,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Your first sentence made me spit out the water I was drinking! I feel bad for his parents, because they are really believing this nonsense. I just think they've been lied to so much that they honestly want to believe he is telling the truth for once. Either way, it's not the worst thing he could've done, but he spends so much effort trying to escape criticism from his folks that he lies about things he could otherwise just be honest about. I think he bought and is financing the car on his own, but since he's 21 he doesn't want his parents telling him what a stupid idea they think it is, since they gave him their old car to drive (which runs well). However, my cousins and I are getting some entertainment out of it, and we know that when we all see each other in a few days, we're going to pressure the truth out of him.

Yea, nobody is going to be giving a 21 year old a car after working for them for 4 months. He is undoubtedly lying.

I imagine he does actually have the job he mentioned and is making good money for a 21 year old. Its probably going well. He seems like he would be a good salesman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment