Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,579,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
DURHAM, N.C. -- Women exhibiting a low-pitched, creaky voice known as "vocal fry" are considered less competent, educated, trustworthy, attractive and hirable, according to research from Duke University's Fuqua School of Business.
Source: 'Vocal Fry' Could Limit Success of Young Female Professionals - Duke's Fuqua School of Business
Study: PLOS ONE: Vocal Fry May Undermine the Success of Young Women in the Labor Market

Can't say I am at all surprised. If I hear a girl talk like that, "bimbo" is the first thing that pops in my head. Of course I understand it can vary by region but there are quite a few where I live and I wouldn't hire them either.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-01-2014 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Copyright: Do not quote more than a snippet of a copyrighted article

Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Not surprised either. It's annoying. The new valley girl sound. I don't know why so many young women are mimicking this sound, other than they're watching the Kardashian's and think it will make them more attractive.

Sunday Morning on CBS had a segment about this a few weeks back. For those who don't know what vocal fry is, do a search on youtube for "Vocal fry" speaking with Faith Salie.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:19 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Had to YouTube it. Never knew it had a name, I just called it "stupid idiot".

Definitely not making it past the phone interview.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:27 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,487 times
Sadly I know girls like this, and they have jobs.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Sadly I know girls like this, and they have jobs.
Yep.

And they usually work in office jobs, because while their voice sounds horrible, they're typically great eye candy for their male bosses to admire. In fact, it may even be sexy to them (see dumb blonde stereotype).

Old 05-31-2014, 10:48 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yep.

And they usually work in office jobs, because while their voice sounds horrible, they're typically great eye candy for their male bosses to admire. In fact, it may even be sexy to them (see dumb blonde stereotype).
Exactly these two interns were both blonde, and the President of the company, had their cubicles directly in-front of his office. (Makes for some nice eye candy). I don't mind honestly I would hire attractive women at my company.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Had to YouTube it. Never knew it had a name, I just called it "stupid idiot".

Definitely not making it past the phone interview.
Yeah, I had to look it up, too. I've never heard a Kardashian speak, but I would have to question the good sense of anyone who tried to model him- or herself after anything some talentless reality-TV star does.

I think this is just one of many speech tics that would put an interviewee in a negative light, though. A vocabulary full of "likes" and "uhhs" and "y'knows" would be a big strike against somebody, too. So would ending every sentence with a vocal upturn, as if every comment you make is a question, because it makes you sound unsure of anything you say, or that you constantly need validation and affirmation. So would certain thick ethnic or cultural accents -- think ebonics or redneck-talk. Ethnicity or culture shouldn't be held against anyone, of course, but sounding like an educated fool will always handicap you, no matter what you look like.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:37 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Yeah, I had to look it up, too. I've never heard a Kardashian speak, but I would have to question the good sense of anyone who tried to model him- or herself after anything some talentless reality-TV star does.

I think this is just one of many speech tics that would put an interviewee in a negative light, though. A vocabulary full of "likes" and "uhhs" and "y'knows" would be a big strike against somebody, too. So would ending every sentence with a vocal upturn, as if every comment you make is a question, because it makes you sound unsure of anything you say, or that you constantly need validation and affirmation. So would certain thick ethnic or cultural accents -- think ebonics or redneck-talk. Ethnicity or culture shouldn't be held against anyone, of course, but sounding like an educated fool will always handicap you, no matter what you look like.
I feel like my voice and manner of speaking are a big reason why I always had such trouble with passing interviews. My problem is the opposite - I have a very childish high-pitched voice that gets even more high-pitched when I'm anxious (I've been asked by telemarketers "is your mommy or daddy home", at 30). I also tend to stammer and falter and go 'uhh' and 'umm' a lot when I get nervous, and I always get nervous when speaking with anyone in a position of authority. Plus I tend to start speaking really fast too without enunciating well, and people often can't understand what I'm saying. I never sound confident in my tone of voice, making it sound like I'm lying even when I'm telling the honest truth.
I don't know how to fix all these things, I've had it since childhood. I've gotten so many interviews for positions I was perfectly qualified for, but never passed them, and I expect this was a big reason.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
Frankly, I'm more irritated by VOWEL SHIFT, but yes: Vocal Fry would mean you would not become my Personal Assistant/Personal Trainer/Leasing Agent/Building Manager/Salesperson for whom I ask when I enter a store. And you would not be admitted to the 'development pipeline' leading to associate or executive status. Frankly, you would not become my ANYTHING. I wouldn't even want you in my house, if you were with the Caterer.

If someone working for me hired you because you are "eye candy", then that person (women hire women as eye candy, too, ya know...), would be terminated, and you'd be headed out the door with them. That 'vocal style' says "Spoiled Little Itch", "Daddy's Princess/Mommy's Toxic Mini-me", "Former Cheerleader" and "TROUBLE".

Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-01-2014 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Removed off-topic portion

Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
One of the worst offenders featured in the CBS Sunday Morning piece on this subject was (now former) New York Times Editor Jill Abramson, and somehow she was able to succeed despite this quirk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment