Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:53 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times

Advertisements

So much for getting a useful degree....

Quote:
"When formulating policy, elected representatives need to consider the actual conditions in the U.S. labor market, rather than simply responding to pressure from employers in industries that wish to hire large numbers of foreign STEM graduates," the authors suggest. "While employers may find this situation desirable, it is difficult to argue this is the interest of American people as a whole."
Quote:
"The data indicate that the supply of STEM workers vastly exceeds the number of STEM jobs, and there has been only modest wage growth in these professions," they conclude. "This reality should inform and shape public policy moving forward."
Study Finds No Shortage of High-Tech Workers in U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
yes exactly that means like most other countries americans need to stop going to college endlessly and instead learn a trade and yes maybe even take a job overseas with that new trade.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
The answer is not to try to find pursue what one thinks is the most useful degree as much as it is to be a useful person.

There are tons of people out there with useful degrees that are below average performers. So pursue a worthwhile field, but most importantly, be good at it. Then, you'll be useful, not the degree.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I saw this yesterday and think the answer is somewhere in the middle of both sides. On one hand, I know several technical people who are underemployed or out-of-field, but these are for various reasons - unwillingness to relocate, bad behavior at prior jobs, etc. On the other hand, I know several engineers (not software engineers) in mechanical, civil, and electrical engineering, all of whom went to either state flagships or regional state schools, and all of whom have engineering jobs.

I think this is more of a tech problem than an engineering problem. Jobs in math and the pure sciences have been on the decline for a good while.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
As always skill shortages are nearly always phony despite the obnoxious assertions of executives and their government stooges that Americans are too stupid and lazy for STEM fields. The simple fact is it is a desire to rip off highly inteligent American workers with crapo pay or substitute them with cheaper h1-b slaves. This exchange in which Sciencecareers Beryl Benderly asks Eli Lilly CEO John Lechlieter why he keeps claiming there is a shortage of scientists when big pharma laid off hundreds of thousands of them and he fumbles arround with double talk is a good illustration.

Chemjobber: Lilly's John Lechleiter and PhRMA's John Castellani on pharma layoffs: no good answers for ScienceCareers' Beryl Benderly

Quote:
But the highlight of the event had to be ScienceCareers's Beryl Benderly asking John Lechleiter and John Castellani, "Um, why did you have all these layoffs in the past decade, if you guys need STEM workers like crazy?" Here is her summary of the event. She asked a tough question and got absolutely horrible answers. They boil down to "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying employment numbers?"

Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM

514 posts, read 764,689 times
Companies are sick of the H1B1's. They are beginning to discover their cheap wages are not so cheap when you factor in their incredibly low productivity. I hate to say it, but if an Indian hasn't graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology, I pretty much disqualify them as a walking cost-bomb.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
The answer is not to try to find pursue what one thinks is the most useful degree as much as it is to be a useful person.

There are tons of people out there with useful degrees that are below average performers. So pursue a worthwhile field, but most importantly, be good at it. Then, you'll be useful, not the degree.
This is just a great post, and an even better thought. Thanks for it!

Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

Exactly, I studied Software engineering, and electrical engineering for my own personal knowledge, not a job.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:29 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I saw this yesterday and think the answer is somewhere in the middle of both sides. On one hand, I know several technical people who are underemployed or out-of-field, but these are for various reasons - unwillingness to relocate, bad behavior at prior jobs, etc. On the other hand, I know several engineers (not software engineers) in mechanical, civil, and electrical engineering, all of whom went to either state flagships or regional state schools, and all of whom have engineering jobs.

I think this is more of a tech problem than an engineering problem. Jobs in math and the pure sciences have been on the decline for a good while.
As to relocation, it may not be as cut and dry as some people make it out to be...

Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM

215 posts, read 260,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
As always skill shortages are nearly always phony despite the obnoxious assertions of executives and their government stooges that Americans are too stupid and lazy for STEM fields. The simple fact is it is a desire to rip off highly inteligent American workers with crapo pay or substitute them with cheaper h1-b slaves. This exchange in which Sciencecareers Beryl Benderly asks Eli Lilly CEO John Lechlieter why he keeps claiming there is a shortage of scientists when big pharma laid off hundreds of thousands of them and he fumbles arround with double talk is a good illustration.

Chemjobber: Lilly's John Lechleiter and PhRMA's John Castellani on pharma layoffs: no good answers for ScienceCareers' Beryl Benderly
Most of the Visa workers in my company get paid VERY well. They are a little cheaper during the first few years but this is done to offset cost of sponsorship. Also, labeling them as slaves is extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment