Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

About a year ago, I applied for a positio that I was amply a qualified for. I was a previous employee of the company, although I resigned when I was on disability, when I applied , they gave me a lengthy phone interview (45 min) and even offered to come down to San Diego for a Los Angeles position. Ie, they seemed very interested. Now that an equal posiyion has been posted. An HR rep in Sam Francisco phoned me, asked me questions and said that he would pass my info on to hiring manager. 3 days later, I already have a rejection e- mail saying that there are more qualified individuals - which I very seriously doubt. Should I just phone the hiring manager and just ask her "WHY?" I have her direct phone #. I think that they should have at least given me a face to face interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 06:06 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Nope, i understand how you feel, but this is a bad idea. Who knows what happened and it doesn't really matter. And they probably won't tell you anyway.

I mean if you WANT to be blackballed, that's a good way to make sure you are!

Last edited by groar; 05-17-2013 at 07:17 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Why do you "seriously doubt" there are more qualified individuals?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I agree with groar, and what makes you think there were not better qualified applicants? We're still getting 50-100 applying for every position even with 5 years experience required.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Nothing good is going to happen if you call.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:46 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Forget about contacting them and keep applying.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
They would never tell you if you were anyways. For legal reasons.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Why do you "seriously doubt" there are more qualified individuals?
Because I was a top salesman at the company for almost 3 years back in 1997-2000. I was very good at what I did. I fell into a bad situation with a VP Sales who later got fired herself for her behavior back then. This is the decond time that the HR people have called me to give me a cursory phone interview. Suddenly, they don't need to talk to me anymore after only 3 days (maybe two)! The first phone interview (one year ago) seemed like a sure thing. When I was rejected (without so much as a FTF), I sent a hand written letter to congratulate them on their hire (an interview book suggested that I do this). I tried to convey a sense of humility. Then, this HR interview got my hopes up again just one day after I submitted my resume online! I feel like I have "Nothing left to lose" with this company since I can't even get to first base with a face to face interview to present my case to them. If I could only get to do that, I am 100% sure that I could sell myself. There were two positions for two different geographic areas (Los Ang & Orange Cty). I'd like to phone the HR (SF guy) again to ask him to consider me for the OC position just to see what his reaction is even though we ruled that out in the cursory interview. I don't feel very respected also because I saw the quality of the people that they hired for this position when I worked there. The folks that they hired back then were not REAL salespeople and could not "sell ice to an eskimo". I've already told a friend about this position because I don't think that I really have a chance. She OTOH is a woman, bilingual and good looking. I think that she has a much better chance than me. When I told her about this opening, she also commented to me that it was an "easy" job because she and I really did the heavy lifting at this company (the sales) and knew what the previous gal was like.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Because I was a top salesman at the company for almost 3 years back in 1997-2000.
THIRTEEN YEARS AGO???

That’s pretty arrogant to assume that in 13 years and millions of potential candidates later that you are still the best. I compliment you for your assertiveness in the thinking, but you get a failing mark for common sense with that thinking and your additional explanation.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
THIRTEEN YEARS AGO???

That’s pretty arrogant to assume that in 13 years and millions of potential candidates later that you are still the best. I compliment you for your assertiveness in the thinking, but you get a failing mark for common sense with that thinking and your additional explanation.
In sales, you really have to believe in what you do and that you can offer something better. Unless the quality of their hires has significantly improved over what they used to hire, I can honestly say that I could literally run circles around the competition. That is a FACT. In life, we are always told that we should pay our dues. I feel like I have those and then some. When do I get my chance?

Last edited by wehotex; 05-17-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment