Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 AM

205 posts, read 284,912 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here is the background information:

I'm 32 years old, went to an "Ivy League" university where I obtained a B.A. in International Relations (2003). Then, I went to live in Italy for the past ten years where I obtained a law degree (LLB, NOT JD). The Law system is totally different. I have two passports -- US and UK (EU). Due to the employment situation there, I was never able to find a meaningful or interesting job, so I spent the better part of my days teaching English (a dead end job considered by many to be for losers). I felt totally unsatisfied because the work was "below" my intellectual capacity but continued at it until I decided to return here to the US. I did manage to get a university teaching position in Rome, but unfortunately it was only a substitution and the glory was short lived -- all good things come to an end. For the last three years, I also managed to find some work in attorney' s offices as an assistant: trademark law, international law, comparative law. But all those were temporary positions. Due to the terrible unemployment situation now in Italy, I decided to return to the US and have been here since December 2012 -- living at my parent's house (unfortunately). I have been unable to get a single job here (NYC area), despite my credentials, trilingual language skills and international experience. As time passes, I get more and more frustrated and feel there is no way out - I send out my resume to dozens of Craigslist and other job site posts a day and still manage to get no response 99% of the time, having secured only two meaningful interviews since December. Is this normal?

I know it's not my resume because recruiters have told me that I have an "awesome" resume. Is it being "overqualified? Does the lack of US experience hurt me?

Perhaps it's egocentric to think that I am the only person in this situation but I do feel that the combination of factors mentioned here contributes to my sense of hopelessness. What suggestions do you have? All of this is terribly depressing and I have lost all desire to continue looking for work. Why bother if they don't even answer e-mails?

Any response would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,151 times
Are you only job-hunting in the NYC area? Are you willing to take a job in another part of the US if offered?

Old 05-27-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Are you only job-hunting in the NYC area? Are you willing to take a job in another part of the US if offered?
Yes, but would really prefer not to since there would be the difficulty of me not having a car or driver's license. The only "carless friendly" city here in the US is the NYC metro area or perhaps Boston and some others. I had a driver´s license but since I was abroad and never renewed it, I have to take the written and road tests all over again.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,516 times
Go where the jobs are and quit fooling around. Houston TX is booming and you will find a decent job there so move.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Go where the jobs are and quit fooling around. Houston TX is booming and you will find a decent job there so move.
In my field, totsuka? There aren't too many choices, anywhere, for paralegals with my particular background. I'll try sending my resume to Houston options, but they seem as limited as NYC postings on job sites.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
philly is a decent place to live car-free. the job market might not be so hot, though. portland, the san francisco bay area, chicago, and seattle as well. actually it would probably be easier to list the large cities that you CAN'T get around without a car.

i don't know much about the legal field but i know that my friends with law degrees have an incredibly hard time finding work. and yes, being trained in italian law doesn't seem like it would help you much in the u.s.

it's really hard to stay positive when you're looking in this market, no matter what your situation. all the rejection is hard to take. all i can say is keep trying. also, there is some good advice here: if you’re not getting interviews, read this

you say you've gotten good feedback on your resume, but what about your cover letters?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,502 times
I know a few people who get around great in San Fran without a car, and it's a great city. I would check into that and Chicago in a heartbeat. Can't hurt to look.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,552 posts, read 81,131,933 times
I too know recent law school graduates working for minimum wage, many doing work previously done by paralegals. Seems like the best way to leverage your unique experience is to target companies that do international trade. That means big software companies, airlines and jet manufacturers, oil companies,
auto manufacturers. Italy is not exactly on the top 10 list but Boeing had a parts supplier there, and there's plenty of Italian wine being imported.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Take your drivers license test again, asap.

You will see another poster named Green-Mariner who lost out on a job offer once they found out he didn't drive or have a license.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunniholm View Post
Yes, but would really prefer not to since there would be the difficulty of me not having a car or driver's license. The only "carless friendly" city here in the US is the NYC metro area or perhaps Boston and some others. I had a driver´s license but since I was abroad and never renewed it, I have to take the written and road tests all over again.
This should be priority #1 in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment