Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 PM

194 posts, read 635,938 times

Advertisements

This confuses the hell out of me and is really pissing me off.

My supervisor consistently tells me that I'm not working enough and not stepping up enough.

The thing is, all the work that I need to get done, I get done in a normal amount of time. My boss wants me to keep working after that. And yet I have gotten all of my work done, so I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing.

So my thought was to go to him and sound very polite and ask, "So what is it that I can take off of your or other people's work loads in order to make things run more efficiently around here?"

For a while his answer was always, "Nothing that I can think of." So I would just go home.

But he continually tells me that I don't work hard enough and don't step up enough, so I continually ask him that question, expecting to have more work dumped on me because of what he says.

Today I asked it again, and he said, "This might offend you, but you need to stop asking that question and just get the work done. I feel like you work at about a 50 percent level and I need you to be working at a 100 percent level."

I asked him, "If I get all of MY work done, and I'm not supposed to ask you what else you need me to do, then how am I supposed to keep on working if I don't know what else I should be doing?"

He said, "Be like a lifeguard. Just be constantly scanning around the office and workplaces for things that need to be done."

I just quite simply have no idea how to deal with working for him. I've been here a year and I can't get any sort of read on what he wants from me or how I would be considered a good employee here.

Is there anything at all I could do about this situation or is he just crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
He's not crazy, instead of hand-holding, he wants you to show some initiative instead. Figure out what everyone else is doing to see how you can help.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 PM

194 posts, read 635,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
He's not crazy, instead of hand-holding, he wants you to show some initiative instead. Figure out what everyone else is doing to see how you can help.
Now if I was able to get my work done in 5 hours during an 8 hour day, then of course I would constantly be on alert for the other three hours trying to figure out how to be the most productive.

The thing is, I do all of my work, and it takes at least a good eight hours a day, sometimes more. But after I get all of that done, he wants me to stay and work overtime, even when there is nothing else to do. If I was able to think of something else that needed to be done that I could be doing, then I would put that on my list of things to do now, wouldn't I?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Maybe ask your coworkers what you can help THEM with?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,234 times
Maybe just don't admit when you're done with your work, or take longer to do it. That's probably what everybody else is doing :-)

Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Now if I was able to get my work done in 5 hours during an 8 hour day, then of course I would constantly be on alert for the other three hours trying to figure out how to be the most productive.

The thing is, I do all of my work, and it takes at least a good eight hours a day, sometimes more. But after I get all of that done, he wants me to stay and work overtime, even when there is nothing else to do. If I was able to think of something else that needed to be done that I could be doing, then I would put that on my list of things to do now, wouldn't I?
Maybe he thinks you`re taking too long to get your work done. Maybe other people are getting their normal work done quicker and then doing other things to help around the office. We don`t know since we aren`t there. He wouldn`t just say that for no particular reason. But, if it is as you say, then I don`t understand why he wouldn`t call you in the office and just lay it on the line to you. Tell you exactly what he means and what he expects from you. Again, since none of us work with you and are only hearing your side of the story, noone can answer your question. You should just go to him and ask him point black, just like you posed the question here. That`s what I would do the next time he mentioned it. I would say, I`ve finished all of my work. It has taken me all day to do it. My eight hours are over. What else is it that you need me to do? But you should ask it right when he accuses you of not doing enough. Ask him to be specific because you have completed the task that you were assigned and it is now past quitting time.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Pull out a copy of the Policies and Procedures (or similiar) of your company and read them at your desk or work area.

Clean out your work computer of old and/or junk docs, emails, forms, etc.

Organize your desk or work area, get a box and label it and pack in it old(er) files, manilla envelopes of information, receipts, etc. from previous years.

Read up on how to actually use the programs on your computer that are work related so that you get the full benefit of them. I mean email, how to "X", Windows Office: how to use all the perks of PowerPoint, or Outlook, etc., and/or your company's preferred apps.

Get a swiffer and dust your office or area, God knows everything gets dusty, tops of windows and pictures, move everything off your desk and dust the back of your equipment, etc.

Take an inventory of supplies that you need and use, or for the worker who orders them. Think of things you would use if you had them.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Never give your boss the idea that you have nothing to do.

You need to *LOOK* like you are busy at all times, even if you are just twiddling your thumbs.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 PM

686 posts, read 1,768,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Good suggestion.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
The thing is, his coworkers are gone. He said it takes him all of his shift and sometimes longer to just get HIS work done. He seems to think his supervisor wants him to stay after hours when all of the work is done. That is the perplexing part to me. That`s why I say the next time the supervisor brings it up, I would have a heart to heart with the supervisor. If I were a supervisor and I kept telling someone they needed to do more, I wouldn`t have a problem with them asking what they could do. As a matter of fact, they wouldn`t have to ask. I would call them in the office and tell them exactly, if I had a problem with them. Obviously, he doesn`t know what else to do and it`s only going to get worse if he hasn`t a clue. He has already stated there isn`t anything else to do, at least in his mind. He has also said, he can`t help others with their work because it takes him all day to his. I say man up and communicate directly. But only when the situation warrants it. I think a person should have a clear understanding of what their duties and responsibilities are. I also think it is the supervisor`s responsibility, as the leader, to communicate those objectives clearly to his team. Someone shouldn`t be floundering around wondering what they are supposed to do at work and get no clear answers from their supervisor or be scared to ask him/her directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment