Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM

460 posts, read 1,139,921 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to do some research on careers that pay well, are not typical 8-5 office jobs, and that either provide on the job training, or do not require too much training (let's say less than 12 months).

I don't know how much attention this thread will get, but if you are in such a career I, and probably many other folks, would appreciate it if you'd post your job title, type of training, maybe how difficult jobs are to come by and a brief description of what you do.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Oil is a cyclical sector. When it's hot, even grunts can bring in the money hand over fist. Labor shortages are common during the booms because many times, the sites are located in small towns with a small populous, and very little else to encourage visitors. COL in these towns can also get crazy during these booms because the locations aren't designed for a large influx of residents. Food and shelter become the big expenses. Real estate get's incredibly expensive. Those who buy property during these booms often find themselves massively underwater when the bubble pops (which it inevitably does) and these folks usually end up right back where they started... In need of work and dirt poor.

Railroads... Not a bad life for someone who doesn't mind sitting on a train for long periods of time. Pay is decent and there are usually pensions. I guess this isn't bad for someone who plans to stay single for most of their working life. If you can work in one of the applicable trades, you can make very good money and have the luxury of staying in one place permanently in most cases.

Donno what you mean by gas. Natural gas, refineries, or something else?

I have seen some interesting trade opportunities in the mining and oil sectors. There is strong demand in mining for machinists, which has been kind of tempting. The problem is the COL in the small towns where the jobs are located is significantly higher than you'd expect. You might make $25/hr to do a basic job, but renting a house in the area eats a good chunk of your income. I've talked with a few guys in these sectors and they warned my about this. Guys rush there with their toolboxes for good paying jobs only to realize the cost of renting is that of a big city without all the amenities. The cost of buying is also just as high. Always consider COL when deciding where to work, not just the pay.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,082 times
The railroad has fantastic opportunity if that's up your alley. Odd irregular hours and primarily hard labor jobs are the catch. You usually have to know somebody though to get in on the good work. Steady work and good income is assured.

There are also off-train positions for the railroad like logistics, yard positions and clerk work.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:33 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,921 times
I appreciate the comments. I'm hoping to try to try to get some ideas in this thread for position titles.

A title I saw recently that had me thinking was mud engineer.

In train jobs I've looked into dispatcher before.

Another job was actually in the nuclear field, health physicist or rad tech -- I think they were they same thing, but I can't recall that might be two different jobs.

I'm guessing a lot of these positions, just like seemingly all other jobs, it takes knowing someone to get a foot in the door. But, I'd like to collect some information on jobs that people don't normally think of.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I want to break into selling parts and software for oil and gas. While they turned me down for lack of direct experience they are hiring for lots of positions.
Thomas Tools, Schlumberger

Shell is hiring in Houston I noticed on linkedin. A lot of hiring in Houston I believe.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:34 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTN View Post
I'm trying to do some research on careers that pay well, are not typical 8-5 office jobs, and that either provide on the job training, or do not require too much training (let's say less than 12 months).

I don't know how much attention this thread will get, but if you are in such a career I, and probably many other folks, would appreciate it if you'd post your job title, type of training, maybe how difficult jobs are to come by and a brief description of what you do.

Thank you
I have worked in both the railroad and the oil and Gas industry. I knew no one in either industry or at the individual companies where I gained employment.

Right now I am a refinery operator, who is a board fill in.

Basically, I had on the job training. The training was not less than 12 months though. It took a few years of on the job experience and more training to become a board fill in.

I'd say the job is at least somewhat difficult to come by due to the high starting salary for little experience. I think starting salary might be $26per hour for an operator trainee.

Refinery operators basically, lock out equipment, make line up changes, respond to unit emergencies, and check equipment.

Board Refinery operators control, the pressures, temps, flow rates, levels, and unit feed compositions to make on spec product.

Last edited by Iamme73; 06-01-2013 at 09:55 AM..

Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,965 times
In the railroad industry, I was an apprentice freight car repairer at the nations largest railroad company Union Pacific.

And I was a signal maintainer, installer for Norfolk Southern Railroad.

I'll be honest, at the time I got both of those jobs, getting into the railroads was competitive, but did not seem to be overly difficult.

At the time, the railroads were really hiring.

Both jobs required long term on the job training though.

A freight car repairer, fixes and maintains the railroad freight cars, by doing welding, changing out trucks(the wheels), springs, checking the air brakes, fixing broken rails, etc.

A signal maintainer/installer inspects and repairs the railroad traffic system. Signal installers for lack of a better term installed the railroad traffic system equipment.

I really enjoyed being a signal installer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment