Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 01:52 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

rich people work, because thats how they got wealthy,

and it's a good thing they do....the u.s. has 40% on some sort of welfare,,,,

and it's very ironic, the welfare crowd hates the rich,,,and they are the ones,,giving them free stuff..(taxes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I must be extremely unmotivated. If I had enough money to live on, I would not work, ever.

So, it is mind boggling to me, that people who have plenty of money, continue to work. I suppose they like their work, or identify themselves by their work.
If I ever came into a windfall, I would continue to work, even if it's just part time. When I was younger, I never understood people who won large sums would continue to punch the clock. I had big dreams of sitting by the pool everyday, getting up when i want, etc.

However, as I get older I see the need that some have to get up and have structure and a daily routine in adition to being productive. I feel the same way now. Personally, I would go crazy sitting around the house all day. In fact, i will work as long as i'm able to, even well past "retirement" age.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I just know that if I was rich, I would not work. There is a lot to do in the world. I cannot think of one reason why I would work (the traditional sense of work). I would maybe open a bar or few in my favorite places in the world, but I would be detahced from the daily operations. I have no feeling of wanting power or influence over others. I basically would want to be elft alone and go do my things I want to do.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
rich people work, because thats how they got wealthy,

and it's a good thing they do....the u.s. has 40% on some sort of welfare,,,,

and it's very ironic, the welfare crowd hates the rich,,,and they are the ones,,giving them free stuff..(taxes)
I'd go nuts without something productive to do. I also can't stand daytime TV (soap oprah's and judges yelling at near-do-wells).

A lot of people on welfare aren't doing so because their lazy but because more and more jobs pay so badly that even if they worked they'd still be at risk of either starving to death, being homeless, or dying on the streets without medical care and even those crap jobs are very difficult to get now a days.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Work, especially in an engaging and challenging job, has significant health benefits. It keeps your mind active and generates emotional benefits. A lot of CEOs high-end executives get depressed after retirement and start new businesses or do consulting work not because they need the money but because they want to engage their minds. One can only play so much golf without getting bored eventually.

The unfortunate truth is that the jobs that earn a lot of money: inventors, designers, performers, entrepreneurs, high-end executives, etc., are emotionally satisfying in their own right.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
When I retire, I won't be sitting on the couch all day. In fact, I won't even have a house as I will sell it and buy a small RV to live out of. Then I will travel around the country until I die. That's my current plan at least.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
If rich, I'd volunteer. No way I could go day to day doing nothing. But most importantly, things would be on MY terms, not some bosses' mundane Mon-Fri, 9-5 routine.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,890 times
Depends on how they got rich. If they are "self-made", the attitude that got them rich is what keeps them working. These are ambitious workaholic types. If they had the attitude of "if I had X amount of dollars I'd just stop working", they'd probably never have gotten rich in the first place.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I must be extremely unmotivated. If I had enough money to live on, I would not work, ever.

So, it is mind boggling to me, that people who have plenty of money, continue to work. I suppose they like their work, or identify themselves by their work.

You'd be bored to death! "Work" is not just for the money! I am working because I love what I do, even if I won the lottery I would still work. Work is good, keeps the brain going. I would be bored out of mind not to work. If I had money, I would travel a lot more, but I would still work.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
I would travel the world, volunteer, create art, take yoga, learn new things (languages, guitar, fiddle, cooking classes), create charities, help others, etc. I would not work. I try to do some of that now, but money=freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment