Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,013,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
There is no hope. I have a call-center job. My life has stagnated. I once had great ambition, drive, and an aptitude for learning. That's all gone now. My spirit and will has been crushed by the cold reality of my limitations. When did it happen? Just today. I woke up and realize that's it for me. I lost too many times and now I don't even have the will to try and win anymore. Instead I've resigned to live within my stagnation and try to find happiness just barely over the poverty line. Love and a general disdain for the injustices others face is all that will drive me hence forth.

Let your rage go. Let your ambition drivel. Why try when you can afford not to and still get by?

Is this life of mediocre really so bad? I'll never hunt wild lions in Africa like I wanted firing off rounds from a jeep and helicopter. I'll never visit Mars or the Moon. I'll never dive to depths of the ocean where the Titanic sank. I'll never own a farm with herds of my own animals, a solar panel, and plumbing that makes me independent of the city. I'll never own military grade firearms to rival an entire platoon. I'l never have enough talent to be number one in some art area. I'll never achieve the dreams I've always wanted because they were too much to dream in the first place.

Yep. I get it now. I'll call it quits. Maybe my resolve will lead me down the path where I simply give up on living altogether, but right now it's just my dreams I'm throwing away.

NO CAREER. NO HOPE. NO DIFFERENT FROM SO MANY.

Sorry if this is the wrong section. Might be more appropriate for the psychology one.
Yeah, you might as well give up on your life right now. You are 24 years old, and have lived such a long and fruitful life. I think you need a dose of reality and volunteer your time in less fortunate countries. See what it's like to go hungry, have no clean water, no roof over your head, sick, and dieing, no medical care, no money...In fact, you don't even need to leave the Country. Volunteer your time with the homeless, the hungry, people living with Aids, children dieing from terminal diseases..

THEN, I dare you to say your life is so terrible, and that you should simply give up living altogether. There are hundreds of thousands of people who would LOVE to switch places with you!!! Sounds to me like you are some sniveling kid who NEEDS A REALITY CHECK! Stop your whining and complaining and start being GRATEFUL!!! You can make changes with your life. Go back to school, start your own business...use your brains, your youth, your freedom, your health to turn your dreams into reality!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
There is no hope. I have a call-center job. My life has stagnated. I once had great ambition, drive, and an aptitude for learning. That's all gone now. My spirit and will has been crushed by the cold reality of my limitations. When did it happen? Just today. I woke up and realize that's it for me. I lost too many times and now I don't even have the will to try and win anymore. Instead I've resigned to live within my stagnation and try to find happiness just barely over the poverty line. Love and a general disdain for the injustices others face is all that will drive me hence forth.

Let your rage go. Let your ambition drivel. Why try when you can afford not to and still get by?

Is this life of mediocre really so bad? I'll never hunt wild lions in Africa like I wanted firing off rounds from a jeep and helicopter. I'll never visit Mars or the Moon. I'll never dive to depths of the ocean where the Titanic sank. I'll never own a farm with herds of my own animals, a solar panel, and plumbing that makes me independent of the city. I'll never own military grade firearms to rival an entire platoon. I'l never have enough talent to be number one in some art area. I'll never achieve the dreams I've always wanted because they were too much to dream in the first place.

Yep. I get it now. I'll call it quits. Maybe my resolve will lead me down the path where I simply give up on living altogether, but right now it's just my dreams I'm throwing away.

NO CAREER. NO HOPE. NO DIFFERENT FROM SO MANY.

Sorry if this is the wrong section. Might be more appropriate for the psychology one.

This will be my exact post if I get laid off again before 2017

Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM

30,282 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Hope and change is coming...You gotta believe in yourself....It took me 8 years after I got out of school before I got my own apartment and a Job I loved.....Believe in Obama. He may need a third term to create all those jobs he said he would... He is an honest man who is watching your back..side.

You have got to be kidding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
This will be my exact post if I get laid off again before 2017
Do not give the devil any ideas. Hush!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,059,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You have got to be kidding me.

Do not give the devil any ideas. Hush!

I just don't know how I can continue on if I was to be laid off again in 2 years and will probably start doing illegal things since I tried to make money legally for 15 years and it never worked out lol

Ran into a friend today who doesn't work in a office but has been employed 13 straight years as a guy who deliver beverages to supermarkets. So he doesn't even know what it feels like to be laid off

Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 PM

265 posts, read 409,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
OP, when you lose hope, you lose everything. Yes, life can be utterly exhausting at times and the will to keep fighting can be extremely difficult to muster. It's just too much, it's overwhelming and when we are met with rejection after rejection, it does something very negative to us if we do not have a strong support system.

So that's where I start: Do you have a strong support system? If so, please lean on them for just awhile. Tell them how you feel and let them help you prop yourself back up.

If you do not have a strong support system, YOU have to be your strong support system. You have a number of options on this, how you will do this but the best thing to do is to treat yourself how you would treat a good friend who said what you said to us, to you! How would you react to a friend who told you what you just told us? What would you do? What would you say?

Not having a career is not all that is going on here. Granted, a steady income...a well paying steady income, will afford you many things on your bucket list but you know, there ARE other ways around these things. (Ahem, work for a cruise line, ahem.)

And you know, sometimes it's OK to be fatigued. It's OK to just stop trying for a minute or two and take a break from it. If you have a job that just gets you by, AT LEAST YOU ARE GETTING BY and that is HALF the battle! See? You're halfway there!

Stop, lick your wounds, grieve for your lost hopes and dreams and stop driving yourself crazy running in to brick walls every single day.

However, you do NOT get to stay in this state of mind forever. Give yourself a little time to stop trying and then get your butt back up and get out there and CONTINUE to try again, in the future. You are far, far, far too young to throw in the towel now! Are you kidding me?! No!

You will regret this with every fiber of your being if you give up right now, for the rest of your life. Find alternative and/or creative ways to fulfill some of those hopes and dreams. They don't ALL have to start off with the big grand prize right from the start. Some of them will be achieved by extremely tiny baby steps.

So, take some mental time off. Then, when are starting to become mentally focused again, get out a piece of paper, (YES! PAPER! Not an email to yourself or a notepad .txt on your desktop, a piece of fricken paper), and write down what your hopes and dreams WERE when you were younger. Don't skimp on a single one just because you don't think it will ever happen, write all of them down. All. Of. Them. You will then carry this piece of paper with you every single day and everywhere you go.

From that point, I want you to take some time and envision yourself DOING those things. Take some alone time, lie down on your bed, stare up at the ceiling and put yourself in the scene, in your mind.

And by, "take some time" I mean days, weeks or even a couple of months.

THEN, you get up, you pick ONE dream. You research that dream. (ie: How much does a round trip plane ticket cost to Africa?) You write down each step for that dream; what will it take to make this happen?

THEN, I want you to start working on achieving each individual step. You need $800 for a plane ticket? Then you start saving whatever you can each paycheck. It doesn't matter if it's $20 or $100, you save something! Open up a new bank account and have it be for this dream only. Deposit all the money you will save from each paycheck for the dream in to that account. The rest of your money goes in to your main account. Do not EVER touch this second account.

When you have achieved the first goal, you then work on the second goal and so on. Eventually, you will have everything you need to accomplish ONE of your goals/hopes/dreams.

This gives you something to work towards, gives you something to look forward to because it is broken in to steps, gives you a sense of excitement because you have already spent the time imagining yourself accomplishing it and have researched it.

This is how you stay alive. Sometimes this is all you've got. Hang on to that and do not let go. I don't care if it takes you 10 damn years to achieve your first goal, you will have achieved it. THAT is the point.
Thank you for this post. This was really good succinct advice, and sort of what I was looking for. Still, I'm not really sold and 'getting back on the horse. However, I will take some time to decompress and perhaps approach my hanging up the towel with the advice you've given me after that.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM

189 posts, read 521,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
LOL, seriously? so you think the downturn that started in 2008 only affected college graduates. Tell that to people that are 40 years an older who are still trying to pull out of it.
I don't think I ever said this Depression affects ONLY recent college grads. I was specifically responding to the OP about THAT age group.

Both my husband & I ( 50+) have been severely impacted by 'Austerity' as I'm sure too many others have in this country & abroad. Our personal plans for our future are severely altered.

But what future is there for any of us if the younger generation must wait years to join the middle-class to help bolster this economy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment