Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,549 times

Advertisements

Now that I have passed 50 years old and am nearly broke I have tried hard to find a job. I have had some luck with the temp agencies for short term jobs but they only last a few days and are unpredictable. I would like to work part time but it seems like the only part time jobs I can find are in retail and involve standing and walking all day. I have physical limitations that will not allow me to stand all day.

Anyone on this board working a part time job other than retail? What are you doing and what would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 AM

208 posts, read 416,197 times
Try non-profit organizations such as museums, historical societies, arts organizations and conservation agencies. Many don't have the ability to offer full time work due to budgets concerns and benefits but they offer flexibility, wonderful opportunities and welcome the experience. You may really stand out against younger candidates when it comes to matters such as employee turnover. It’s a concern for some because some groups rely heavily on institutional memory.

You can also try hospitals. I can't lump them in the non-profits group. Just can't. But they do offer some good opportunities as well.

If you have a trade or skill, try freelance work.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:43 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Try receptionist at a country club.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I have heard that working in a hotel at the counter is a good job. I have heard the same about working in a car dealership as a receptionist.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 AM

44 posts, read 127,168 times
There's an organization out there for older workers called 'Experience Works'. Google their name and see if they can be of assistance to you.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:06 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Now that I have passed 50 years old and am nearly broke I have tried hard to find a job. I have had some luck with the temp agencies for short term jobs but they only last a few days and are unpredictable. I would like to work part time but it seems like the only part time jobs I can find are in retail and involve standing and walking all day. I have physical limitations that will not allow me to stand all day.

Anyone on this board working a part time job other than retail? What are you doing and what would you recommend?
If you are nearly broke, how is it you are contemplating hiring a guy on a street corner with a sign that says, "will work for money?"

Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times
goodtype,

Why don't you simply charge up your credit cards like you said you would do in the other post?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...hen-there.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
So many people I know are living one pay check away from homelessness. If they did not receive their paycheck they are in serious trouble. They could not pay their rent or mortgage, bills would not be paid, food would not end up on the table, etc, etc. In a day of easy credit how could anything like this happen?

Back years ago when I was close to losing my job I sat down with a calculator and determined what amount of money I would need to survive for a year if I lost my job. I calculated my savings, how much unemployment would pay and money from odd jobs etc, against my fixed budget. I determined I would not have enought to survive so I applied for all kinds of credit cards so I would have access to credit uncase I ran out of cash.

Why don't other people get access to credit to help them out on a rainy day?
Or the other post you made

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ng-credit.html

and simply charge up your credit cards and not pay?

The answer to your question is, yes there are a lot of good part time jobs out there other than retail. For instance, there is fast food. There is inside sales. There is telemarketing. There are also many professional jobs that you could do part time depending on your background.

But if you are truly broke, why are you against working in retail? If you have a disability, you can ask for reasonable accommodation from your employer per the ADA; they cannot discriminate against you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment