Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,091,765 times

Advertisements

They also mentioned on an AM talk show yesterday the amount of people that have security clearance as contractors was a huge number, I believe it was hundreds of thousands. It was also his position at the company that just allowed him to dig deeper than what he should have been able to.

But right now, this seems to all be hearsay and no solid details yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM

671 posts, read 1,548,232 times
He was in the Army for just a few months. He 'broke' both of his legs during training, which is probably how he floated himself into the CIA with Vet preference.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:01 PM

35,111 posts, read 31,396,457 times
There are some factors in his case that would contribute to his high salary. I did read a correction this morning where Booz said he was around $120k.

1) He's in Hawaii. Everything is going to be far more expensive than even NoVA, where many of these types of jobs are concentrated. Some of the only places that will likely be more expensive will be Manhattan and certain parts of the Bay Area. An equivalent salary in NoVA, according to CNN Money's COL calculator, is $102k. A big chunk of $120k is required for basic cost of living differences.

2) I'm assuming that $120k is his salary, not what Booz is billing the client. The $200k is probably closer to what Booz bills the client.

With military experience, a clearance, and IT certifications in a specialized area of IT, $120k in HI isn't all that much. Remember, even though he's only 29, he's going to likely have several years of real world experience and earning power over the average 29 year old who went through college.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There are some factors in his case that would contribute to his high salary. I did read a correction this morning where Booz said he was around $120k.

1) He's in Hawaii. Everything is going to be far more expensive than even NoVA, where many of these types of jobs are concentrated. Some of the only places that will likely be more expensive will be Manhattan and certain parts of the Bay Area. An equivalent salary in NoVA, according to CNN Money's COL calculator, is $102k. A big chunk of $120k is required for basic cost of living differences.

2) I'm assuming that $120k is his salary, not what Booz is billing the client. The $200k is probably closer to what Booz bills the client.

With military experience, a clearance, and IT certifications in a specialized area of IT, $120k in HI isn't all that much. Remember, even though he's only 29, he's going to likely have several years of real world experience and earning power over the average 29 year old who went through college.
$120K is high pay for Hawaii and enough to live very well in Honolulu even with its high rent. At a local government IT job he'd be making $50k at best. It's definitely not due to COL

Old 06-11-2013, 04:11 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,450,066 times
$200K is a little above average money for a Gubmint "worker"...I recall that Linda Tripp (Monica's confi'dant) was making $184K a year as a Secretary, and that was over 15 years ago...D.C. is BOOMING..!!!!

Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM

108 posts, read 286,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i think the simple answer is that he's in IT, and that's one of the few professional fields where you really only need to be good at your work to get ahead. you can get to any level in IT without even a high school degree, if you know what you're doing.

there are some issues in general with government contractors and quality control, but that kind of goes beyond the scope of this forum.
Exactly. Plus he probably he had a security clearance from his military days which made him even more marketable. It cost a ****load to get potential employees screened for clearances. In the military, not at the moment, but in the past you could enlist with a GED. I think it's not possible anymore and you have to have your H.S. Diploma. I'm could be wrong. But I'm currently enlisting into the Navy and I had to have a certain ASVAB and a H.S. diploma.

Last edited by BraveNative; 06-11-2013 at 04:28 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,857,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
$200K is a little above average money for a Gubmint "worker"...I recall that Linda Tripp (Monica's confi'dant) was making $184K a year as a Secretary, and that was over 15 years ago...D.C. is BOOMING..!!!!
Yes. Move to DC. You can get a contractor job if you can get a security clearance. I just read the statement by Booz Allen. He was making about 120k , not 200, which is right in line with what INFOSEC contractors make with a little experience.

The GS pay scale goes up to 155k in DC. Not too shabby. Contractors usually make a bit more because there is less job security.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,857,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
He was in the Army for just a few months. He 'broke' both of his legs during training, which is probably how he floated himself into the CIA with Vet preference.

He was a contractor. Vet preference does not apply for those positions. Only federal ones. But yes, he probably got a disablity rating from the VA for his injury.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:59 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,688,397 times
there was a story on npr the other morning that basically said that government contractors are the new $500 hammer - they get paid way out of proportion to prevailing wages and there's no real accountability for the work they do.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM

108 posts, read 286,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
there was a story on npr the other morning that basically said that government contractors are the new $500 hammer - they get paid way out of proportion to prevailing wages and there's no real accountability for the work they do.
My military friends say they get paid more to do the exact same job they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment