Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM

503 posts, read 1,172,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Why do you even ask for advice when you know all the answeres?
Eventually somebody's got to have something that I haven't heard or tried yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM

382 posts, read 664,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Did you miss the part where I said they verbally abused a student to tears because they said they weren't thinking of doing theater after graduating and told students being homeless and unemployed in NYC was better than staying at a retail job in town? The department won't give me recommendations anyway because I didn't get a "high enough grade" in my senior project class.

I appreciate your ideas though.

ALSO: Just received another rejection letter, from Target this time. Clearly things are looking up.
What kind of institution did you attended where the facility would make their own students feel like that !?! That is a poor message to send to the younger generation if they do not follow the goals which are laid forth by their elders or teachers.

Quote:
The department won't give me recommendations anyway because I didn't get a "high enough grade" in my senior project class.
That's bizarre though, I never heard of that case before. You should try asking and press your luck. If bridges are burnt then so be it. People WILL be disappointed in life - all you can do is move on past it and prove them wrong.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant_ZZZ View Post
What kind of institution did you attended where the facility would make their own students feel like that !?! That is a poor message to send to the younger generation if they do not follow the goals which are laid forth by their elders or teachers.

That's bizarre though, I never heard of that case before. You should try asking and press your luck. If bridges are burnt then so be it. People WILL be disappointed in life - all you can do is move on past it and prove them wrong.
Honestly, the school is horrible and many community colleges are better than them. I won't go into details, but I will say I was blinded by the money they threw at me. I was forced to go because my family refused to let me take a year off to sign my own private loans. They were the only school to give me a "full ride" (50% was federal loans, 50% was free grant money.) We couldn't afford anything that required out of pocket payments. My grandmother had to pay for my admissions binder. That was all I got otherwise.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
Well, gosh. I'm not sure what else can be said in this thread then, I think it's ran it's course. There's no advice left to be given, nothing else you can do. I'd wait awhile then try again with Macy's. It's up to you to decide how long to wait, or if you want to try again anyway, when, etc.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times

Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 AM

501 posts, read 801,428 times
ForkInTheRoad, I do not remember if I asked you this before but what about truck driving? You can go to a community college and take the courses (usually about 8 weeks) for a CDL A or CDL B. I have decided to do this. Or you can go directly through a trucking company and they will pay for the courses and teach you how to drive in their trucks, then you sit for the written exam for the CDL. There are trucking companies everywhere.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
ForkInTheRoad, I do not remember if I asked you this before but what about truck driving? You can go to a community college and take the courses (usually about 8 weeks) for a CDL A or CDL B. I have decided to do this. Or you can go directly through a trucking company and they will pay for the courses and teach you how to drive in their trucks, then you sit for the written exam for the CDL. There are trucking companies everywhere.
I can't afford these classes. The local CC doesn't give assistant for non-credit courses. I don't have a regular driver's license or car still, having difficulties learning to drive.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
I am getting a car in a few months when I finally have enough money saved for it, and it needs to be a RELIABLE car. I don't know how long it will take for me to find it. I can't even find a beater car for a 1,000 bucks around here either. Either someone in my family says it's not good enough, or it's only worth scrap value. There's alot of morons on craigslist who will try to rip people off. Then I need to get it registered. Then I need to decide if I am going to continue FIGHTING to get one of those jobs everyone here says is "always hiring". Maybe if I didn't have to apply online and take a bunch of BS tests or get my paper applications thrown out by some random employee. Or find out how to get financial aid to go to a community college for some half-assed piece of paper (NOT a real degree or 4 years) that won't even be worth the paper it's printed on because there's no jobs around here for it, except one that wants 7 years of experience and pays 8.00 per hour.

Last edited by parried; 06-19-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 PM

382 posts, read 664,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I can't afford these classes. The local CC doesn't give assistant for non-credit courses. I don't have a regular driver's license or car still, having difficulties learning to drive.
You need to unstuck yourself -- it may be a while before "the man" would give you a call. In the meantime, Is there any work which your neighbors may need to be done? What are your skills BTW? Does your family own a car? if so ask for some driving lessons - do not let that hold you back!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM

501 posts, read 801,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I am getting a car in a few months when I finally have enough money saved for it, and it needs to be a RELIABLE car. I don't know how long it will take for me to find it. I can't even find a beater car for a 1,000 bucks around here either. Either someone in my family says it's not good enough, or it's only worth scrap value. There's alot of morons on craigslist who will try to rip people off. Then I need to get it registered. Then I need to decide if I am going to continue FIGHTING to get one of those jobs everyone here says is "always hiring". Maybe if I didn't have to apply online and take a bunch of BS tests or get my paper applications thrown out by some random employee. Or find out how to get financial aid to go to a community college for some half-assed piece of paper (NOT a real degree or 4 years) that won't even be worth the paper it's printed on because there's no jobs around here for it, except one that wants 7 years of experience and pays 8.00 per hour.
We have bought 2 cars from Craigslist (90 Honda Accord and 87 Chevy Astro-bought the van for work when we were doing deliveries back in 2010) both were reliable and ran well. I understand there are lemons everywhere however this can be remedied by taking the perspective vehicle to a mechanic (you can even go to the ones with free diagnostic machines) and have them look at before you buy. I would not give up on Craigslist. How do your family members know the car is junk? Are they inspecting the vehicle or are they making those decisions by just looking at the picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment