Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
"That person just got told."

What are you, 13 years old? I hope you don't speak like that in interviews.
Actually, I don't. But I like how you made assumptions about a person you don't even know outside of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM

671 posts, read 1,546,862 times
Quote:
Well, I suppose I know this: You have 7 degrees and can't get a job that pays as much as a BS in Finance from a good school, plus a couple of years experience, at my firm.

From your post it seems that although you have a array of degrees, you've never actually worked for a meaningful period in your "primary field". You keep turning those positions down. In reality, your primary field is actually what you are calling your secondary field.
CindyDavis, where are you gleaning this belief that I 'can't get a job that pays as much as a BS in Finance from a good school...'? Did I say how much I made somewhere? I did not. And for the record, my 'secondary' KSA in which I am employed happens to be in Finance, and I make in the near six figure range (personally, I think that's quite respectable given that I am under 30). Simply having a BS in Finance doesn't earn you that type of pay. I'd also like to direct you to the numerous college graduates in finance/accounting/economics in this forum section complaining about the difficulty in even getting an entry-level finance-related position.

Frankly, you have the intelligence of a sniveling adolescent. I really hate to be so crude, but you are just embarassing yourself. Dismiss yourself from this thread.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
CindyDavis, where are you gleaning this belief that I 'can't get a job that pays as much as a BS in Finance from a good school...'? Did I say how much I made somewhere? I did not. And for the record, my 'secondary' KSA in which I am employed happens to be in Finance, and I make in the near six figure range (personally, I think that's quite respectable given that I am under 30). Simply having a BS in Finance doesn't earn you that type of pay. I'd also like to direct you to the numerous college graduates in finance/accounting/economics in this forum section complaining about the difficulty in even getting an entry-level finance-related position.

Frankly, you have the intelligence of a sniveling adolescent. I really hate to be so crude, but you are just embarassing yourself. Dismiss yourself from this thread.
WOW!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
The fact of the matter, ladies and gentlemen, is the following corollary:

(1) Employers want the best talent.
(2) Employers want to pay the cheapest salaries.

If you want the best talent, you will have to pay for it. But employers instead are fabricating this belief that there is insufficient numbers of qualified talent. They are simply refusing to pay due compensation to the talent that they wish to have. I love how everyone wants to hate the government for 'no jobs'. Instead, hate the businesses that would rather hire a foreigner that is willing to be paid far less for highly specialized/technical work than we do. Mind blown? Yes.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:44 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
The article is total BS from both sides. 40 years ago, employers often trained their own people. They would even have apprentice programs. Today they're all selfish, and want the employees ready to go. But the big government people like this BS too, because then they can cry for even more government spending for education. The middle class continues to be used, abused and exploited by the elites in government, the media and the business community.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,384 times
My state has apprenticeship programs, but you have to wait for available openings (currently none) and have to be jobless and either a veteran, felon, disabled or homeless to qualify.

I should go to war, shoot myself in the spine then commit a felony while living on the streets. Then I can get free job placement, and maybe some press.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:29 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,687 times
Quote:
Actually it's under qualified and poorly educated prospective employees who are trying to fabricate the case that employers are being too selective, and thus they cannot land the jobs they'd like to have.
The fact of the matter is that many employers use selection criteria that is unrelated to the job at hand and, consequently, has little to no predictive ability of an individual's ability to do the job.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
My state has apprenticeship programs, but you have to wait for available openings (currently none) and have to be jobless and either a veteran, felon, disabled or homeless to qualify.

I should go to war, shoot myself in the spine then commit a felony while living on the streets. Then I can get free job placement, and maybe some press.
No no do a video it will go viral on YT and make some bucks

Old 06-22-2013, 06:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
. 40 years ago, employers often trained their own people. They would even have apprentice programs. Today they're all .
doing the right thing in expecting you to believe you are worth investing your own time and money on.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Actually it's under qualified and poorly educated prospective employees who are trying to fabricate the case that employers are being too selective, and thus they cannot land the jobs they'd like to have.
REALLY? Have you even looked at jobs recently? Employers ARE selective asking for two years of experience (on average) for entry level jobs and college degrees for administrative assistant jobs. Guess what, prior to the recession these jobs didn't have those requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The article is total BS from both sides. 40 years ago, employers often trained their own people. They would even have apprentice programs. Today they're all selfish, and want the employees ready to go. But the big government people like this BS too, because then they can cry for even more government spending for education. The middle class continues to be used, abused and exploited by the elites in government, the media and the business community.
This post is too true. Even less than that, we have seen employees who were trained. Now employers want ready made employees to reduce training costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
The fact of the matter is that many employers use selection criteria that is unrelated to the job at hand and, consequently, has little to no predictive ability of an individual's ability to do the job.
Yep that is a major reality. Some people just don't see that in la-la land I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
doing the right thing in expecting you to believe you are worth investing your own time and money on.
Yeah this is allI want. Perhaps that is too much to ask for nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment