Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 AM

382 posts, read 664,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineandSeminoles View Post
The $11/hour job is at a five star resort where they'd be paying for most of my rent and food. Does that make up for the low wage?

I'm honestly so confused. No one prepared me for any of this and I feel like my parents are unrealistic because when they got out of college they were both being head hunted by different software development companies so obviously they were set. Me on the other hand.... not so much.

Go for it!! Room and board are covered!! Now if it was just $11/hr with nothing being covered then no, do not go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:31 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,133,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineandSeminoles View Post
My degree is in Economics, but my past work experience is in retail (part time for the last 6 years). I currently live in the Southeast (wouldn't mind staying down here).

I'm just so confused... is it worth it to take a super low paying job to just get your foot in the door?

My friends who I've asked are 50/50 split. And my family is really against it (I think because they want me to live at home forever.........................).

Also, though my degree is in Econ I've been looking for jobs in communications, PR, event planning, hospitality, etc. So I haven't been applying to any econ related jobs.
Your degree doesn't match the jobs. If you just want a better paying job and to move out, you should target jobs for Econ majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment