Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times

Advertisements

I have been in underemployment hell for the past three years. Worked in retail and factories and hate it. I currently work as a shipping clerk and my job makes me want to slit my wrists at times. Not to mention I make very little money, so I can't afford a decent place to live. I make $10 an hour and live in a small hick town in Indiana. The nearest city is Bloomington, Indiana which is a minimum wage hell hole.

My pay is so low, I am having trouble saving the money to move. No, I don't live beyond my means. This salary just isn't enough money.

I swear the only good jobs in Indiana are stripping and selling drugs and I really don't know what to do. I am not the stripping type and would rather die than do it. I am also a law-abiding citizen, so selling drugs isn't an option either.

I just need help getting out of this hell hole.

I should mention I have a B.S in elementary education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
In what school district are elementary school teachers paid only $10 per hour?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
In what school district are elementary school teachers paid only $10 per hour?
If you read her post, she is making $10/hour as a shipping clerk

Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
What is your previous experience?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I have been in underemployment hell for the past three years. Worked in retail and factories and hate it. I currently work as a shipping clerk and my job makes me want to slit my wrists at times. Not to mention I make very little money, so I can't afford a decent place to live. I make $10 an hour and live in a small hick town in Indiana. The nearest city is Bloomington, Indiana which is a minimum wage hell hole.

My pay is so low, I am having trouble saving the money to move. No, I don't live beyond my means. This salary just isn't enough money.

I swear the only good jobs in Indiana are stripping and selling drugs and I really don't know what to do. I am not the stripping type and would rather die than do it. I am also a law-abiding citizen, so selling drugs isn't an option either.

I just need help getting out of this hell hole.

I should mention I have a B.S in elementary education.
The obvious answer is to get a Masters in Education and become a teacher. If you swing that, that's a pretty good career which pays much better than what you are earning now. Sure, everyone here is going to say teaching sucks and teachers can't find jobs. But teaching is better than most jobs in terms of job demand and security.

Also, if you are good looking enough to become a stripper, it stands to reason that you could land a guy who makes a decent amount. I've watched it happen a lot, whether intentional or not.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
More debt, or find a man. Great advice bro.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Some people dream of getting out of the rat race and live in your "hell hole" _It sounds like you have a nice simple life in a little town - I would rather have that then be some big shot in a bank tower.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Where I work, our building overlooks strawberry fields on which a bunch of field guys are picking strawberries. They probably make $8 an hour, just a guess. I've asked my buddies who are all making six figs if they would do that work for DOUBLE their salary. I was surprised they said yes. No way would I.

Would you pick crops for double your current salary?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,579 times
Why are you a shipping clerk with a BS in Elementary education??????

Get a teaching job!

you have to look outside your current home town for one thing.. Many rural school districts are scrambling to find teachers. Many of those districts will help pay for relocation, housing, clothing subsidies - etc..

Once you get into a rural district go back to school to get your masters. Rural school districts will pay for it. Once you get your masters you will get an approximate $10,000 raise (I know one school teacher that did this).

Hell.. join the peace corps for some experience and to network!
Look for work overseas in developing countries (there are several organizations that need teachers - and sponsor you for working overseas - even if you don't know the language)
Again... why are you a shipping clerk with a BS in Elementary Education????????

Old 06-24-2013, 05:07 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Also live in Indiana, and two hours north of your town substitute teachers earn $20 an hour plus benefits.

I have a full time job in a different field but work as a substitute teacher part time because I love to teach.

OP: move to Hamilton County and sign up to sub at three school districts and you should have plenty of work plus get experience to help you land a full time position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment