Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I've seen a few people get fired after a couple of days-say they have an MBA or college degree...funny how the company I worked at actually checked
I think people used to lie about that sort of thing frequently years back. I worked for a well known company and they hardly ever checked. They seemed to only check if the employee was not working out or got too old and they wanted to cut them loose. It was an easy way of firing someone that did not invite lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think people used to lie about that sort of thing frequently years back. I worked for a well known company and they hardly ever checked. They seemed to only check if the employee was not working out or got too old and they wanted to cut them loose. It was an easy way of firing someone that did not invite lawsuits.

How dumb can someone be

Old 07-28-2013, 03:19 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
How dumb can someone be
I don't get that. Dumb, because the company did not check up front, or dumb because the person lied on the application?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:48 PM

106 posts, read 171,860 times
Wanted a summer job a couple years ago. Took a job as a FedEx package handler. Hot ass warehouse in summer temperatures taking packages off the forever-moving conveyor belt and stacking them in two trucks at a time.

.......At least I was nice enough to actually tell my manager I was done after that second day.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
A co-worker of mine told me she got another job. When I asked her where, I was very surprised as it was a general office job heavy on excel and quick books. While our department was accounting, she just opened mail and sorted it for us clerks to process.. Sure enough she was fired after two days. She tried to come back and work for us but her position was filled. She also tried to get unemployment but couldn't as most probationary periods for UC at that time was 90 days.. I felt really bad for her, she truly thought she was perfect for it from watching us for 10 years. (That's how long she was in her position)

Eta- she was very upset with us before she left as we tried to gently tell her maybe it's a bit much. Even the boss tried to keep her from going. But she was determined as it was more money.

Last edited by momtothree; 07-28-2013 at 05:11 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
On the third day at the job, a temp smart-mouthed a manager (she didn't know it was the manager). I heard that she later found out, apologized, and still the manager fired her at the end of the day.
Pays to keep the mouth shut, eh?

I kept in touch with her, and found out that she soon got another job. However, this was nearly 20 years ago. Ah, the good old days ...

Old 07-28-2013, 06:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Nope. I quit before they get the chance.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
I worked for a health center for seven months, with a six month probation period. My performance reviews were good but they started cutting hours. Around the sixth month, I had gone from 30 hours per week, to just barely 12 hours per week. The office manager told me, when I hadn't been on the schedule for over a week and called to find if there was any change, that I wasn't on the schedule for the rest of the month or the next month. Basically meaning they no longer needed me.

I was crushed and it dug a big hole into my self esteem because I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong and was just thrown out in such a secretive, shady way, although I'd worked overtime even on my birthday for them, I didn't miss a single day except to go to my aunt's funeral out of town, and always got good reviews on my work from the CEO. And I didn't even qualify for UB after that.It really broke me and I haven't worked since. I'll likely now have to see a psychologist or therapist for severe depression and I'm caretaker for my elderly mother now, plus $115k in student loan debt.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Yes, it was a Sales Job and the quota was not met which led to them being canned.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 PM

38 posts, read 52,351 times
Happened to me once. I lasted 3 and half days at a job. During the hiring process, which took 3 months, they kept changing their mind with what they wanted. Then they finally hired me. First 2 days it went well and everyone was happy.

I tried to learn their very specialized software, but the other secretary didn't want to take much time to teach me. The owner always took off seeing customers and his wife was only in for an hour per day. Even though she said, "We'll train you" and then disappeared each day. They told me not to be afraid to ask questions.

By the third day the owner got snippy with me on the phone and hung up on me before I could get the required info I needed. He just had no patience. I tried very hard to do everything right. I had this bad feeling by the end of the day.

On the 4th day the owner's wife got mad at me for asking "too many" questions. I only asked a few. I think the owner's wife just thought that whoever worked there was going to train themselves and she could just go play golf all day.

I saw a lot of red flags along the way that I tried to ignore, but I knew that I had walked into a dysfunctional family run business. I found out the person before me didn't last long either. I'm sure it would have only gotten worse the longer I stayed. I felt crushed losing that job because I looked for so long, but I'm sure I was better off without them. Not long after that I got a part time gig and then a few months later a full time job (at another dysfunctional family business )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment