Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:35 PM

994 posts, read 1,595,516 times

Advertisements

Tell me what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,551,436 times
It is - those 40 and older are protected as far as employment discrimination. Well, on paper they are.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times
I think it should be for everyone and not just for the older workforce. I think there is unspoken discrimination against younger workers as well. Like say "Last in, First out" rif policies, often are against younger workers who do not have seniority. Source.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM

23,676 posts, read 24,237,517 times
In my industry, RIF's are based (usually) on performance, and (sometimes) on politics.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,720,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think there is unspoken discrimination against younger workers as well.
Everyone seems to think they are discriminated against in someway in the workplace.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 PM

486 posts, read 1,258,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Everyone seems to think they are discriminated against in someway in the workplace.
Cause they are. It's called capitalism.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,722,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In my industry, RIF's are based (usually) on performance, and (sometimes) on politics.
I've seen it happen both ways, even within the same company and same group. It often depends on the motive for the RIF. When it was a general RIF to appease wall street, low performers and trouble makers were definitely targeted first. But a couple of times the RIF has been purely financial in the org, and older workers were definitely targeted. We just lost a team member for the very reason. He was the most senior person in the group, and definitely the highest paid. My boss flat out told me it was cost, which usually == age in most fields.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,527,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It is - those 40 and older are protected as far as employment discrimination. Well, on paper they are.
Exactly on paper. I am in my 40's know that I have been discriminated, but can't prove it, because no one really can. I actually reached out to a recruiter I have worked with, and he said he knows companies that will not hire anyone over 35 for sales and he refused to say who. Now I could prob report him to EEOC, but then I burn a possible resource.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:57 PM

503 posts, read 1,174,279 times
I think objectivity should be removed. Aptitude tests by simulating the work entailed should determine employability, and you should be given a number rather than something linking to bein physically identifiable. That way employers can't go "we'll he's too young" or "she's too old" or "they're homeless so no."

Remember when Josh Bell did his violin experiment in public? A rich man's performance for free, and nobody cared. Barely received money panhandling in the subway but gets TONS at a venue for the same thing.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM

805 posts, read 1,163,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I think objectivity should be removed. Aptitude tests by simulating the work entailed should determine employability, and you should be given a number rather than something linking to bein physically identifiable. That way employers can't go "we'll he's too young" or "she's too old" or "they're homeless so no."

Remember when Josh Bell did his violin experiment in public? A rich man's performance for free, and nobody cared. Barely received money panhandling in the subway but gets TONS at a venue for the same thing.
I agree. Though, I assume you meant subjectivity should be removed. A lot of people are qualified for many jobs but remain unemployed because they don't fit the employer's preconceived notions. (Ie: too old or too young, not the right age, wrong or no degree, wrong university, not enough experience, currently unemployed, employment gaps, physical appearance issues, resume length, live out of the area, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment