Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM

503 posts, read 1,174,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
I agree. Though, I assume you meant subjectivity should be removed. A lot of people are qualified for many jobs but remain unemployed because they don't fit the employer's preconceived notions. (Ie: too old or too young, not the right age, wrong or no degree, wrong university, not enough experience, currently unemployed, employment gaps, physical appearance issues, resume length, live out of the area, etc.)
Whoops. I meant subjectivity. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 PM

805 posts, read 1,163,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Whoops. I meant subjectivity. Sorry.
That's alright. That's what I thought you meant. Subjective employee selection criteria are a pet peeve of mine.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Everyone seems to think they are discriminated against in someway in the workplace.
That is because they are. You are either too young or too old, too experienced or too inexperienced, and too educated, educated but went for the wrong degree, educated but went to the wrong school or not educated enough. This seems to always happen when you have a low demand with high supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Exactly on paper. I am in my 40's know that I have been discriminated, but can't prove it, because no one really can. I actually reached out to a recruiter I have worked with, and he said he knows companies that will not hire anyone over 35 for sales and he refused to say who. Now I could prob report him to EEOC, but then I burn a possible resource.
That is the problem. Retaliation is hard to prove sometimes and often not by purpose. Take this example. You report him, it removes a recruiter/head hunter from your network. Do it at with a company, you face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
I agree. Though, I assume you meant subjectivity should be removed. A lot of people are qualified for many jobs but remain unemployed because they don't fit the employer's preconceived notions. (Ie: too old or too young, not the right age, wrong or no degree, wrong university, not enough experience, currently unemployed, employment gaps, physical appearance issues, resume length, live out of the area, etc.)
I agree though some is relevant. If you live say 300 miles away from where the position is and you do not mention that you would move for the job, you sink yourself.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM

26,073 posts, read 22,273,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think it should be for everyone and not just for the older workforce. I think there is unspoken discrimination against younger workers as well. Like say "Last in, First out" rif policies, often are against younger workers who do not have seniority. Source.
Seniority is a whole different issue and not related to age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Everyone seems to think they are discriminated against in someway in the workplace.
Like others because they are. That is how they decide who will get a job. Discriminating by experience or lack of it, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Exactly on paper. I am in my 40's know that I have been discriminated, but can't prove it, because no one really can. I actually reached out to a recruiter I have worked with, and he said he knows companies that will not hire anyone over 35 for sales and he refused to say who. Now I could prob report him to EEOC, but then I burn a possible resource.
Pretty much everyone that has looked for a job over 40 and had trouble finding one knows this and officials will say it to you and let you know that it is almost impossible to prove. That is what is so funny that people believe if the law in that they cannot be discriminated against that they have "arrived".

Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,699,497 times
Many of the younger workers have the misconception that if they push out older workers, they can perform their job without the education or experience. They are the same ones who don't want seniors to have Social Security or Medicare but don't mess with their inheritance.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,368,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It is - those 40 and older are protected as far as employment discrimination. Well, on paper they are.
Then why are employers allowed to actually advertise jobs as "2013 graduates wanted as applicants" for a position? The exact wording in an ad I saw posted today is "seeks recent college graduates (2013) for full time openings." That's certainly not an employer looking to fairly include the 40 and older crowd as candidates for employment.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,527,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then why are employers allowed to actually advertise jobs as "2013 graduates wanted as applicants" for a position? The exact wording in an ad I saw posted today is "seeks recent college graduates (2013) for full time openings." That's certainly not an employer looking to fairly include the 40 and older crowd as candidates for employment.
The truth............is because American is run by Corporations not you and I. And they have deep pockets for lobbyists and legal staff you and I will never have. Off topic but very true IMO.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,771,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Tell me what you think.
It is for those 40 and over.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,551,436 times
Quote:
They are not "allowed". This appears to be a violation of federal law.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,233,168 times
Quote:
Where did you see thi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment