Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM

79 posts, read 225,934 times

Advertisements

I started wondering if there is some reason the staffing agency is only calling about long-term temp opportunities. Is it because they are worried I am on unemployment? And that their unemployment fund might be charged if they send me out on a day job? I am not sure how that works. But I do find it odd that every single offer (to interview -- even the temp jobs are competitive now) is for long-term temp jobs. No offers whatsoever to work for a day or two here and there which I really need to be doing at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
No, you don't. Every single job even if it's for 15 minutes results in a separation issue and needs adjudication. You go down this path and you won't see a check for years because just when the UI people are about to release payment, you'll be back in adjudications. Temp work is NO place for a person on unemployment. You take those kind of jobs when your benefits run out and have no choice in where your next paycheck is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hols36 View Post
No offers whatsoever to work for a day or two here and there which I really need to be doing at this point.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 AM

79 posts, read 225,934 times
@chyvan: yes, i have exhausted benefits so i will take anything, including day jobs. but i am not being offered day jobs (say one day as a receptionist), only 3 to 4 to 6 months assignments. those are the only jobs i am even being considered for, it seems to me. and calls about those jobs are few and far between, and when i do get a call, it's for an interview, not for outright work. as i said, even temp work is being handled as if it's a 'real job' with sometimes more than one interview, etc. so that's different than the way it used to be. companies are being very selective, even with who they hire as temps.

@btoddd: thanks, and yes, i am aware of the trend toward firms hiring temps and contractors. my question related more to whether a staffing agency incurs some risk of someone filing an unemployment claim after having been given just a day or two worth of work (so therefore they would be less likely to make those kinds of short-term job offers if they thought that candidate was 'high risk' for filing for unemployment).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment