Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times

Advertisements

Well, not really, but since every post headline seems to be totally polarizing, I thought what the heck!

Now, we consistently read about how each open position gets hundreds of applicants, there are no low wage jobs, entry level positions don't exist... yada, yada, yada... Here's some very direct, personal, experience that flies int he face of that sob story.

Roughly twice per year, I tend to have a "hiring wave". The busy season in my business is Jan-May, and since most of the jobs are commission based, everyone seems to hang around for the good times, then cull off when the first slowdowns hit, so I have a wave of about 5-7% of the workforce in July, then another wave around Nov-Dec to ramp up staff for the busy season.

Generally speaking, I average about 20-25 applicants per job posting - targeting specifically entry-level, minimal experience, personality over education/training (I'd prefer raw material to train myself). Compensation is clearly laid out. That said, it's a low base + commission job, so that does scare people away a little - avg first year income is still mid-30's, with 50's likely by year 3, so it's not a total "low wage job", just low at first. So we have decent wage, training provided, no education/experience requirements = about 20-25 applicants (normally).

November, I posted 5 positions. Grand TOTAL of 35 applicants. Last week, posted another 7 jobs. To date? 5 applicants! Total!

Getting tough out there for employers. Talent pool is thinning out quite a bit - either that, or I'm missing some source of advertising these positions (using Craigslist, local paper online job board, etc.)

So, moral of the story, IMO:

For those of you out there, don't be afraid to try a random industry - there's employers out there that are having a hard time finding people with the right skill set.

-and-

I need to step up recruiting efforts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
If a person lowers his standards low enough, anything is possible.
I wonder what the unemployment rate for illegal aliens picking strawberries for $5 an hour is.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
Nowadays with what jobs pay it's just easier to sit home on welfare/unemployment.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:20 AM

36 posts, read 103,659 times
Unfortunately, it is very hard now and days to trust sales jobs due to MLM's advertising their crap so aggressively all over the place looking for "entry level" people.

Got burned a few times too many by these positions, so much so, I don't even look at sales jobs at all anymore.
Surely, I am not the only one.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandyrod View Post
Unfortunately, it is very hard now and days to trust sales jobs due to MLM's advertising their crap so aggressively all over the place looking for "entry level" people.

Got burned a few times too many by these positions, so much so, I don't even look at sales jobs at all anymore.
Surely, I am not the only one.
I suspect that's one big reason, but I've been battling through that for years. It's also a big reason why I put the name of my company, the website, everything, in the job description. But if people are ignoring the whole category, well, they probably wouldn't enjoy a sales career anyway!

Maybe I'll put "Absolutely not a MLM company" in the next round of Craigslist ads.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 AM

123 posts, read 192,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
If a person lowers his standards low enough, anything is possible.
I wonder what the unemployment rate for illegal aliens picking strawberries for $5 an hour is.
The question is how low do you lower your standards? People still need to make a livable wage and last time I checked the United States isn't a third world country. People working for $5.00 an hour isn't good for the economy (income disparity).

Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
There are definitely jobs out there, and I agree that there are people unwilling to take entry level work because they want more money... (which it's like HELLO take the job and continue looking, gain the experience, and make SOME money in the meantime!)

But I think it's still pretty prevalent that more jobs want more experience and to pay very little.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by super karate man View Post
The question is how low do you lower your standards? People still need to make a livable wage and last time I checked the United States isn't a third world country. People working for $5.00 an hour isn't good for the economy (income disparity).
It's a supply/demand/wage model. The higher the demand for your services, the higher your wage will be. If you don't have a service that is in high demand, then you will have a low wage. The guys picking strawberries are in high supply so the wages are low.

A person demanding a high wage would have to be in high demand or low supply. Otherwise, he'd have to "lower his standards" and accept the low wage.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 AM

123 posts, read 192,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
There are definitely jobs out there, and I agree that there are people unwilling to take entry level work because they want more money... (which it's like HELLO take the job and continue looking, gain the experience, and make SOME money in the meantime!)

But I think it's still pretty prevalent that more jobs want more experience and to pay very little.

Regarding jobs being out there, are you talking in general or in specific regions/cities (were I am, the economy sucks). I agree some people are unwilling to take lower paying jobs, however some employers are unwilling to higher individuals with extensive experience/credentials (grossly overqualified) because as soon as something else presents itself, the underemployed employee will probably leave.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:21 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
That said, it's a low base + commission job, so that does scare people away a little - avg first year income is still mid-30's, with 50's likely by year 3, so it's not a total "low wage job", just low at first. So we have decent wage, training provided, no education/experience requirements = about 20-25 applicants (normally).
If you're calculating average first year income, are you including those who don't make it that whole year. That is, is the average person you hire making in the mid-30's or are there a whole bunch of people who are making nothing and quit and those who are left are making a decent wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment