Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:31 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,551 times

Advertisements

I could see calling someone's emergency contacts if they were a no-call, no-show for several days, or if something happened to them at work, but what your husbands boss did was very inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

My husband is starting a different job in August...he's actually about to give notice at the current job. He's been kind of on the fence about taking the new job even though it's more money, less hours, and a more comfortable work environment, but I think now he's ready to leave the old job with fewer regrets than he would have had otherwise.
There you go - problem solved. This incident isn't common at all and it's a shame that it happened. Hope your husband settles in well to his new job.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:09 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
Without more info how can anyone know the boss or your husband is right. I 25 years of staff I once called someone at the emergency number for work.

Why, he corrupted a file with 40 hours of work on it that client needed. He turned off his cell phone and was not answering email. So I called him at home finally at 10pm. He was a good guy so he hopped in car and drove back to city and fixed file.

Also what was your husband doing? I was called in on days off in tight situations. My old bosses knew not to do on a honey moon or wife having a baby. Was your husband just sitting on coach drinking a beer, if so what was big deal.

I mean Work comes first. Unless there is something important at home. Plopping on the coach and relaxing while work is short staffed and folks need you is not a sign of a good worker.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Lesson is to take your parents off the EC list. Its hard to remember to update things. You can always list your local district representative as an ER contact if you really have no one! Or, some far off cuz.

Example: My sister died several years ago and still had her deceased husband listed as beneficiary on her 401K. So, in the midst of grieving, we as a family had to decipher her real desires. Fortunately on a "girl's road trip" she had shared with me that in case of her death she wanted her former husband's kids (her stepkids) to get her money. But probate law actually gave everything to our mother who for once actually did the right thing.

Some companies are pretty good about reminding employees at open enrollment time to update everything....others not.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Quote:
They insisted he had to have two different emergency contacts, I was one and he needed to have a second one before he could start working there, so we put my parents down as the second.

One reason they want more than one is that when they have an employee steal money, they send an investigator out to make the employee return the money. So they want to have several places to look for someone.

That kind of reasononing is spurious at best.

Have him put down his boss' cell phone number as his second emergency contact.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Without more info how can anyone know the boss or your husband is right. I 25 years of staff I once called someone at the emergency number for work.

Why, he corrupted a file with 40 hours of work on it that client needed. He turned off his cell phone and was not answering email. So I called him at home finally at 10pm. He was a good guy so he hopped in car and drove back to city and fixed file.

Also what was your husband doing? I was called in on days off in tight situations. My old bosses knew not to do on a honey moon or wife having a baby. Was your husband just sitting on coach drinking a beer, if so what was big deal.

I mean Work comes first. Unless there is something important at home. Plopping on the coach and relaxing while work is short staffed and folks need you is not a sign of a good worker.
Work does not come first when someone is scheduled off.

It appears those decades of staffing left you with a jaded impression. If someone screwed something up at work, it may make sense to call them. Using emergency contacts to reach someone because you want them to pick up a shift is reprehensible.

The man had the day off, it was his day, and it did not belong to the manager.

You summed it all up with your view that work is more important than family. Doing whatever he **** well pleases when he has the day off is the sign of a fine human being.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Talking Blessing in disguise

Quote:
My husband has spent the day furious at his boss. He thought the emergency contact list he had to fill out was in case something happened to him, not a way to call him if he has his phone ringer turned off.
Quote:
He's been kind of on the fence about taking the new job even though it's more money, less hours, and a more comfortable work environment, but I think now he's ready to leave the old job with fewer regrets than he would have had otherwise.
Good luck to your husband in his new job!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I could see calling someone's emergency contacts if they were a no-call, no-show for several days, or if something happened to them at work, but what your husbands boss did was very inappropriate.
I agree. Emergency numbers are for emergencies. Susie fell off a ladder onto her head and is going by ambulance to the hospital or Johnnie hasn't come to work, or called in sick, for two days and maybe he is laying on the floor at home in a coma, or things of that nature. I would be furious if my boss used my emergency numbers to call me in to work on my day off.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,297 times
Quote:
Today my husband was scheduled off. He turned off the ringer on his phone, which he always does on his day off. His boss called my parents and then my cell phone, claiming that he was a no call, no show. He woke all of us up. My father has dementia and he thought my husband was missing and was very difficult to calm down. When my husband called back, the boss told him he was scheduled to work that day and that he had to come in. My husband told him that he was scheduled off and that he's never been a no call, no show. The boss put the phone down for a couple of minutes, then came back and complained that one of his emergency contact numbers went to someone who made no sense at all (my father, who didn't have dementia years ago when hubby filled out the sheet). My husband asked if he had checked the schedule, and he said yes, that my husband was not on it.

My husband talked to coworkers, and they said that the boss knew he was scheduled off, but they were short one person so he decided to call and see if he could get him to come in. My husband always refuses to come in on his day off, because they'll cut hours another day to make sure he doesn't have any "premium overtime" which is time over 60 hours...they pay the first 60 hours at straight pay. There's a legal loophole which they use to get away with not paying time and a half for the first 20 hours of OT. My husband works 50 or 55 hours most weeks.

My husband has spent the day furious at his boss. He thought the emergency contact list he had to fill out was in case something happened to him, not a way to call him if he has his phone ringer turned off. I'm just glad he didn't have his mother listed on it, because she's even older than my parents and more prone to worrying, and my husband works a job that she thinks is very dangerous.

I don't even know what to tell him. I really think his boss was way out of line on this one.
Gosh I think so as well. That seems crazy to me.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Be careful of those "emergency contact numbers".

I used to think they were for true emergencies, like, Tommy fell off the swing, is on his way to the hospital, or your husband had an allergic reaction to the dental anesthesia and we're taking him to the emergency, stuff like that.

Be aware, many places will call any and all numbers you indicated, blabbing all your business to whoever answers the phone! Like the OP, getting the other party all confused and upset for no good reason. When my kids first started kindergarten I put down every phone number we had, work, home, neighbor's, relatives, etc, because I actually thought they would use it for emergencies. Instead, we had school calling our next-door neighbor and dh boss because the kids forgot their homework!

I also have a peeve with dentists. Any number you give, they call. Over and over. They don't like to lose money, so they want all their appointments booked. They call you to remind you your cleaning is due (like you owe it to them to come in, and bring your insurance card). Ok, now our insurance pays for 3 cleanings/year, X 4 family members, that's 12 cleaning appts/year. They call at least 2-4 times per person, or until you give in and make the appt. so, there's about 48 calls/year just to schedule the appt! Then, they call to remind you of your scheduled appt---another 12-48 calls/year! Then, they call to tell you your insurance didn't pay, so please send in----$$$$! I was about to have a nervous breakdown with the D**ned dentist! So, when we moved, I put our old phone number down---hee hee, now they can call all they want!

Or, be especially careful about what phone numbers you give to a doctor. I once gave my work number, came back from lunch and found half a dozen notes on my desk that my pregnancy test was negative. Hey, that was something I really didn't want the whole office to know!

Just put down an email or twitter for notification, and if they insist on a phone number, put down an old one that's disconnected!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment