Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM

154 posts, read 209,581 times

Advertisements

I, too, am aspiring to become a pharmacist and a lot of the questions really helped me. Thank you all.

But when I see "5 years" or "6 years", are we talking about the prerequisites+program or just the program itself? I have taken 3 years of pre-reqs with 1 1/2 years ago to finish them (done all my maths, not as hard as you think ), and if I have another 5-6 years ON TOP, I'm just gonna forget it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,131,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylightMike231 View Post
I, too, am aspiring to ecome a pharmacist and a lot of the questions really helped me. Thank you all.

But when I see "5 years" or "6 years", are we talking about the prerequisites+program or just the program itself? I have taken 3 years of pre-reqs with 1 1/2 years ago to finish them (done all my maths, not as hard as you think ), and if I have another 5-6 years ON TOP, I'm just gonna forget it!
You've taken 3 years of prereqs for pharmacy school and you don't know how long it is?

It's 4 years from when you transfer in.

You can transfer in as a bachelors degree holder or as a junior standing student, assuming you have all of the prereqs.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Yeah, I don't know either. I guess I get it all mixed up with the hearsay and what different universities say how long it is. Even on some of their websites they don't say how long it is (unless I'm looking in the wrong page/section).

So what is the difference between transferring as a bachelors degree holder and junior student? Because with all my pre-reqs I can only get an Associates.

Or even, how long does it take TO transfer in, because I'm taking only the necessary classes and it feels like it's taking longer than normal.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,131,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylightMike231 View Post
Yeah, I don't know either. I guess I get it all mixed up with the hearsay and what different universities say how long it is. Even on some of their websites they don't say how long it is (unless I'm looking in the wrong page/section).

So what is the difference between transferring as a bachelors degree holder and junior student? Because with all my pre-reqs I can only get an Associates.

Or even, how long does it take TO transfer in, because I'm taking only the necessary classes and it feels like it's taking longer than normal.
You can transfer in with an Associates or Bachelors as long as you meet the prereqs. Here are the prereqs for Rutgers...

http://pharmacy.rutgers.edu/files/Ad...Students_0.pdf

That is a better school. If you apply to other schools, it is not that competitive. Some pharmacy schools have a mean GPA of around 3.0.

Appalachian College of Pharmacy

You see. That school was started in 2006 and others are popping up every month. That is the fear. That all of these schools will pop up out of nowhere, accredit anyone who will pay, and then the field will be watered down just like Law has become. The salaries will go down and the available jobs/PharmD ratio will plummet. BTW, that school only takes 3 years.

But as of now, I think things are still decent.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM

Wow, thanks for all that! Where did you get all this info? I'd like to watch the job market and see which jobs are hot and which ones are getting cold, but I don't know where to find the source of information.

That was I fear that I was thinking about. In fact, I saw a documentary that said how pharmacy schools were sending out a demand for pharmacists back in 2008 but it's not true anymore, but that they are trying to keep that appearance in order to earn more money...

But I'm seeing that if you want a job these days, you're gonna have to make one yourself. That's why I'm thinking of starting my own business as a back-up plan in the back of my mind as I try to trudge through pharmacy school.

But that job is my go-to, I can't really think of a degree you can earn in college that you can graduate with and get a job with respectable pay other than pharmacy and nursing.

By the way, do you know the average length of pre-reqs it takes to complete for pharmacy? I've heard from 2-3 years.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 AM

808 posts, read 1,881,630 times
The golden days are over and have been for a long time, but that doesn't mean we don't still have it good. I graduated from Pharmacy school in 2012 and not a single classmate I know of is unemployed. People who say 'no jobs' are people who took the good years for granted and thought the days of being able to get 70 hrs/week of work in their choice of location would last forever. No, nobody gets a BMW as a signing bonus anymore and yes a lot of us had to work in places like Bakersfield and Stockton instead of LA/SF, but that's still a helluva lot better than what 95% of new grads are going through.

Don't worry too much about being bad at math. It's biology and chemistry you need to have a strong grasp of to succeed in pharmacy school. Even then, pharmacy school is hard work but nothing about it is so difficult that hard work couldn't get you through.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,021,187 times
Seek advice from a career counselor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isanewday View Post
So most of my life I've wanted to become a pharmacist, but now I'm kinda scared because apparently there are no jobs!

It would suck to go through more than 5 years of study and still not have a job. I'm going to be a senior this year, so I really need to make up my mind fast too.

I guess why I'm also on the fence is because I'm not that good at math either, so the career would be a little more difficult for me and I don't want to go through all that without any outcome, you know?

Apparently, the whole "baby boomers" theory is just a thing that colleges are saying to get more students as well.

So basically, is it worth it? If not, what do you think are the more "in demand" jobs?

Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,021,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you're not good at math, it'll be tough to get into Pharmacy school.

It's not like getting into medical school, but you'll still need to get Bs in Calc and Physics.

Just work at it and you'll be fine.

And don't forget chemistry beyond just basic chemistry.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 AM

210 posts, read 383,529 times
Pharmacists do so much more than dispense drugs in a retail pharmacy. You can work in hospitals, health clinics, and there are many, many different jobs you can do in pharmaceutical companies, whether in R&D or on the marketed product side.

If you can get through the program (math and memorization) and are flexible in what you will do and where you live, you will find a job. I recommned that you intern in a pharmacy while studying to help you see if you even like doing retail work....

Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 AM

303 posts, read 596,228 times
There are plenty of Pharmacist jobs out there. I work for one of the biggest Trade Associations for chain pharmacies and we have a very strong Foundation arm that both gives grants and provides internships.

It would probably help if you're flexible in living location, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment