Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times

Advertisements

Love it? Hate it?

Would you prefer to have your accrued sick leave separate from your accrued vacation leave, or one "bank" of leave days that can roll over each year?

Looking for opinions please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Totally love it! I hate the old concept of "sick days" personal days" "vacation days." It rewards cheaters who call out sick even when they aren't to use up those sick days, as opposed to PTO where you can schedult your time off in advance--more convenient for everyone. It also is very beneficial if you end up really sick with something like pnuemonia where you often need more than five sick days to recover.

At my current job I'm salaried and considered a member of management. So I have no PTO, I just work when I need to and take off time when I want to as long as I get my work done--and get the same paycheck every week regardless. In all honesty I probably take less time than the employees that get PTO.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Love it too. Makes way more sense. If you want to take a day off, take it, no need to explain.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
As long as your boss isn't a complete douche, I love the system of sick days and vacation days. My sick time rolls over year after year (13 days a year) so you can accumulate as many hours as you want in case of extended illness. I know some people who have over 3000 hours! The vacation days I get 19 a year in my leave group, we can use those forever me want.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,085 times
Right now I get 10 vacation days, but unlimited sick time. If they were to give me PTO instead I would be fine with it, as long as there were additional days tacked onto my 10 vaction days. Say 16 total PTO days per year. That way I could use them as vacation days. I rarely take sick days so having unlimited doesn't really matter to me. I don't have the heart to call in when I am not sick.

I would be happy having roll over as well. Currently I lose anything I don't take.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
The company I work for gives us 32 hours per year for "Personal Time Off." We can use them in 1 hour increments and that's a great benefit to have for Dr's appointments, dentist, and traffic jams.

I save 'em for those unforeseen events though. We can't roll unused time for the next year, so we get a lot of absenteeism in December.

So, e.g., if I know that I'm going to the doctor I schedule a half day vacation (we can use vacay time in 4 hour increments), but if I have a toothache I'll use personal time.

Love it.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
I think there are some real risks with moving to a combined time off system. People who are responsible and use sick time sparingly will most likely continue to do so, whereas people who abuse their sick time are likely to use up all of their CTO. At my work place, whenever it's been discussed, people have assumed that they would get in CTO the total of what they now get for sick and vacation time, which is not the case. In general, it would be fewer than the total of sick plus vacation.

Our current system works well for me. I rarely take all my allotted vacation time, so I carry over a week or two each year. I hardly use any sick time, so I have about 1600 hours of sick time accumulated, which will be handy if I'm lucky enough to be run over by a bus or something.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I like the concept of simple PTO, but everywhere I've worked that had it gave less PTO than the sick/personal/vacation companies.

The company I'm with now allows me to roll over my sick days, which is a first. They just don't pay it out if I leave the company. Vacation days they do.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,024 times
I like PTO. Most places give you enough PTO hours that should way more than cover how much time you would take off for being sick or on vacation. Plus where I work you can buy more days and if you don't use them by the end of the year, you can sell them back (This works great for Christmas)

Old 01-07-2010, 02:44 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,902,569 times
I love PTO. No one asking why you were gone or demanding proof for why you were gone, no one validating your reasons or your judgement. Plus, when you leave the job, all of the unused hours are paid off, whereas with sick/vacation time, they only give you the vacation time, and keep the sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment