Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 PM

547 posts, read 939,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well, let's say that a lot of people were disappointed with my choice, especially my parents (both of who have degrees). To this day, she believes I could have been "so much more." But at the end of the day, I am happy. I have all that really matters to me. I have two girls who think the world of me. And I am VERY grateful for everything.
It's okay. I have a bachelors degree in history for over 8 years now and I still haven't had a job that required a bachelors degree or haven't made 30,000 dollars yet.

If you've made it this far without a bachelors degree, you're doing better than me.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:00 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
It's okay. I have a bachelors degree in history for over 8 years now and I still haven't had a job that required a bachelors degree or haven't made 30,000 dollars yet.

If you've made it this far without a bachelors degree, you're doing better than me.
That's you, I have though and I have the same education. I don't live in a big city either.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 PM

43 posts, read 51,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I don't.

I am in senior admininstration at a college, and I make close to $100k/year.

I am topped out without getting my degree though, so will be going back to finish. Yes, I do regret no getting it, but not too badkt as I have done ok for myself. At this point it will be for the sense of accomplishment and the possibility of advancement.
Where are you? What state? I am just curious how you were able to get into a college without a degree, even admin, because the college I am at requires a min 4 year degree. Seems pretty standard across the board too, at least here in Fla

Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 PM

43 posts, read 51,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
So far...

The median salary of high school graduates = $73,500 a year

The average salary of high school graduates = $66,666 a year

I guess all of with degrees are idiots after all. Especially those who got more than one.
ditto here on the two degrees, not to mention multiple certifications and I am not making as much as a high school grad according to the numbers given on this thread. So yeah, I guess I am a big idiot for going to college...or perhaps the numbers are not accurate maybe there is a little "stretching" going on here (me thinks)

Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
This is my experience....

I went to college for about a year, got pregnant and then realized that I would have to work full time to support my child since I was a single parent (Bye Bye college). Within a few short years I had a career paying me EXACTLY what one of my brothers with an engineering degree was being paid (a little over 30K but this was about 30 years ago)....he was pissed!!!

Throughout the years I worked my butt off and was promoted numerous times. My last job (retired now) I was making about $80k/yr and that was 8 years ago. Not too bad....BUT I was always reminded that I didn't have a degree and therefore would not make as much as someone else WITH a degree. I also worked in the tech industry so being a female I ran into my share of Directors/Managers that felt that a man should earn more than their female co-workers.

So what happened to my brother (and the rest of my brothers that all have Masters or PhD's)....they were FAR more successful than I could have ever been.

So moral of MY story is that yes....you might INITIALLY make as much as someone with a degree...but the person with the degree will keep advancing and advancing and unfortunately at some point you will most likely reach your cap!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
No degree here.

Most I've made is well over 100K in a year for several years as a dancer.

Least I've made is $12 hour doing Admin Assistant

Even waitressing I was making $700-$900 a week cash.

I'd like to go to cooking school but not to work in a restaurant. Maybe be a private chef or catering..

Stripper?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat70 View Post
Where are you? What state? I am just curious how you were able to get into a college without a degree, even admin, because the college I am at requires a min 4 year degree. Seems pretty standard across the board too, at least here in Fla

I have done this in a couple of different states.

My path is not typical. I have a couple of non-degree certifications and have written and published several papers that have gained some measure of respect. Pretty niche stuff though, think of it as big fish in small pond. Addressing an earlier poster, I am older as well, with a ton of experience. When meeting min quals, I get an exemption for experience substituting for education, certifications and relatively unique accomplishments.

I would really not recommend my particular path as a wise or easy way to do things. I strongly suspect/know that I would have been more successful with a degree.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 PM

452 posts, read 709,831 times
Good for you, riaelise! You, like I, understand that money is only a means to an end. What's important is the fullness of our lives, not being the fastest rat!

What the perpetually unfulfilled don't realize is...He who has the most is he who needs the least

Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Did it matter what the bachelor's was in?
at my current job? no.

it did for some of the jobs i was looking at that i was otherwise qualified for.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 5,737 times
I don't have a degree either, I am planning to take degree online. I don't have the option to sit in a classroom.

I am in the medical field. I have certifications in the Medical Billing/Coding field.
Can't wait to go back to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment