Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times

Advertisements

Emigrations,

It surprised me recently, when I was visiting the plains area. We had problems staffing IT in the plains area, not in Iowa. The market rate of the IT guys were higher than the AVPs hiring them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:17 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
Yeah, I am currently working on my degree. What will be a good entry point? My focus will be security, but I will take a couple of programming classes so that way, I can have a back up.
what is this security stuff? snowden's job/salary/job in Hawaii?

Old 08-14-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
I would eventually like to end up working as a DBA. Right now, I have a chance to roll into an internship for a small company doing PC repair. I'm hoping that if I do get the internship that once it's over, I can roll into an entry level position doing database or software tech support. Think this is a good way to go?

That seem like a really low target. no bachelors degree?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 AM

209 posts, read 292,510 times
One course shy of a BS CIS. I'll be taking that course this fall. I do have an unrelated BS in Industrial Technology as well. What I'm seeing is that most help desk/PC repair jobs are requiring a BS now, at least, in my area of the country.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
One course shy of a BS CIS. I'll be taking that course this fall. I do have an unrelated BS in Industrial Technology as well. What I'm seeing is that most help desk/PC repair jobs are requiring a BS now, at least, in my area of the country.
If you want go be a DBA, it would easier go through SQL reporting route than call center/pc repair path.

Desktop repair is related to hardware not database administration. As a DBA, you will be using SQL every day.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 PM

104 posts, read 134,026 times
I kinda find it difficult to choose what career path i should take. I have always been interested in computers, building my gaming rig and troubleshooting. I graduated with a degree in BS electronics engineering and the course itself is way broad that I am to go crazy which specialization to choose. Though I had my interests in hardware(with computer concentration), network, test, software (least)

As a software engineer/programmer, you have to learn a lot of languages right? I have also done programming in college, I can do it but writing long codes makes it the least of my interests

For a network engineer, certifications (recertifying, too expensive exam costs) makes me doubt if I should pursue this career. Though I enjoyed cisco in college with the cli and stuff and considering that most companies need them like maintaining their networks.

I don't know about jobs in hardware. Does it involve design? test?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 PM

Try not to be duped by the titles. Network 'Engineer', please. Way too many fell for that already. I also do not think much about DBAs. A while ago they ruled like t-rexs but these days they've been tamed - theyve already caused way too much project delays in the past 'weighing in' with their drama, sitting pretty most of the time and when problems come up they just call (oracle) DB consultants. In big corporations theyre now just support/infrastructure roles.
DBAs don't really touch SQL everyday. DBMaintenance software are plenty and many are free. Some DBAs in the past actually stopped line programmers from getting these tools because we're getting 'too powerful'. These days we have full dbo access, dbas just release our code. Theyre basically told to STHU and give project development what need asap. They service problem tickets now too. dang
These DBMaintenance tools became the doom of their careers. Like push technology and LiveUpdates, desktop support work is now done remotely and they have the interface software. DBMaintenance tool are interfaces too that made dba functions 'too easy' a caveman can do it so to speak.Thats what interfaces do, in the end that human resource function goes away or handed down from an expert role to support level

Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharken View Post
I kinda find it difficult to choose what career path i should take. I have always been interested in computers, building my gaming rig and troubleshooting. I graduated with a degree in BS electronics engineering and the course itself is way broad that I am to go crazy which specialization to choose. Though I had my interests in hardware(with computer concentration), network, test, software (least)

As a software engineer/programmer, you have to learn a lot of languages right? I have also done programming in college, I can do it but writing long codes makes it the least of my interests

For a network engineer, certifications (recertifying, too expensive exam costs) makes me doubt if I should pursue this career. Though I enjoyed cisco in college with the cli and stuff and considering that most companies need them like maintaining their networks.

I don't know about jobs in hardware. Does it involve design? test?
Most people's career are determined by their 1st few jobs. It also depends which businesses are in your area. Land the first one and steer your career from there. I do suggest taking on coding more.
I too have a BS in electronics and communications engineering, we took up subjects on landing planes automatically(not feasible tho) so I wanted to be an air traffic controller initially. I was too driven to get to the US so I decided to be a programmer. I tried telephony, that sucked. Tried semiconductor manufacturing, that sucked. I started with POS (point-of-sale) systems. Originally theyre the systems in fastfood cashregisters - it handles cash, ordering, process flow, inventory, restocking etc. its software and hardware/networking, etc. Same systems works for hotels/hospitals. Other types are handheld like what the UPS guys carry, or those terminals for nurses aides. I think theyre going to be around for a while, even with the powerful phones/tablets. Look into that. don't be another network 'engineer'

Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 PM

104 posts, read 134,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Most people's career are determined by their 1st few jobs. It also depends which businesses are in your area. Land the first one and steer your career from there. I do suggest taking on coding more.
I too have a BS in electronics and communications engineering, we took up subjects on landing planes automatically(not feasible tho) so I wanted to be an air traffic controller initially. I was too driven to get to the US so I decided to be a programmer. I tried telephony, that sucked. Tried semiconductor manufacturing, that sucked. I started with POS (point-of-sale) systems. Originally theyre the systems in fastfood cashregisters - it handles cash, ordering, process flow, inventory, restocking etc. its software and hardware/networking, etc. Same systems works for hotels/hospitals. Other types are handheld like what the UPS guys carry, or those terminals for nurses aides. I think theyre going to be around for a while, even with the powerful phones/tablets. Look into that. don't be another network 'engineer'
yeah that's why finding my first job is very critical. To tell you, I came from an Asian country and I just migrated to the US so chances for landing that first job is really low. The reason why I considered network engineering is that IT is global. My point is the networks (devices like cisco, juniper, etc.) are being used by most countries all over the world. At first, I thought of finding a telecommunications job(data networks concentrated) but networking and telecoms overlap at many things and the latter is very broad. So landing a networking job allows me to study a part of telecoms (more like a stepping stone).

I really did not enjoy telephony too , though knowing its operation is kinda cool. Are you still working on POS systems? What skill set should I possess for this kind of work? An integration of software, hardware, and networking is a good line of work. What other jobs do this?

By the way I live in Bakersfield so tech job opportunities are kinda low compared to those in the bay area. I wouldn't consider jumping cities since my family is here.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharken View Post
yeah that's why finding my first job is very critical. To tell you, I came from an Asian country and I just migrated to the US so chances for landing that first job is really low. The reason why I considered network engineering is that IT is global. My point is the networks (devices like cisco, juniper, etc.) are being used by most countries all over the world. At first, I thought of finding a telecommunications job(data networks concentrated) but networking and telecoms overlap at many things and the latter is very broad. So landing a networking job allows me to study a part of telecoms (more like a stepping stone).

I really did not enjoy telephony too , though knowing its operation is kinda cool. Are you still working on POS systems? What skill set should I possess for this kind of work? An integration of software, hardware, and networking is a good line of work. What other jobs do this?

By the way I live in Bakersfield so tech job opportunities are kinda low compared to those in the bay area. I wouldn't consider jumping cities since my family is here.
Whats in Bakersfield? Looks like that's what you need to be asking yourself then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment