Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 12:29 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,926,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Yeah if you're a single mom with like 10 kids. If you're a single white male you don't get squat. Conservatives like to make welfare seem more lucrative than it is.
There is this white woman who is an acquabtance of mine and has aspergers and has a free section 8 apartment and ssi. She is single. But she can't drive

Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is how they are enabling you. You constantly use your "disabilities" as an excuse. Know that many parents feel responsible for their child's disabilities and try to "make up" for that. When you don't have an income, you don't go out to lunch and buy goodies at the mall or at least most adults do not do this.

I agree with your mom's friends about throwing you out of the house. There becomes a point with some kids where there has to be a "sink or swim" moment and you need yours. Every suggestion on how to move forward is blown off. Has this post been one to help you make a case for SSI disability? It just seems like it to me. Don't you get tired of making excuses and playing on the disability. You realize that 32 year old men/women who don't have a job, live with their parents, spend what little money they have on luxury items, well, not a lot of people looking for a spouse like that.

I realize you don't want to work for $8 or $10 an hour and I really have to wonder how much research you did before choosing your major in college. Also, I can't see how you could get a degree from a college with your disabilities being so severe that you can't keep a job. There are just a lot of things I don't understand.

Have you been to the job service and temp agencies. You could use that money you are spending for eating out and goodies for gas to drive there.
This thread is not troll.

More and more, this seems like a troll or a post for the mental health thread.

OP, can you volunteer? Use the money for goodies for the gas for that?

Also, my 27 year old son made $11.00 last month at the workshop and we paid $40.00 for the transportation to that job. And, the last thing people like my son need would be someone who looks at their disability as a reason that they cannot exceed. We have always looked at what our son could exceed in. To be successful, you have to have a positive "can do" attitude and we have it and have instilled that value in our child.

And, I thought the OP seemed envious of those having babies and married yet I believe he stated that he didn't like children in a post where someone had suggested teaching.

I went back picked up the post about the "fat" girlfriend. I diagnose the thread "troll". I'm out.
This thread is not troll. What should my parents do. They don't want me to be homeless.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM

265 posts, read 409,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
You can't. But if you stick to that $8-$10 an hour job, maybe you'll work your way up or develop some skills that you can parlay into a higher-paying job that will allow you to move out on your own. Of course, this would all have been better if you'd done it at the age of 22 instead of 32. Ten years wasted on excuses and self-pity has done you no good.

You don't necessarily have a right, nor do you necessarily deserve the middle class lifestyle you're trying to attain.

And why shouldn't you take a graveyard shift job if it's offered? You don't have a family whose life would be disrupted if you did, you have no other responsibilities, it seems like that would be a perfect way to gain experience and make yourself invaluable to a company.

Let me tell you a story: At the age of 26, after four years in graduate school pursuing a PhD, I realized that I didn't want to teach and that I was utterly miserable. I applied for a very special government program that I thought I got into, didn't renew the lease on my apartment, and made plans to move to DC for said government job. Three weeks before the move, I discovered I was an alternate and that there was no slot for me. So now, about to be homeless, jobless, and miserable in grad school, I moved back home with my parents. Rather than wallow in self-pity, I took a job way, way below my education and skill level (had a BA and MA at the time) as a data entry clerk making around $10 an hour on a 2nd shift (4-12). The job was boring as all get-out, but I worked hard and made myself invaluable to the organization. While working this job full time I began another Master's degree program. Within one year of moving home I'd found a job in the field of the new degree program. And a large part of the reason I got that new job is because when they called my current employer for a reference, I was able to get a glowing recommendation as a hard worker, someone not too proud or ashamed to do work that might be considered "below" me. So don't not apply or not take that job at McDonald's just because you think they're only appropriate for teenagers, they're not. They're for whoever gets hired and gets the job done.
The Op is probably a lost cause, or doesn't really want to change to the point he'd change his habits or upheave his life. At a certain point, people tend to get rooted in to whatever life they have chosen. Once you've gotten there, unless "it all works out" after effort sooner instead of later, the average person tends to just give-up, or accept their circumstances. This is simply human nature; if you don't have a fundamental reason you yourself have decided on to change wtv, you won't. You might fail to change regardless, but if your mind is already set, you're just Doctor Gregarory House.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on your story in general. It's nice and everything. COngrats. But it's only nice because you got a job in your field after taking something way below your education/skill level. Try not having landed that in-field job after working an equal or longer time in something 'boring', despite having consistent volunteer/intern work. The story isn't sunshine anymore.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:32 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Retail isn't a career.
Retail IS a career. Maybe not the right one for you, but it IS a career.

Quote:
My therapist told me as my parents as well that I should look for a government job in city,county,federal or state. A non profit agency is another option.

These organizations seem more accepting of disabled people than the private sector
Good, now that you know you want/need a government job or a job with a non profit organization, what are your next steps? What are you going to do to get one of those jobs?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Here are some websites that focus on employment for people with disabilities:

GettingHired - Jobs for Disabled - Home
Hire Disability Solutions - Job Seekers
Jobs and Resumes for People with Disabilities
http://askjan.org/index.html

Old 08-03-2013, 12:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Quote:
I do go into interviews forgetting about my disability. I do the best I can.

I'm going to apply for city government jobs.

There is no department of labor that is able to place me in a job. I tried california rehab with no luck
I'm curious why Rehab wasn't able to help you? What happened with them?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Some things about this whole story don't seem to add up. The OP claims that he's got Asperger's Syndrome, but has he actually received a medical diagnosis for that??? There are some people who simply THINK that they have Asperger's but have never been diagnosed with it.

Also, he claims that his father is a doctor, but then why does the OP drive a 14 year old car? A car that old probably doesn't run too well. Also, the only job the OP was able to find in the recent past was bagging groceries 30 MILES AWAY from his home?

I think this guy probably has some other condition. He sounds somewhat mentally unbalanced.
A psychiatrist daignosed me with aspergers. That 14 year old Toyota was a high school graduation gift for me when I graduated high school in June 1999. It was a new car back then. Even though my dad is a doctor he doesn't think it's right to buy me a new car. The car is probably on its last leg.

Working at a job bagging groceries 30 miles away wasn't my choice. No one closer would hire me no matter how hard I tried. The area I had to drive to is an area that had no public transportation or affordable housing. So it weeded out the competition for that whole foods job.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'm curious why Rehab wasn't able to help you? What happened with them?
The state of California is broke. The rehab department employee didnt know what aspergers is. They said we don't know how to help you.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:40 PM

265 posts, read 409,647 times
Quote:
This thread is not troll. What should my parents do. They don't want me to be homeless.
If they have the money and you are good at math, maybe you could try air traffic controller training. I think it's about a 2-3 year intensive program if you get in, and some have placement after you graduate. I heard it can be very hard though. It's not the kind of job anyone can do, and you really need to have a certain aptitude in some areas to do it.

---
My Aspergers Child: Best and Worst Jobs for Aspergers Adults

Quote:
Countless studies show individuals would rather have pleasant and personable co-workers than a co-worker who is always right. One Aspie states, “I try to keep this in mind each day, and consequently, I spend a lot of time planning my interactions. But sometimes my plans fail.”

Jobs need to be chosen that make use of the strengths of individuals with Aspergers. Both high and low functioning individuals have very poor short-term working memory, but they often have a better long-term memory than most normal individuals. One Aspie states, “I have great difficulty with tasks that put high demands on short-term working memory. I cannot handle multiple tasks at the same time.”

Some job tips for individuals with Aspergers:

• The boss must recognize your social limitations.
• Sell your work, not your personality. Make a portfolio of your work.
• Jobs should have a well-defined goal or endpoint.

It is important that Aspergers individuals pick a college major in an area where they can get jobs. Computer science is a good choice because it is very likely that many of the best programmers have either Aspergers or some of its traits. Other good majors are: accounting, engineering, library science, and art with an emphasis on commercial art and drafting. Majors in history, political science, business, English or pure math should be avoided. However, one could major in library science with a minor in history, but the library science degree makes it easier to get a good job.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
The Op is probably a lost cause, or doesn't really want to change to the point he'd change his habits or upheave his life. At a certain point, people tend to get rooted in to whatever life they have chosen. Once you've gotten there, unless "it all works out" after effort sooner instead of later, the average person tends to just give-up, or accept their circumstances. This is simply human nature; if you don't have a fundamental reason you yourself have decided on to change wtv, you won't. You might fail to change regardless, but if your mind is already set, you're just Doctor Gregarory House.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on your story in general. It's nice and everything. COngrats. But it's only nice because you got a job in your field after taking something way below your education/skill level. Try not having landed that in-field job after working an equal or longer time in something 'boring', despite having consistent volunteer/intern work. The story isn't sunshine anymore.
I hope I'm not a lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment