Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times

Advertisements

I have several times, however, each time I was recruited by the new company. My home where I was living was purchased and sold by the company, and all moving expenses were covered.

Even in executive management, today, few companies pay for everything. I would secure a job first and then move, unless you have a lot of money put aside to live for at least 6 months. Moving without a job is a risky move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
I just did it for the first time about a year ago. I left Atlanta, a city I loved, to move to Oklahoma City, of all places. At the point I left, I really had no choice. I had started a business with a friend and was running out of money. I had been looking for a new job in Atlanta for 2 years. To complicate things more, I owned a house I was losing money on in Atlanta. Any job I took in another city had to pay me enough to make 2 housing payments. I had the opportunity to move to Charlotte, NC in January 2011, and turned it down because I didn't think what they were offering me was enough. In hindsight, I should have taken it. I'd be much happier in that city than I am here. But I'd be making less money Still, I blew it. This place is hell for me, despite liking my job and making good money. I want to leave and move back to Atlanta if I ever get the chance. I hope to be able to work remotely with my company and leave here one day.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,990 times
I too have been attempting the road of relocating by applying to jobs out of my area. It certainly isn't easy, though I didn't expect it to be. My current area is awful for jobs in my field. Without proper savings, moving without having a job first would be too much of a gamble. I do feel encouraged that I can manage at least 1-2 phone interviews per month with companies out of state, but I also realize I have 1 strike against me already before the interview even begins. I've picked a few areas I am willing and interested in moving to. And, most importantly, I just keep trying. I still apply locally because one more good position on the resume wouldn't hurt, but there isn't very much that pops up. I am hopeful that someday I can provide a success story here. Good luck, if you decide to go for it!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM

341 posts, read 675,160 times
Moved to NYC with no job or place to stay from CA.

Got hired in 2 weeks. Went great.

Huge risk- but in life, that's what it takes. No job or place to stay didn't stop my great grandfather from moving to NYC from Sicily.

Risk takers win in the game of life.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Default I sure have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellnowwhat View Post
The job market in my area isn't that great. Unemployment is still fairly high and it seems like there's a lot of competition in all areas. I've always had it in the back of my mind that it may not be a bad idea to move to an entirely different city if the job prospects are better and/or the cost of living is lower.

Has anyone ever done this and been successful? How did you go about doing it?
I kept the job I had, started saving up for the prospective move, and applying for jobs in the area I was interested in.

I was eventually hired for a four-month contracting gig and while I was there, I went to as many networking events as I could. I lived in a Value Place Studio while I looked for a place to stay more permanently. My husband stayed at home.

Eventually I got a permanent job, and rented a house so my husband & kids could come visit. In the long run I would up going back home because my husband got very ill and needed me there.

We are now working towards moving back. He grew up in that area and I have a lot of job opportunity there. We are paying off debts and I hope to get back there in a few years.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:40 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,249 times
I haven't relocated for a job yet, but I'm hoping I'll relocate for a job I interviewed with recently in the next couple of months. I think when it comes to relocating you need to take certain factors into consideration:

1. What are the job prospects of the area you're looking to relocate to? If you already have a job lined up that's obviously a huge advantage, but if your job prospects are the same or worse than where you are maybe it's best to either stay put or look elsewhere.
2. What is the cost of living and will you be able to make it on your salary? $50k a year will take you a lot farther in middle America than it will in San Francisco or New York.
3. Are you comfortable leaving family/friends behind? Some people are and some aren't so you'll need to think about how you'd react to be in a completely new area, especially if you're moving more than 2 hours away from your current location.
4. What's the climate like in the areas you're looking at? Climate is a huge factor that I think a lot of people brush off because their vision is so focused on getting there and getting the job, but if you're moving from, say, southern California to New England, the change in climate may be an unpleasant shock to you.

Is it possible to just up and move across the country or even the world and make a new life for yourself? Absolutely! People have been doing just that for thousands of years, including people in this very thread. I think you just need to be willing to take the risk, have an exit plan in case things don't work out, and do what makes you happy. Life is too short to be afraid of the unknown!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellnowwhat View Post
The job market in my area isn't that great. Unemployment is still fairly high and it seems like there's a lot of competition in all areas. I've always had it in the back of my mind that it may not be a bad idea to move to an entirely different city if the job prospects are better and/or the cost of living is lower.

Has anyone ever done this and been successful? How did you go about doing it?
I have done it a lot of times. But I will add that I did it when I was in my 20's and single. I moved from part of the country to another for the right job. It was a great way to work in multiple industries and in roles that you wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to work if you stayed with an employer or within an industry. I would actually recommend new graduates to do it, if they have the willingness to go through an accelerated learning experience in the first 3-5 years of their career.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM

37 posts, read 80,868 times
Yes, I moved back in 2007 for a job and I have no problem relocating again for a job.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,730,018 times
yes, I relocated from CA to Seattle.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:36 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Jacksonville to Seattle in early 2011.

Got an offer... Sold off the majority of my belongings and made a 5 day coast to coast move solo on $1000. I only brought what would fit in my car.

Here we are after 2 years... I'm doing great and love it here.

P. S.

If you are looking for work the Seattle metro area unemployment rate is 4.8-5.2%...back to pre-recession numbers. Might be worth checking out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment