Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,832 times

Advertisements

This is am employee I recently inherited thanks to a promotion I received. She was only making the salary and whined about being unappreciated so I created a bonus structure for her. She feels it isn't enough and was pouting away to me and my boss. I told her she's not getting more, end of story. Granted this is NYC, but don't move here if you aren't willing to struggle. In the end I told her that if she can find someone to pay her $50k a year at her age (24) that I will happily write her a reference. She is so unhappy! Frankly nothing she has done since reporting to me 3 weeks ago merits a raise (and I told her that straight up).

I want her gone. But for now, are there any 24 year old people here living in a major city? What do you earn? Especially if you studied art or some other easy degree. (Not industrial art, that is difficult).

Old 08-06-2013, 05:38 PM

326 posts, read 478,671 times
I'm a 24 year old that just graduated with my BS in Urban Planning this past May. I currently live in Phoenix, but I'd like to relocate to another city. I'm making $8.25 hr working in retail.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:44 PM

29,833 posts, read 24,922,073 times
I don't have a degree, and made about 50% more than she did at that age in a lower COL city. I would be willing to try a new field for 40K with no experience, although that would be tough in NYC. It never hurts to learn a new field though. Of course, jumping into a new role is nearly impossible these days since everyone demands a degree for washing dishes. At 26, with my current level of experience, I would consider 40K low, and a sign of a sinking ship. No way would I put up with the stress regardless.

The problem is, even if she is underpaid, she's addressing her issue in all the wrong ways. She is acting very immature. Businesses aren't just bottomless cash registers that can dole out cash on demand. Some do better and can offer better salaries and compensation packages. If you feel you are worth more, you seek an offer at one of these establishments. If you can't get better pay, you take what you can get.

She probably went to college thinking she was going to be making mucho dinero. Welcome to the real world

Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,382 times
What is the market rate for her job in NYC, with a general bachelors and 2 years experience? Are you underpaying her relative to the competition?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
What is the market rate for her job in NYC, with a general bachelors and 2 years experience? Are you underpaying her relative to the competition?
likely, and said employee's age should have zero effect on their pay which OP hinted at. Or expecting them to struggle, my guess is she has an ass for a boss.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post

I want her gone. But for now, are there any 24 year old people here living in a major city? What do you earn? Especially if you studied art or some other easy degree. (Not industrial art, that is difficult).
I'm not sure how other 24-yo's salaries in other jobs in other cities are relevant.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
48K after bonus, that is a good wage for recent college graduates. That is about the average for wages of 25 years old at that point.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,282 times
40k in NYC is very low, altho it seems to be par for the course for early-to-mid 20s ppl. when i sublet my apartment to 2 22 yr olds recently, their job offer letters furnishes as proof of income (among other documents) showed that each was making roughly $40k.

it is hard to survive in NYC on that income tho, unless you live way out in bklyn/queens.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
40k in NYC is very low, altho it seems to be par for the course for early-to-mid 20s ppl. when i sublet my apartment to 2 22 yr olds recently, their job offer letters furnishes as proof of income (among other documents) showed that each was making roughly $40k.

it is hard to survive in NYC on that income tho, unless you live way out in bklyn/queens.
Yep.

The thing that people don't understand is that tons of people working in NYC make pretty low wages.

There's people who need to make the city run. To run the grill at Wendy's in midtown, to run the register at Barnes and Noble on the Upper East Side, the barista at Starbucks in Gramercy.

These places aren't going to pay double just because their address happens to be in Manhattan. And similar to retail, just because an accounting firm or engineering firm happens to have a Manhattan address, it doesn't mean they're paying you much more.

When I was working in Manhattan, I was making the same as what I'd have been making in the 'burbs of NJ.

A few young girls worked with me and it ranged from 35K to 50K. A few were living in Manhattan.

You pay $900 to share a 4-bdrm, about $200 a week to go out to bars and restaurants, and then watch to see if you enter the red on your monthly statement.

Tons of people have done it. They want to experience the NYC lifestyle for a few years.

Doesn't mean they're making the salary to support it.

After the ride is over, they'll probably move and then the next person will come in fresh from college in Oklahoma and give it a twirl.

Last edited by jobaba; 08-06-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM

459 posts, read 1,744,953 times
I'll just speak to this since well. I am 24 and I'm also two years out of school. I also have a BA.

I currently make 50K + up to 5K in bonus each year. However, this job is essentially a training program to become a technical consultant.

My previous position paid 42K and it was more in line with my degree working in an advertising agency setting.

I live in the DFW area for COL reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment